Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Is the Matrice 100 really all that and a bag of chips? Or...

Absolutely. You could then add a single or multiple Raspberry PI boards to operate any other components. I made a mistake by buying the M100. Build your own! At least then you are the build master, and when it breaks, you fix it, not DJI.

Reactions: Outta Control
Yeah I should have updated my post to Why buy a M100 when I can build a X4 for less. And carry more payload.
That's the ticket.
I just built a f550, e310 propulsion, A2, Lightbridge, H4-3d with H4, retractable skid. Same if not less than M100. Still fully cudtomizable, not sure about developer angle tho.
I can purchase or make arm extensions and add larger motors specifically the E800
Could do the same with the F450. Same quad experience less hassle

That's the ticket.
I just built a f550, e310 propulsion, A2, Lightbridge, H4-3d with H4, retractable skid. Same if not less than M100. Still fully cudtomizable, not sure about developer angle tho.
I can purchase or make arm extensions and add larger motors specifically the E800
Could do the same with the F450. Same quad experience less hassle
Hello Kris,

I wish to build a UAV primarily for still photography using a high end DSLR or mirrorless camera like Sony A7RII. Can you recommend a kit company for that purpose that might have similar control features of the Inpire? Thnaks very much for your informative posts!

Robert

Hello outoffcontrol.

What companies offer kits like that? Thanks, Robert

Hey Robert

I have learned that there are compromises. I found a product that can possibly out last the Matrice100's flying time but you are limited in payload. For your needs to carry a mirrorless or DSLR hands down you need either a Hexa or Octocopter.

I would stay away from a Quad to carry $$$ camera gear. You want redundancy in horsepower and stability.

In my case I am building an X4 Quadcopter to haul my FLIR but if and when I decide to haul my 5DIII the X4 is expandable enough to become a X4 with a second set of motors under the top motors.

Here is a video of an X4 that has been upgrades to an X8 quadcopter.

I went with a X frame quadcopter because I wanted larger props. The larger the props along with a slower KV motor will be able to carry heavier loads with a more efficient energy use = longer flight time. This is not an exact science but following these theory should provide me with an outstanding solution.

Last edited:
Hey Robert

I have learned that there are compromises. I found a product that can possibly out last the Matrice100's flying time but you are limited in payload. For your needs to carry a mirrorless or DSLR hands down you need either a Hexa or Octocopter.

I would stay away from a Quad to carry $$$ camera gear. You want redundancy in horsepower and stability.

In my case I am building an X4 Quadcopter to haul my FLIR but if and when I decide to haul my 5DIII the X4 is expandable enough to become a X4 with a second set of motors under the top motors.

Here is a video of an X4 that has been upgrades to an X8 quadcopter.

I went with a X frame quadcopter because I wanted larger props. The larger the props along with a slower KV motor will be able to carry heavier loads with a more efficient energy use = longer flight time. This is not an exact science but following these theory should provide me with an outstanding solution.

Wow that is one big machine! I was looking for something smaller, but that could fly a mirrorless camera. The Canon M3 weighs 360 grams and a 55-200 lens 270, so around 700 grams total.

Any ideas for that setup? I will do some more searching now with your comments. Thanks!

Wow that is one big machine! I was looking for something smaller, but that could fly a mirrorless camera. The Canon M3 weighs 360 grams and a 55-200 lens 270, so around 700 grams total.

Any ideas for that setup? I will do some more searching now with your comments. Thanks!

Honestly I am still and always be a student at this but based on your request weight is your biggest hurdle. I can point you to some that could possibly carry your cam but you will not last long in the air.

Take off alone will suck a lot of juice from the Li-Po battery. Plus aerodynamic stability is another issue.

There are some smaller Hexacopter from Tarot that could fit your bill but again how much are you willing to compromise in your setup.

Good luck in your search.

Hello Kris,

I wish to build a UAV primarily for still photography using a high end DSLR or mirrorless camera like Sony A7RII. Can you recommend a kit company for that purpose that might have similar control features of the Inpire? Thnaks very much for your informative posts!

Robert
Hello Robert, sorry for delay, shooting in Hawaii at moment. Wow, great videos and pics.
Outta Control is completely correct, however I would still stay away from a Hexacopter. I say this because of your payload weight and cost. You are building a copter to safely propel your camera through the air anywhere from 5mph-35mph. You will want the redundancy of multiple motors, in case one decides to stop working 200 feet up. I personally like to Spreading wings series from DJI. You could look into the DJI S800 if you really desire a smaller bird. Its not much smaller than the 8 blade models tho.

In conclusion I side with Outta Control, go for redundancy and lasting power, not size. As for specific kits???? Seems the market is growing with new kits everyday so keep looking for what appeals to you visually, then reach back out to us if you need to and we can help you with choosing a good propulsion system to accommodate your needs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84