Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire range extender UK

Reaction score
Hi,

Is there anyone in the UK that does the controller modifications to increase the video feed of the Inspire.

Thanks

Andy

Worth trying this DIY free mod first:

Test video for the DIY P3/Inspire antenna booster. He runs out of connection juice at 2500m using stock P3 antennas. Then he puts the DIY boosters on and goes to 4100m where signal is still strong but he has to turn back due to batteries. That's a 64% increase. Not bad for less than $2 worth of material.

Reactions: Ascender
For the DIY-ers:

• Material required: cardboard, aluminum foil (or aluminum/copper tape)

• Tools required: printer, scissors, utility knife, glue, double tape (I use double tape to stick aluminium foil onto cardboard)

• DIY steps:

1. Print 2 copies of the PDF template on A4/Letter size paper (or direct on cardboard if your printer support) from the download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6EvPgvmsFJlcVZ3QU5BZlFkVkk/view?usp=sharing

2. Follow the steps: https://rchelimenace.wordpress.com/how-to-build-your-own-windsurfer-antenna/

Reactions: Ascender
Hi,

Is there anyone in the UK that does the controller modifications to increase the video feed of the Inspire.

Thanks

Andy

I can neither condone or approve the modification as I want to stay neutral but you should be aware that in the UK if you do decide to go ahead with it

• You will be breaking the law under OFCOM for going outside the permitted EIRP for fixed antenna 2.4ghz transmitting devices
  • If you operate commercially, you will have to specify your transmitters output power (which for the UK is 100mW/20dBa EIRP) in your ops manual
  • It is possible you will not be covered by your liability insurers (if operating commercially) since you will be conducting flights outside of your operational limits
Just be aware of the above.

Apart from all of that - yes, you will be able to fly further !

See, I said I was neutral :p

Ed: With the proviso that I suspect you've forgotten more about antenna theory than I currently know, how are these "reflectors" working?

Are they just acting as a parabolic dish antenna? What does that do to the "standing wave ratio" (SWR) of the transmitting antenna? Is there a risk that they increase the SWR to the point that Really Bad Things happen to the amount of RF power reflected back into the output stage of the transmitter?

Andy. (EDIT: And I mean, "the Other Andy")

Ed: With the proviso that I suspect you've forgotten more about antenna theory than I currently know, how are these "reflectors" working?

Are they just acting as a parabolic dish antenna? What does that do to the "standing wave ratio" (SWR) of the transmitting antenna? Is there a risk that they increase the SWR to the point that Really Bad Things happen to the amount of RF power reflected back into the output stage of the transmitter?

Andy. (EDIT: And I mean, "the Other Andy")

Yup, they are just acting as a passive reflector and concentrating the RF energy in a focussed direction. The beam angle is obviously more narrow than a 'doughnut' and therefore if you go too far off axis you will lose both uplink and downlink with the Inspire (if you were a fair way out).
The reason they are illegal in certain countries is although the output power of the transmitter remains the same the effective radiated power in the direction of beam is increased (due to the gain by the reflector) and therefore breaks the legally permissible emissions put in place by the relevant authority.
SWR should not be an issue in this case as the termination impedance of the antenna remains the same.
Hope that helps :)

Thanks, Ed. Yeah.... the asymmetric radiation pattern with a radial "beam" at elevated power would elevate the EIRP along that beam as you said in your first post.

Thanks
The Other Andy.

There is a guy over on Facebook called Tom Hodgins that does the same mod as Freddy in the USA, they are actually about to pair up in business together. Sent him mine this morning and will have it back Friday morning. £109 inc postage and 2 new Antennas

Will these boosters have a negative effect on situations where you do not point the antennas exactly to the inspire? How should you when its 3KM away and you dont see it. Lets say you hold it 45 degrees in the wrong direction will is loose signal then?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry