Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

iOS or Android!

Reaction score
I’m looking to find a percentage of users on these operating systems on a m200 series platform. As with most other subjects, there are varying opinions.
Your thoughts? Your preference?

I know you specifically asked about the m200, but I feel this information may help, so here goes...

I use strictly iPads for all three of my drones;

* Inspire 1
* P4P
* Mavic Pro

I have 3 iPads;

* 9.7" Air 1 (16GB) (Thunderbolt interface)
* 9.7" Air Pro (Gen 1) (32GB) (Thunderbolt interface)
* 12.9" Air Pro (Gen 3) (500GB) (USB-C interface) (Has built-in GPS)

None of them have cell capability.

As much as we have been plagued with software/firmware annoyances (as much anybody but a lot less than most), the iPads have been rock solid performers. I never have to worry about them. They always "just work." NOTE: My STRONG advice is to not allow automatic updates of any kind, including iOS and software. Once it works, leave it alone.

The other thing worth noting is that iPads are "rider friendly." If you show up on set with iPads, they know you're serious about your work. It's just a perception the film industry has.

1 exception:

Every week I use a program called Autopilot. At first I used my Air 1, which seemed to work fine. But a few updates later, the Air 1 is no longer "powerful" enough for Autopilot missions. This manifests itself as random program shutdown in the middle of a mission. The program just goes away with no warning, no error messages. And the bird just hovers in space. This is because Autopilot slaves the iPad as a flight controller, which is VERY resource heavy. Warmer weather exacerbates this condition. In a nutshell, the Air 1 is no longer powerful enough to be used as a flight controller.

Enter the Air Pro. I purchased the Air Pro because it has double the processing power of the Air 1. This MOSTLY solved the random shutdown problem. The only way the Air Pro will display the same symptoms is if it is very hot outside and I allow the Air Pro to remain in the sun. As long as I'm in the shade, I can complete my weekly Autopilot missions without issue.

I use the Gen 3 Air Pro 12.9" for mapping simply because I like the larger screen, the larger storage capacity (so I can "screen record" flights for forensic purposes) and the built in GPS, which is a real help for dynamic home point (Called "Movable Home Point" by DJI and other vendors).

Also worth noting is all three iPads are for work only. I don't do email, messages, web surfing, "face time," etc. I use them for my drone company and I also own a sound company, so I use them for that purpose, as well. All superfluous programs have been removed and the iPads are essentially locked down to their present iOS and software (app) versions. The only way I allow an app to update is if I have an exit strategy to go back to previous app version. The Go App and Go 4 App have been locked down for years; v3.1.1 and v4.0.8 respectively.

I tell you all this because your question is very broad. If you're sticking with strictly DJI software offerings, any iPad should work. You can find Air 1, 9.7" WiFi iPads on eBay for cheap - less than 200 bucks. They're so cheap, I almost just purchased a 4th iPad...but I honestly don't need one.

Worth noting: The batteries are not replaceable (as far as I know), so that's a consideration. As of this writing my Air 1 is still going strong with zero battery issues.

Anyway...I hope this helps.

D

Last edited:
M200 series, as I’ve been told, uses the DJI pilot app, so will be new to me.
All the other DJI products that I have(very addictive hobby)work well with Apple products and I have no real complaints other than just what you mentioned regarding updates on both systems. Auto updates are to be avoided at all costs is a lesson I learned years ago.
Thanks for the input.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
You can use iPad and Ground Station Pro for M200. Can also use DGI GO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry