Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire X5S and Osmo

Pretty much. The I-1 is the spare now...give the P4 (former spare) away. Not wort h much now

Believe me I understand the need for prores, I have been wanting it on an inspire since it first came out. What I'm saying is why build the 'processing unit' as part of the craft and not as part of the camera like it currently is?
My take is that the processing unit is really complex/expensive/big/has other requirements e.g. cooling, and having one in the aircraft shared between all cameras works out better than putting one in each camera.

Ok so to DJI what exactly is the advantage to doing this and over engineering the product in this way?
The primary goal is to make the camera as light as possible, so that the gimbal can keep it steady. So anything that doesn't have to be on the camera isn't on the camera.

A second goal is to avoid duplication. If you buy a drone and two cameras, do you want to pay for two image processors, or one?

Reactions: Stuart Covey
I'm not certain that you understand how much of an increase of data rate and quality this is. It's Huge it's double the data for each camera. It's outputting both ProRes and CineRaw which are two totally new and huge steps up in quality. Its not changing a SoC this is a completely new image engine. The fact that they have scaled it to the size they have in the fuselage is a huge leap forward.

Ok but what about us photographers that only need a better sensor and no prores or cineraw? I hope that they will release a new camera for the Inspire 1, we need an X3s with a a 1inch sensor or a 4/3 with focus on photos not video.

Reactions: Droneyboy
I'm with you on this one Johnathon.........but........... I will get the 5s for the larger sensor and lens changing capabilities..........and if the video bug bites me I'm covered.
My concern is the flight time with the 5s vs 4s.

I hope that they will release a new camera for the Inspire 1, we need an X3s with a a 1inch sensor or a 4/3 with focus on photos not video.
They should release an X3 camera with the upgraded sensor and improved bitrate found on the X4S. But the likely won't; the Inspire 1's camera/craft connection is old news, and I doubt they will produce any new products for it.

As for "a 4/3 with focus on photos not video", I think that's what the X5 is. I assume you are looking for an Inspire 1-compatible camera with the higher-resolution 20MP sensor from the X5S. But again, I don't think that's going to happen.

I dunno I just hate companies that force you to invest in an entire line of products, and then on the next iteration of the product they scrap everything and you have to buy a completely new system. If you're a professional video producer, you likely stick with the name brand you like and you can upgrade sequentially things like camera bodies, glass, recording media etc. etc. Yes I realize this is not a solely a camera company but the same principle applies.
They have the monopoly though so I guess it doesn't matter to them.

Reactions: Phatzo
I agree; the Inspire 1 was designed to be an upgradeable platform. And they even offered an upgraded camera that was compatible with the original Inspire 1 craft. That system was working.

But apparently when designing the Inspire 1, they didn't have enough foresight into what the Inspire 2 would look like. The Inspire 2 design is better; I just wish that they had gone straight to that design, even if it had taken an extra year.

But I wouldn't say that I wish that the Inspire 2 had the same camera/craft interconnect as the Inspire 1. The Inspire 2's is better, and hopefully they will stick with that system for the next 5 years.

I dont understand why everyone is ok with integrating the camera with the aircraft, this just means that you will be buying a new aircraft every time you want to upgrade your camera. The actual inspire 1 is a great aircraft and should be able to fly for a few more years as a quality production unit, all the bells and whistles of the Inspire 2 are great don't get me wrong, but they are not worth upgrading. The only reason worth upgrading is the new camera system. DJI knows this. So they are forcing us to upgrade. I'm not complaining, just a little disappointed I guess.

Reactions: gruvpix
I dont understand why everyone is ok with integrating the camera with the aircraft, this just means that you will be buying a new aircraft every time you want to upgrade your camera. The actual inspire 1 is a great aircraft and should be able to fly for a few more years as a quality production unit, all the bells and whistles of the Inspire 2 are great don't get me wrong, but they are not worth upgrading. The only reason worth upgrading is the new camera system. DJI knows this. So they are forcing us to upgrade. I'm not complaining, just a little disappointed I guess.

Other way around. With the new Core Imaging Engine they have the capacity to improve the sensor at anytime. meaning as sensors get better and quieter they electronics don't need to be changed

Other way around. With the new Core Imaging Engine they have the capacity to improve the sensor at anytime. meaning as sensors get better and quieter they electronics don't need to be changed

So you think that DJI a year from now is going to release a camera that is compatible with a year old "Core Imaging Engine" what in their past leads you to believe this? They will release the Inspire 3 with Core Imaging Engine 2 capable of whatever new technology they are selling and the new cameras require core image engine 2. they might release a new camera 6 months from now that is marginaly better than the current cameras and compatible with the current Inspire 2 but not a year from now, you will have to buy whatever new bird they are selling. Integrating the imaging engine inside the aircraft is another way they will force everyone to upgrade every year.

Reactions: gruvpix
So you think that DJI a year from now is going to release a camera that is compatible with a year old "Core Imaging Engine" what in their past leads you to believe this? They will release the Inspire 3 with Core Imaging Engine 2 capable of whatever new technology they are selling and the new cameras require core image engine 2. they might release a new camera 6 months from now that is marginaly better than the current cameras and compatible with the current Inspire 2 but not a year from now, you will have to buy whatever new bird they are selling. Integrating the imaging engine inside the aircraft is another way they will force everyone to upgrade every year.

My wife(partner) expects that I upgrade every year as long as it pays for itself within a month or 2...........Pleasant surprise to hear her say this to me............ it was indeed.

Believe me I understand the need for prores, I have been wanting it on an inspire since it first came out. What I'm saying is why build the 'processing unit' as part of the craft and not as part of the camera like it currently is?
Prores is so yesterday!
Broadcasters are using XAVC Intraframe or Long Gop now as it is the same quality as Prores but HALF the bit rate!

Broadcasters will accept all codecs as long as it is shot in the chosen format I / P

That's not even correct. Broadcasters have delivery requirements and even then unless it's able to cut into the existing footage ant look like it they don't want to use it.

DJIs gotta make their money. Just cough it up. If the others can't or won't, it becomes a marketing/differentiation tool for you. i.e. My gear is better than the rest....blah blah blah...smoke and mirrors. But truth be told. that inspire 2 is bad ***. Its faster, its got dual battery redundancy, longer flight time and obstacle avoidance.

Not only what has been said above but some of the gripes relating to the I1 had to do with the reliability of the connection interface. Too early to say but perhaps DJI have improved this as well?

So many DJI kool-aid drinkers and so much misinformation on here...
Broadcasters are looking for Sony XAVC codec... Right...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan