Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

KP-Index 5 today 2015-07-23

you need to worry about the xray flux values more than kp, I have no idea if a kp5 would affect the magnetometer or not

you need to worry about the xray flux values more than kp, I have no idea if a kp5 would affect the magnetometer or not
Specificlly with regard to the Inspire what evidence is there to worry about? Im not talking generally about xray flux. We dont want any wiki stuff, just is there evidence regarding the Inspire. Like Kp, its the last thing we want to start scaremongering about some atmospheric anomaly that has absolutely no link to affecting safe flights of our aircraft.

If there is no specific evidence lets kill this rumour right here and now.

Coming from a background in GIS surveying, I can tell you that there are moments in which not even a 10k usd sub centimeter GPS receiver works.

It doesn't matter what receiver you use, the GPS constellation gets knocked for six, and the data your receiver decodes is erroneous to begin with

I only see a 3 Kp today..........why is that high?? Did something change? Check that.......I'm guessing it varies by location. I'm in San Diego and it's perfect flying conditons right now. ****, I should leave work and go fly. LOL!!

Last edited:
Reactions: LockMD
KP5 and 6 is still flyable above 6 you need to start worrying as the gps will have no f****** clue were it is, the magnetometer is not that affected and even an affected magnetometer is flyable.

i do most of my flying in ATTI mode so there is not a lot to worry about.with the inspire is not possible , but even if you have problems with the magnetometer you can fly in manual.

Last edited by a moderator:
KP5 and 6 is still flyable above 6 you need to start worrying as the gps will have no f****** clue were it is, the magnetometer is not that affected and even an affected magnetometer is flyable.

i do most of my flying in ATTI mode so there is not a lot to worry about.with the inspire is not possible , but even if you have problems with the magnetometer you can fly in manual.
Sorry but that is just not true. It knows exactly where it is. I have said many times on here I have flown a P2 and Inspire in an kp 8 on more than one occasion with not even the slightest reduction in GPS hold. If it's a problem for the Inspire then I am open to listen. There just is NO evidence that I have seen.

So many myths about Kp and the Inspire. I'm not saying it can't affect the science behind GPS in general, just not proved on our aircraft.

It's obviously up to individuals whether they fly or not but to come out with a statement like for 6 and above "gps will have no f***ing clue were it is" is just false.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but that is just not true. It knows exactly where it is. I have said many times on here I have flown a P2 and Inspire in an kp 8 on more than one occasion with not even the slightest reduction in GPS hold. If it's a problem for the Inspire then I am open to listen. There just is NO evidence that I have seen.

So many myths about Kp and the Inspire. I'm not saying it can't affect the science behind GPS in general, just not proved on our aircraft.

It's obviously up to individuals whether they fly or not but to come out with a statement like for 6 and above "gps will have no f***ing clue were it is" is just false.

that you haven't seen it doest not mean it does not happens.
i seem it happen on several devices, Ardupilot, Nazas, WKMs, A2's mikrokopter, its not the gps gold is worst is that it may be 4/10 meters off.
some apps do not report the current kp accurately its not usual to have a high KP for long periods of time, also your geographic location may be less affected than other areas.

some of my AG PA SSCM can't be done when the KP is above 6 or the data will be way off to be useful for farmers or engineers.

if you want evidence go ahead and read some of the white papers on the matter ftp://olggps.oeaw.ac.at/pub/GIOMO/papers/The%20effects%20of%20geomagnetic%20storms%20on%20ionosphere%20and%20GPS%20signals.pdf this is just an example there are several of them.

its important to know the world if bigger than your small perception of live.

that you haven't seen it doest not mean it does not happens.
i seem it happen on several devices, Ardupilot, Nazas, WKMs, A2's mikrokopter, its not the gps gold is worst is that it may be 4/10 meters off.
some apps do not report the current kp accurately its not usual to have a high KP for long periods of time, also your geographic location may be less affected than other areas.

some of my AG PA SSCM can't be done when the KP is above 6 or the data will be way off to be useful for farmers or engineers.

if you want evidence go ahead and read some of the white papers on the matter ftp://olggps.oeaw.ac.at/pub/GIOMO/papers/The%20effects%20of%20geomagnetic%20storms%20on%20ionosphere%20and%20GPS%20signals.pdf this is just an example there are several of them.

its important to know the world if bigger than your small perception of live.
Sorry but none of what you quote is evidence for the 'small perception' that is the aircraft subject of this forum. That's general white paper stuff about GPS in general you are quoting. What you presented is not evidence about the Inspire. I was just asking for facts about the Inspire. It's not about the flight controllers you quote per say it's about the GPS units, which in the Inspire uses GPS and Glonass as you know.

Luis your getting personal on this. Let's keep this about the Inspire and the facts, not personal slights. It's not just me, many on rcgroups have also noticed no difference in high Kp index flights. It's great to debate this as it leads to greater understanding.

Sorry but none of what you quote is evidence for the 'small perception' that is the aircraft subject of this forum. That's general white paper stuff about GPS in general you are quoting. What you presented is not evidence about the Inspire. I was just asking for facts about the Inspire. It's not about the flight controllers you quote per say it's about the GPS units, which in the Inspire uses GPS and Glonass as you know.

Luis your getting personal on this. Let's keep this about the Inspire and the facts, not personal slights. It's not just me, many on rcgroups have also noticed no difference in high Kp index flights. It's great to debate this as it leads to greater understanding.

well, if you your going to discard what you call general white paper stuff (all the science behind GPS, that are pure facts) the inspire GPS is nothing special its not made by dji, its a ublox GPS chip like many others, i have the same ship on a Ranger EX using a pixhawk that shows the same issues as the inspire. grab the inspire 1 gps and connect it to ublox centre and just watch the HDOP go crazy.

that happens with every single GPS chipset ublox makes (i never had in my hands other brands).

i won't just start grabbing data and present it just so you can see, you can choose to ignore the warnings and risk flyaways. feel free to impart your wisdom in other so they can have the same risk, i will do what i know and seen before and spread the knowledge you just dismiss as "general white paper stuff".

I'm not sure if this will count for evidence, but I can say that on a P2 I momentarily lost GPS accuracy (or reduced accuracy) while in the process of landing and at a height of about 20 feet. Kp-Index was 5. The drift was only a few meters, but co-incidentally there was a strong wind gust at the same moment which almost blew it into a tree. Fortunately I was able to manually control it even with the drift. On an Inspire I haven't had any problems.

Of course, positioning accuracy for an Inspire and other small UAVs due to ionospheric scintillation could be a much bigger problem depending on where and when you fly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry