Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire will launch from boat so I'm buying

I bought one...a life preserver for a quad.. good idea if you want to fly over water and want to recover you investment in case of an unforseen problem. .

Most of the scenic areas by where I live, and where I want to shoot, are by a river. So that kind of seems appealing to me. I'm always somewhat nervous when I fly it over the river.

Seems useless to me as this can only be good if you actually plan to land and take-off from water. Not sure how/when anyone would risk this (except for the purpose of making a YouTube video). Chances are, if something bad were to happen in mid-air (like a prop falling off, or engine failure) I doubt it would fall straight on all fours so the Inspire would be done with anyhow. Furthermore, the foam balls must surely appear in the footage.

I prefer these options instead. Less intrusive and can help recover a unit if in water.
image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
I do not think that your Getterback will release like that!

The part with the text on it needs to sit free. On the pictures it looks like the tip is pushing against the bar.

Seems useless to me as this can only be good if you actually plan to land and take-off from water. Not sure how/when anyone would risk this (except for the purpose of making a YouTube video). Chances are, if something bad were to happen in mid-air (like a prop falling off, or engine failure) I doubt it would fall straight on all fours so the Inspire would be done with anyhow. Furthermore, the foam balls must surely appear in the footage.

I prefer these options instead. Less intrusive and can help recover a unit if in water.
View attachment 241 View attachment 242
View attachment 241
That's pretty cool..how does it work? ?

OP... This does not prove that you can launch after a fresh power up from a boat.. The original launch was from land and while they cut the motors in the water they did not do a power cycle... That being said I would not worry about the boat launch fiasco I am sure they will fix that in a firmware update!! That's a big thing for me too and I placed my order on Thursday... Guess what else... I placed my order for an iPad air today. 8-0. Yeah I believe the apple fiasco will be behind us soon too!!

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Styrofoam balls??

I think these guys have balls of steel doing antics like that.. hats off to them.. Mad enough trailing a inspire using a phantom but to fly though a fence and drop the inspire on to choppy waters and film the whole thing with another phantom... what can I say to beat that. I am sure the quadcopter cops can't criticise any health and safety issues as nobody was harmed as far as I can see. I hope all those grounded pilots feel 'inspired' to get off and start flying when you see what the lads in the far east are upto.

I am sure the quadcopter cops can't criticise any health and safety issues as nobody was harmed as far as I can see
Note it was also Hong Kong, which from what I understand is a lot more sane (or 'reckless', depending on your POV) on stuff like this.

If this was Ming from RCGroups, I'm was quite surprised to see the camera on it; I know from his initial tests, he had the camera off, as there were questions on the clearances. Would have loved to seen a head-on, eye-level shot of the Inspire on the water.

Edit: Ah, it was! And he did post video - check the last one, called 'DJI 0009'. First landing at 0:40. The water wasn't all that calm, either. Pretty friggin impressive.

I do not think that your Getterback will release like that!

The part with the text on it needs to sit free. On the pictures it looks like the tip is pushing against the bar.
Also, early tests I saw using the Getterback proved it to be less than reliable deployment-wise...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry