Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Ipad mini 3 with Wifi only with Pilot

Reaction score
I was told to buy the IPad mini with Wi-Fi only for my Inspire. The problem I have, is finding my location for a home point. Does the Inspire and or radio have to be on for it to find the location you are at on the map function? While at home on my Wi-Fi, it did show home sat picture on the map function. I know I can use my IPhone as a Hot Spot, but when I move 90 miles to our ranch, it would not pick up the location, although I never turned on the Radio and Inspire.

I download the app to my IPhone as well and it seems to work without me having the Inspire or Radio on?

Should I have bought the IPad with Cell capabilities? Is it necessary! Anyone using Wi-Fi only?

I also notice a blue circle covering my home area, at times it can cover a large area. What is it for?

Sorry for the amateur questions, but I’m new to Quads!

If you wanted GPS positioning you should buy the ipad with cell. Otherwise load the map prior to leaving wifi into the inspire pilot software. The remote control has GPS built in and will show your location on the map.

If you wanted GPS positioning you should buy the ipad with cell. Otherwise load the map prior to leaving wifi into the inspire pilot software. The remote control has GPS built in and will show your location on the map.
Or you can hotspot to your cell (if there's reception where you're flying) and cache the maps on site.

Reactions: Tahoejmfc
The problem is caching a map that is 90 miles away is a pain. You have to scroll across plenty of map to get to it. Seems like the app would be like Google Earth, you could enter a street address or nav coordinates to quickly find a location.

Also seems using the phone as a hot spot should work.

I will take the Inspire with me a few miles out of town and try using just the IPad with the Pilot program in map function. Then try it with the IPhone in Hot spot, then try it with the Inspire and radio on and see what happens. If no luck, then I’ll return the IPad for the cellular one. The only problem is if you can’t get cell access, like when you are way out in west Texas.

So if I have no cell or Wi-Fi, I can sit at home on Wi-Fi and I want maps waaaaaay out in west Texas, I’ll have to scroll and scroll across to get there so it is cached in memory??

Zoom out, scroll a bit once, zoom back in? Takes like 30 seconds.

Does the Inspire and or radio have to be on for it to find the location you are at on the map function?
Yes.

Your phone has a GPS and access to cell tower triangulation so it knows where it is and will show your location staight away. The WiFi only iPad doesn't, so it has no idea where it is at first. When you power everything on it will get location data from the I1 radio's built-in GPS and put you there.

Zoom out, scroll a bit once, zoom back in? Takes like 30 seconds.

Yes.

Your phone has a GPS and access to cell tower triangulation so it knows where it is and will show your location staight away. The WiFi only iPad doesn't, so it has no idea where it is at first. When you power everything on it will get location data from the I1 radio's built-in GPS and put you there.

So there is really no need to spend the $100 extra bucks for the cell service IPad or are their other advantages I'm unaware of?

So there is really no need to spend the $100 extra bucks for the cell service IPad or are their other advantages I'm unaware of?

Not there really isn't. I have the ipad 3 wifi only model and it works just great. Like others have said, you can either cache the map before heading away or just hot-spot and load the map on site. Its not quite as convenient I guess but really, this is a first world problem.

Reactions: PB30X
Not there really isn't. I have the ipad 3 wifi only model and it works just great. Like others have said, you can either cache the map before heading away or just hot-spot and load the map on site. Its not quite as convenient I guess but really, this is a first world problem.

Thank you! Being new to all this I get concerned, especially with the investment! Had mine for a few weeks, but with our wet weather have not had time to try it yet and now we hit our busy season.

You ever seen the blue circle on your IPad. It's like a halo and obscures the map.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 26
I was told to buy the IPad mini with Wi-Fi only for my Inspire. The problem I have, is finding my location for a home point. Does the Inspire and or radio have to be on for it to find the location you are at on the map function? While at home on my Wi-Fi, it did show home sat picture on the map function. I know I can use my IPhone as a Hot Spot, but when I move 90 miles to our ranch, it would not pick up the location, although I never turned on the Radio and Inspire.

I download the app to my IPhone as well and it seems to work without me having the Inspire or Radio on?

Should I have bought the IPad with Cell capabilities? Is it necessary! Anyone using Wi-Fi only?

I also notice a blue circle covering my home area, at times it can cover a large area. What is it for?

Sorry for the amateur questions, but I’m new to Quads!
use ur cell phone as hotspot and tether the data to your ipad when out in field. The Ipad will use the iphones gps for Location i believe (could be wrong) but i thought i read that when tethered it grabs the location stuff from phone. i have Ipad air 2 and i always tether to the ipad for map.

Correct, but ,make sure to turn off the hotspot prior to flying
I believe you dont have to turn off hotspot during flight. I have never had problems with any interference from my cell. and i tether for map data, but yes you could cache the map first and do it that way

I believe you dont have to turn off hotspot during flight. I have never had problems with any interference from my cell. and i tether for map data, but yes you could cache the map first and do it that way
Have you ever gotten a text message while flying? It completely wipes out the video signal

I never have. I leave the iPad (w/celluar) fully turned on so I always have Internet access. Plus I have a full cellphone (RF-16V locater) strapped to the bird. Never had a single problem, even at extreme distances, 2000 - 3000 feet.

I never have. I leave the iPad (w/celluar) fully turned on so I always have Internet access. Plus I have a full cellphone (RF-16V locater) strapped to the bird. Never had a single problem, even at extreme distances, 2000 - 3000 feet.
Yet!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry