Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Landing in high winds - if you have to

Reaction score
Yesterday had to land my I2 in a little more wind than I liked. Just after touchdown, wind caught it and lifted the nose. Bad reflex - do not try to stabilise the I2 with your hands before completely stopping the engines...

Apart from having learned that the hard way (stupid), is there anyone of you having a suggestion how to safely land an I2 in higher winds, if you have to and no real shelter nearby? My work involves offshore shooting, for which I'm training now, will have to deploy from a vessel sometimes.

I landed it nose in the wind (x5s underneath); is it probably more stable with tail against wind (CoG slightly aft)?

Also, I notice that the props rev up first when shutting down (which doesn't help either), does anyone know what the reasoning behind that is?

Suggestions very welcome. Next flight I'll probably wear gloves like a falconeer - and train other reflexes.

When you land you need to kill the motors using the emergency stop position (left stick down right and press RTH at same time) so by the time you have issued this command the props will have stopped by the time you reach the I2.

Don't shut down with CSC, only with the throttle stick kept down. CSC is only for emergency stops.
In the split second you move both sticks to the CSC position (both sticks down and in) you are still sending flight control signals. If you land with just the left stick kept down, the motors will stop after a few seconds, without revving up first. Just keep it down until full stop.

Unless the I2 is completely different with that respect, in that case disregard my advise.
I fly a I1.

If the wind is that strong so it has a tendency to flip over on the ground it is not safe to fly in the first place, but you know that already.

Reactions: Pescatoral Pursuit
The I2 is different it now has a kill switch as i mentioned down right on left stick and press RTH same time. all motors stop instantly. Can even be used in the "air" if there is a need to do this as i would obviously fall like a brick. I can't imagine what that would ever be but DJI think is needed.

How strong was the wind? I am finding that it takes a very small upwind barrier to successfully shield the I2.

The I2 is different it now has a kill switch as i mentioned down right on left stick and press RTH same time. all motors stop instantly. Can even be used in the "air" if there is a need to do this as i would obviously fall like a brick. I can't imagine what that would ever be but DJI think is needed.
I'm pretty sure that combination sends a regular CSC signal to the flight controller hence the short burst in RPM just before shutting down. At least that is what the OP was talking about.
Doesn't the I2 shut down just by keeping the throttle stick down? Again, I don't have the I2 but I'm curious.
Emergency stopping possibility is a must for remotely piloted aircraft. It's the very last thing you do but it can save a life.

The wind was gusty, or better: suddenly became gusty. Just after landing with props on low revs it just lifted on the front, just picked up a bit too much lift. I'll take the suggestion of portable windshield. Kill switch is possible, though this was a split second action. Switched it off eventually with left stick down with remote in my left hand with I2 chopping into my right. As said, stupid reflex.

Anyone having experience with the craft landed with butt against the wind?

I'm still pretty amazed though how stable the thing is IN air (including the footage) under these conditions. For now I'll just lower my threshold and consider this a learning moment.

Thanks for the responses.

Reactions: aquamor
Living and flying in an exposed upland area, I have to work with gusty winds a fair amount of the time.
  • I always stand upwind of the A/C during landing wherever possible - that way it can't drift in to me!
  • Anyone else well clear of the landing zone.
  • Landing area as flat/level as possible - if it's not then you're more likely to lift n tip.
  • Return to land with plenty of time on the battery - it may take you a few minutes to actually get gear on ground! Last thing you want is critical battery!
  • If possible, I try and have some shelter from the wind - but watch out, shelter can sometimes cause turbulence or wind shear!
  • On strong wind days, I usually come in to land nose-in to the wind. Once the aircraft is in close to the landing zone, I spin it 180 degrees so it's back is toward the wind (and me) - means I'm reacting to aircraft movements naturally and not having to think about stick direction.
  • I then usually allow it to hover for a short time to guage the wind speed, gusts and turbulence and that usually gives me a good idea of when it's a good time to set down.
  • Keep props running until it is firmly on the ground. Then if it starts to lift or tip you can get back in the air.
  • Once firmly on the ground, then power down. Hold the Throttle stick down, don't use the power on stick position (both sticks down+in) as that will often rev the motors. If it's a real tricky landing, then use the left stick down + RTH button to kill motors.
  • Good idea to remove props on the ground - when you pick the aircraft up, the wind can catch them and spin then up. Even a fraction of a turn can draw blood (been there, got the scars :D )

...that's where the falconeer gloves come in - and a face helmet [emoji6]

If I see what this thing did to my hand, at low revs, then I do not dare to think of what it'll do to my face while still flying...

I'll second turning off the VPS and auto gear up/down, then catching by hand with gear up. Controller should be on your harness so you can kill motors one handed by throttling all the way down for about 2 seconds, and also manipulating the gear down switch.

Last edited:
Saw some videos on YouTube for I1's; actually seems pretty doable. But indeed you'd need to be sure anything auto landing gear'ish is switched off, or it'll come after your fingers. Good idea on the harness too.

You got your hand chopped by the blades? Yikes, I'd like to think my reaction wouldn't be to do that, ever. I'm usually never that close to the bird (not i2) when it lands in the first place. Above all else, including the I2, wipe that reflex from your recourse. Otherwise flipping the bird will be the least of your worries. I know you said it was a foolish mistake- that's an understatement. Be careful as you learn. Good luck with it.

per the original post "Suggestions very welcome" . . . pretty much no winds that I'd fly my deuce in would produce enough lift for the craft to lift off when at idle or coasting down speed. Here is what I do: 1)come to stabilized hover 1-2-3 feet (or at the autohover height (I think .7m) 2)forward blades as close to directly into the wind as possible . . . and 3) a smooth, but strong descent and plant it firmly on the earth, holding left stick full down right at contact. Dont try to be the hero that eases it down in strong or gusty winds; its a recipe for disaster. The catch method NO doubt is a good idea we should all have in our bag of tricks, but I think just using the same aerodynamic principles that allow it to fly will work 99.9% of the time. Same goes on the phantom series, but its much more prone to tip over due to (lower) weight and higher CG that kinda helps the landing gear work against landing in winds. Thats my $.02 ~

You got your hand chopped by the blades? Yikes, I'd like to think my reaction wouldn't be to do that, ever. I'm usually never that close to the bird (not i2) when it lands in the first place. Above all else, including the I2, wipe that reflex from your recourse. Otherwise flipping the bird will be the least of your worries. I know you said it was a foolish mistake- that's an understatement. Be careful as you learn. Good luck with it.
be sure, that reflex is on it's way out..[emoji6]

I'd almost suggest everyone doing this once in his lifetime to get enough respect for a drone (if they haven't already) - not recommended with an I2 though... - sorry, haven't said this.

Thanks all of you for the good suggestions.

Still what intrigues me is what @NickU said, basically landing it the last bit "tail turned towards the wind". You mention doing that for more natural control, and because you want to stand upwind of the bird, but do you also feel it's more stable that way? Or not correlated?

At the other post, about catching an I2 - if you shut down downwards vision and auto landing gear, will you then still be able to shut down motors by pulling the left stick down for two seconds? Or do you have to kill engines (? two hand job)? I mean, how does it know you're landing with vision switched off?

I'll second turning off the VPS and auto gear up/down, then catching by hand with gear up. Controller should be on your harness so you can kill motors one handed by throttling all the way down for about 2 seconds, and also manipulating the gear down switch.
Me too, it's the only safe way to land on a small boat. Basically it's not catching but just reaching for it. Hover it at a height, above and in front of your head, so you can easily grab it. Just hold on to it loosely while moving and holding the left stick down. Once you feel the full weight of the bird the props have stopped spinning, you tighten your grip, and your safe.

I agree, a harness is a very good thing to use, in every case.

However, if the wind is that strong that you would have to follow a special procedure to avoid it from drifting into your face, it's basically a no fly situation and a pilot error if anything goes wrong. If it's getting gusty suddenly, during the flight, hover until you see how the gusts influence the bird. Take a moment to determine how to land safely. Having a few minutes extra for that is something one should always be prepared for.

Reactions: Pescatoral Pursuit

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ai900exam