Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!
Sign up

Inspire gone fishing

Joined
May 28, 2015
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Age
30
Hi,

Today the day came. After 87 flights with my inspire, it finally happened... While trying to land it on a small boat, it landed an just about letting the gravity do its job, and it slipped into the water. I dove into the water and caught it in just about 1-2 seconds in the water. But the battery blew off.

It is now totally disassembled to where I do not dare to do anything more and I used a hairdryer as long as I saw any water coming out from the bird.

Do anyone here have the experience of water+inspire+battery? What can I do the save as much of my Inspire as possible?? And is the battery running risks of exploding?

I really appreciate all help I can get out there from you guys!

Best//Karl
 

Mazz

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Aug 9, 2014
Messages
959
Reaction score
592
Location
NY
Keep the hair dryer away from it as you do not want to over heat anything and possibly melt something or loosen parts on the boards. Best advice I can give is wait as long as you are willing to wait before you let power run through it again. If you can wait a week, wait a week. Month? I would. Stick it somewhere and forget about it so it can air dry. You could take most electronics and put them under water with no power and they would still be fine as long as they are dried properly (and no capacitors are present and charged). The question is how much damage was done when it was powered on and wet....

Battery is most likely garbage.
 
Joined
Jun 27, 2015
Messages
801
Reaction score
240
Age
40
fresh water? find a large container that it will fit in and cover it with rice for a few days and you may get lucky. Salt water? go buy a new one :(
 
  • Like
Reactions: CaptainBadge

Mazz

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Aug 9, 2014
Messages
959
Reaction score
592
Location
NY
The rice myth was debunked a while ago. Sure rice will absorb water it touches but it will not suck it out of tiny areas. The best way to dry things is still moving air so air dry somewhere with an air current and use a vacuum or air compressor on low. If you are going to use a drying material, almost any drying agent is better than rice including kitty litter, silica gel, couscous, or even oatmeal. A short search will net you a lot of results.
 
Joined
Jun 27, 2015
Messages
801
Reaction score
240
Age
40
Never heard that i guess, its always worked for my cell phones! air compressors will blow moisture out the hose as well if you dont have a moisture collection device on it, especially if you live in a humid climate.
 
Joined
May 11, 2015
Messages
41
Reaction score
16
Age
51
I've used the rice method on my mobile when I dropped it in the toilet (don't ask...). I sealed it in a but and left it for two days and it worked fine for several months until I upgraded. That's gonna be a lot of rice and a big container for the I1!
 
Joined
May 28, 2015
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Age
30
I've used the rice method on my mobile when I dropped it in the toilet (don't ask...). I sealed it in a but and left it for two days and it worked fine for several months until I upgraded. That's gonna be a lot of rice and a big container for the I1!
Hell yes, 25kg of rice. Hope low budget rice works as well as "top notch"-rice.. Also heard about red t-spirit (Swedish concentrated alcohol), it will absorb liquid in some way from electrical gear. Used a hairdryer for the first few hours and then got the bird and camera sealed in a big plastic container with rice now for a week. Just holding my thumbs...! Thank you for the tips...!
 
Joined
Sep 13, 2015
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Age
49
Methylated Spirits worked for me. I completely submerged my I1 after hitting a cliff. Missed by that much.anyhow the battery and camera were ripped out prior to it entering the river and we're found a few days later up the cliff. The inspire was submerged for an hour as we had to steal a boat and make oar type things to get there. It was fresh water, I bought 60 litres of Methylated Spirits 100% which is water soluble. And dunked it in that for a day or two at all angles. No smoking. Then drained and spun it. Keep moving the angle periodically to cover all potential nooks etc.
then do the same with a blow heater once there is no visible signs of moisture again low heat for 24 to 36 hours.
Pondered power up. Did it. It works still and that was some moths ago. One thing I remember is the stereo sensor required replacement. So I'd remove that first in future.
I was surprised how well it handle such hardcore abuse.
I then crashed it into my gutter recently and dropped 8 ft and that did more damage than 60mph into a 300ft cliff and breaking up on the way down.
Just lucky

Also if you have water in your petrol tank of your car I do the same thing pour in a little Meths and its water solubility then mixes with the metho and burns. A little roughly but it works
 

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
19,630
Messages
192,107
Members
29,002
Latest member
Jimmy6616