Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Is it OK to hover drain the batteries in the garden?

Could someone who is wiser than me clarify best practice?

What I tend to do with my (TB47) batteries is as follows:

1. After use, I fully charge them to 100% and then allow them to do an auto discharge over 3 days. This, I believe, takes them down to the 'safe' storage level of around 60%.

2. Recharge to 100% before use (obviously).

3. Every 20 or so charging cycles, completely discharge and then recharge to 100%.

However, on the Phantom Angel web site that The Editor kindly pointed to, it says: "Manufacturers (including DJI) state that LiPo batteries should be stored at ~50% charge if left for more than 24 hours. DJI’s auto-discharge function takes at least 3 days to discharge - that’s not good enough."

So, am I doing the wrong thing in recharging after use and allowing my batts to auto-discharge? Would it be better to leave them at whatever level they're at after use (typically around 20%)? Or is it bad to store them at that low a level?

Is the best thing to in fact invest in a Phantom Angel?

Obviously, given the cost of them, I want them to last as long as possible!

Thank you.
Somewhere between 50-60% is fine or near to 3.86v per cell.
You do not have to charge them up to 100% on return back to base.
Just charge them until the 3rd led starts to flash. After about a minute and a half it will be pretty much bang on 3.86v-3.89v per cell. Just unplug it then and store until you are ready to fly again. Then charge it up from there.

Yes thanks Ed., that's the one I've purchased but it takes a month or so for delivery. (I thing someone in this forum recommended it to me a while ago).
I did send a request to DJI for their recommendations but also suggested that in view of the importance of battery maintenance, that they make a version of their multi charger that also discharges. They have not responded. Seems weird to me that they don't offer this. Bigger fish to fry I guess.

Now they deliver. This week I received and it's TOP! Work perfect!

Somewhere between 50-60% is fine or near to 3.86v per cell.
You do not have to charge them up to 100% on return back to base.
Just charge them until the 3rd led starts to flash. After about a minute and a half it will be pretty much bang on 3.86v-3.89v per cell. Just unplug it then and store until you are ready to fly again. Then charge it up from there.

Thanks for the tip, Ed - much appreciated.

I'm building a battery drainer that has a secondary purpose. I saw a neat idea for a LED light panel for video work and the one I'm building will eat through 100W give or take so a fully charged battery will be drained in less about 75 minutes +/- a few minutes. A fully charged battery can be drained to storage in about 30 minutes.

So, just about the time I need to fully drain some batteries I should be good to go. And, I have a nice battery powered LED light for video. Actually, I'm building two of them so I can do two batteries at once or have twice the light for video.

Maybe I'll make a video of me making it or explain how it was made...

Brian

Reactions: Yellow Fellow

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide