Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire vs GH2 footage

Reaction score
Website
vimeo.com
Shot two weekends in a row. One from an Inspire (shot 4K) and the other from a GH2 (1080P is it's max)
Resolution isn't everything when it comes to good imagery, color depth, contrast, glass and native sensor size all matter. That said, after shooting stills and video, I was thinking the Inspire wasn't all that. But set up side by side against a 4/3 camera on a heavy lift rig, I have to give my vote for the DJI camera/Inspire platform for video.

The flight characteristics are actually better on the smaller Inspire, and the range was better given the battery capacity and aircraft weight compared to a 10K mah Lipo on the S800.
The video looks great and there is a LOT less hassle getting prepped and in the air compared to the big bird.

Was thinking about getting a gimbal for the new Sony Camera but now, not so sure it's worth the money, maintenance and bulk to fly the S800

Here's The S800 footage

And here's the Inspire video

Great side by side comparison. I am with you on setup. If I can get flying quicker it scores major points with me.

I actually prefer the I1's image. Of course the sun helps, but the fact the S800 cam shakes a bit instantly removes a lot of points IMO. Had the same on our S900/GH4, the Z15 is significantly less stable.

I'm with ya. I have an Aeronavics Skyjib with a GH3. I really need to be able to take my vehicle very close to the take off point or it takes an age to get going if everything is packed down in the flight cases. I love the simplicity of the Inspire 1. The images are not too shabby either.

Awesome comparison. Thanks for this! We do professional video production so of course were torn between the inspire and an s900/gh4 rig. So far I'm quite happy with the inspire so we'll pay it off first before looking to invest ~12k in a rig with marginal (yet important) improvements.

So far I'm quite happy with the inspire so we'll pay it off first before looking to invest ~12k in a rig with marginal (yet important) improvements.
I don't think the difference between the Inspire camera and the GH4 is marginal; I think it's huge. But one of two things needs to happen to fix this deficiency:
  1. DJI needs to offer a better camera option. They recently joined the Micro Four Thirds consortium, so it would appear that they are at least investigating that option.
  2. DJI needs to add the Inspire flight control system as an option on the S900, and make it work with the Inspire controllers and Pilot App. Wouldn't it be nice to use the Pilot App to fly your S900, take photos with your GH4, start and stop video, etc.?

Reactions: The Editor
I actually prefer the I1's image. Of course the sun helps, but the fact the S800 cam shakes a bit instantly removes a lot of points IMO. Had the same on our S900/GH4, the Z15 is significantly less stable.

Nice comparison!

Granted, I've not flown anything other than I1, I agree with Kilrah. Having used many cameras over the years, I am really impressed with the camera on the Inspire 1. No it isn't perfect. But for what it is, it's a great little camera. The images that come out of this little bad boy are amazing, in my estimation. I can hardly wait to see what they offer in the way of upgrades in the not too distant future.

Awesome comparison. Thanks for this! We do professional video production so of course were torn between the inspire and an s900/gh4 rig. So far I'm quite happy with the inspire so we'll pay it off first before looking to invest ~12k in a rig with marginal (yet important) improvements.

With DJI now part of the Micro Four Thirds (MFT) consortium, many of us hope they are working on a plug and play MFT 4K camera upgrade for the Inspire bringing it close to the LUMIX GH4 in image quality.

Time will tell...

DJI needs to add the Inspire flight control system as an option on the S900, and make it work with the Inspire controllers and Pilot App. Wouldn't it be nice to use the Pilot App to fly your S900, take photos with your GH4, start and stop video, etc.?

I wouldn't count on it, but I wouldn't be surprised if an Inspire camera upgrade were in the works and/or an Inspire 2 were on he drawing boards with an advanced higher quality camera as its centerpiece.

Retrofitting the S900 with all the mods the Inspire has and somehow getting all that to natively work with the Panasonic GH4 doesn't seem feasible or likely to me.

So my Inspire returns home from replacement Tuesday. Going to bring out a Phantom with a GoPro4, the S800 and Inspire to shoot stills. Thinking the Big rig will kick butt on that one. after two weeks with out the Inspire, gotta say, I miss it.

I so agree guys.. I always thought bigger/better (looks more impressive anyway!).. And i was rubbing my wounds when I lost NZ$8k on my S800 setup.. but man I dont miss the rigmarole.. In fact I always feel Ive forgotten something with the Inspire.. too easy! .. I definitely think the I1 cam is better that the SonyNex5n (aside from res)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo