Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

iPad pro or crystalsky

Reaction score
I know this is a lot like apples and oranges (no pun intended) but I would like to hear the pros and cons from pilots that have used both and why you recommend one over the other.

I have the option of buying a new iPad pro or a crystalsky ultra bright and I'm tossed on which would be best. I understand that the ultra bright should be a no brainer due to the visibility in direct sun, but with the additional use of the iPad and the screen size, there's pros for each.

Let's hear your opinions!

Here my experience with the CrystalSky (CS):

Pro:
Screen is very sharp and bright (HB unit) and very bright (UB unit)
Battery life
Battery can be exchanged on the fly with a fresh one
There are a micro-USB and an USB-C port to connect to the unit
There is a HDMI OUT port

Con:
CS can not be used as a normal standalone monitor (No HDMI IN)
It is sometimes cumbersome (or impossible at all) to install 3rd party software
The screen is sometimes unresponsive (especially in the corners)
DJI updates the CS (either firmware or the onboard apps GO, GO4 and Pilot) very, very slowly ...
(You are sometimes 2, 3 or more versions behind the current IOS or Android versions)

When on a job, i always bring an iPad 9.7" with me.
I found myself operating DJI aircraft more than 60% of the time with the iPad. CS (GO, GO4 or Pilot) lacks of having GS Pro's mission planning capabilities. (DJI Pilot's waypoints are, IMO, not even comparable to GS Pro capabilities or 3rd party apps like Autopilot)

I hope that helps,
//K

I use both the iPad 9.7” & CS Ultra Bright and would agree with all of the points made by Keule.

My only additional observation is around the reliability of the CS UB, which not only becomes very slow to respond to touch at times but also crashes quite regularly.

I recon in a week with perhaps 50 flights I will experience at least one Go4 crash or complete system lockup, requiring a power cycle to cure.

Whilst these lockups, slow app updates and lack of 3rd party app support are annoying, the brightness of the display leaves me no option but to keep using the CS UB for most of my work.

After talking it over with my wife, I think we have decided to go with both......the stock dji controller that came with the inspire 2 will get the iPad pro and I'll get the crystalsky for use with a cendence controller.

Typically we only use one at a time even though we have the option for separate pilot and gimbal operators but at least this will give us options to choose from.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

I agree with the other two people who said they carry both with them for specific reasons. I too have both of them (several sizes of iPads and the 7.85” UB crystal sky monitor) but I primarily use my iPads simply because I prefer iOS devices over Android based systems. That’s the biggest drawback for me is the Android based system with the crystal sky monitor. Both have pros and cons.
I don’t think you can go wrong with your decision of having both of them.

I agree with the other two people who said they carry both with them for specific reasons. I too have both of them (several sizes of iPads and the 7.85” UB crystal sky monitor) but I primarily use my iPads simply because I prefer iOS devices over Android based systems. That’s the biggest drawback for me is the Android based system with the crystal sky monitor. Both have pros and cons.
I don’t think you can go wrong with your decision of having both of them.

Unfortunately yes, I also have both. I use the iPad mini 4 90% of the time and the CS only when I’m in bright sunlight. It lags all the time when trying to press a selection onscreen. I have the 7.85 HB version. (It’s my 2nd because the first one always got hung and kept restarting.). This one is better but still reboots frequently.

Reactions: Phil DeVore
Unfortunately I bought my UB 7.85” crystal sky when it first came out December 2017 and it had overheating problems. After fighting with it for almost 6 months I read where it was a common issue with the earliest versions so I sent it back to DJI and they sent me a replacement (unbelievably) and it still overheats but not quite as badly as the original one.
But like I said before I hardly ever use it and 95% of the time I use my iPads unless it’s extremely bright outside. I just find it’s easier for me to use iOS devices for flying my drones. Android based systems are just not my style! :(

ter talking it over with my wife, I think we have decided to go with both
Seems like a wise choice. Here are some additional pros/cons to add to those listed above, in case they help others decide:

- CS works fine in very cold conditions. I;ve used it in temps as low as 10F successfully, while the iPad does not like operating at temps below 32F. I've had a fully charged iPad's power management system think that the battery has dropped to below critical level in just a few minutes when operating in sub 32 temps, causing it to go into emergency power saving mode (i.e. not usable). Before I got the CS I rigged up various hacks for trying warm my iPad during flights, but they never worked very well. For cold weather flying the CS is the better choice. Of course there are many other challenges to safe/comfortable cold weather flying, but the CS definitely helps.

- CS lack of cellular data connection is a problem if I have forgotten to cache maps via wifi, and sometimes CS seems to lose its cached maps. And the current version of Go4 on CS does not show the drone position and straight line back to home on the map display if there;s no map data. I prefer to use my iPad for longer distance flights, partly for this reason.

- Go 4 app does not run reliably on CS...I can go for days without any problems, and then I'll hit a streak of mid-flight dropped connections to the drone, application hangs, and even device crashes. This can be incredibly frustrating, unsafe, and does not impress customers at all. When I'm in a situation where I can't afford to deal with the CS reliability issues, I use my iPad.

But I do love the CS screen (I have the larger, Ultra Bright), so I use it when conditions allow, and when its too cold out for my iPad.

- Go 4 app does not run reliably on CS...I can go for days without any problems, and then I'll hit a streak of mid-flight dropped connections to the drone, application hangs, and even device crashes. This can be incredibly frustrating, unsafe, and does not impress customers at all. When I'm in a situation where I can't afford to deal with the CS reliability issues, I use my iPad.

It sounds like you (like many others) are experiencing exactly the same patchy reliability that I do.

At first I thought it was just the kind of reliability I should expect from an Android device so I just lived with it. One day, when in my local DJI dealer I mentioned the random issues I had with the CS ultra bright and they suggested it wasn’t normal and that it should be sent back to DJI for repair/replacement.

Having now sent it back (a three week process) I have received my original unit back with no fault report but it seems to be just as flaky as it always was ... a total waste of time.

If this is normal performance for the CS then maybe we should be getting together to try to get DJI to sort it out?

Is there anyone out there NOT having issues with their CS ultra bright?

Having now sent it back (a three week process) I have received my original unit back with no fault report but it seems to be just as flaky as it always was ... a total waste of time.

If this is normal performance for the CS then maybe we should be getting together to try to get DJI to sort it out?

Is there anyone out there NOT having issues with their CS ultra bright?

Yes, my CS went back to DJI too, but it was to fix a failed screen...a well known/discussed problem that DJI took care of under warranty.

A bit more about my issues with disconnects and hangs using Go4 on my CS. I started out using my CS with an I1, so was running the Go App (not Go 4). That combo worked fine. I did not experience reliability problems until I got an I2 and started running the Go4 App. I also experienced disconnects during flight using Go4 on an old iPad Mini, but not on newer iPads or an iPhone X. In contrast, I never experience disconnects when controlling my I2 using the Litchi app, even on my old iPad mini. So I believe this is a problem with the Go4 App, and especially the CS version, which has not been updated for quite a while. I'm pretty cynical about our ability to influence DJI's development priorities. But if you have a strategy in mind I'll certainly lend my vote/input.

Good luck trying to get DJI to do ANYTHING that would benefit us except on their timetable! But as the other person said if you have any ideas on how to speed them up count me in.

I had the CS HB and sold it due to the unreliability. I only use the IPad and if is too bright outside, I'll use my hood. I'll choose reliability and quicker response over brightness all day long.

Personally I don’t think any strategy will effect how DJI operates. They seem to move at their own speed when it comes to fixing anything that has to do with their products. They seem to get around to fixing firmware, software, Crystal sky monitor problems, etc. when it’s convenient for them. Maybe I just have a bad attitude towards them but they’ve given me good cause to be cynical about them.

Agree with above comments... I use both, prefer the 10.5 iPad Pro... but really wanted to prefer the CS UB but I don’t use it much. As others, my 1st CS UB burnt out 2 hrs old and DJI quickly sent a replacement. It still gets warm-hot, but runs much better, although not as smooth as expected and I’m still waiting for the much improved firmware.

iPad Other than heat... Sunlight baking the screen causing a hung condition, it’s overal smooth. I also purchased a Mini 4 Cellular but rarely use it, under powered. I’ve also found a Hoodman’s full hood & snorkel actually keep the iPad cooler stopping the sun baking.

Although I recently took a different path, and very impressed. The CS uses a propritary Android OS, limiting apps approved to install... it’s not a current OS and it doesn’t allow Google apps, or playstore to install which limits it’s flexibility.

New Tool:
I picked up a Samsung Tab 4S, and it runs! I had a strong interest in Drone Harmony and UgCS, and both require Android as well as other specialty apps beginning to appear for Android only. The Tab S4 is about the size of an iPad Pro 10.5, and physically similar size in thickness and weight. Like the Android phones, the Tab S4 simply runs, fast & smooth... I’d say faster than an 10.5” iPad Pro. It’s becomming my favorite screen.

Last edited:
I know this is a lot like apples and oranges (no pun intended) but I would like to hear the pros and cons from pilots that have used both and why you recommend one over the other.

I have the option of buying a new iPad pro or a crystalsky ultra bright and I'm tossed on which would be best. I understand that the ultra bright should be a no brainer due to the visibility in direct sun, but with the additional use of the iPad and the screen size, there's pros for each.

Let's hear your opinions!
Some apps will not run on the CS, keep that in mind. Having both is the best option.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudyLions