Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

IOS Simulator Mode

Reaction score
I know the sim only works on the Apple devices (discovered after buying an android tablet - Doh!)

I have used the sim a few times.

Can anyone explain why the I1 needs to be powered up (with blades off - that bit is obvious), but why does it need to be powered up at all for the sim program to work? Surely the "magic" needed to have a controller talk to a tablet or phone should be enough for a sim scenario - or has this been changed in recent software upgrades? (away from my I1 for the last few weeks).

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions to DJI if situation is still as I described.

I would believe the flight dynamics are calculated by the Inspire's FC as if it was flying for real instead of running on the tablet. I.e. the RC inputs are sent to the craft, the FC calculates its state with the real algorithms it uses in flight, and just sends state data back to the tablet for display.

I would have thought the sim itself would have been able to do that - there are many other sims out there in the RC world that do not require "handshaking" with the actual device - It would open up more opportunities for practice if the I1 wasn't needed - Just a thought!

I would have thought the sim itself would have been able to do that - there are many other sims out there in the RC world that do not require "handshaking" with the actual device - It would open up more opportunities for practice if the I1 wasn't needed - Just a thought!

I agree that DJI should make the flight simulator standalone without the need to power on the i1. When I received my i1 I initially planned to fly a couple hundred hours on the sim before attempting a maiden flight but once I had to unpack the i1 and operate the sim on my iphone 6+ screen (another gripe is that DJI should figure out a way we can fly the sim on a larger screen than the tablet / or phone the controller is connected to) my sim hours dropped to single digits (about 4 hours) before I attempted a maiden flight. :)

I agree that DJI should make the flight simulator standalone without the need to power on the i1. When I received my i1 I initially planned to fly a couple hundred hours on the sim before attempting a maiden flight but once I had to unpack the i1 and operate the sim on my iphone 6+ screen (another gripe is that DJI should figure out a way we can fly the sim on a larger screen than the tablet / or phone the controller is connected to) my sim hours dropped to single digits (about 4 hours) before I attempted a maiden flight. :)

They probably want to make sure only paying customers fly the sim.... Imagine if you activate an instance of DJI pilot just to give your friends a chance to practice without paying... Big No No..

My (humble) opinion is that it is great that the I1 has to be on and (radio)connected. That way, every setting you want to try out, actually is calculated by the flight controller from the craft itself.

The sim is much more than a little sim play. It is an accurate representation of the actual state of the flight controller/software settings. You can even use it on the location where you are supposed to fly, prior to the mission. Just to try out different settings if needed. For instance, you find out that the only way to fly safe would be atti. Dial in the current wind and direction and see how it will react and what wind drift you will face. Use the little map to see how the course would be with wind drift and what objects might be in the way when it would drift out of control for whatever reason.

Just my 2 cents

Going to play with it now, the weather sucks :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84