Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Launching From A Boat

Reaction score
I have an upcoming shoot with my Inspire 1 Pro (latest firmware) that will require me launching from a boat at sea.

I did a little research and I have read quite a few horror stories of people not being to launch their Inspires from boats because apparently the Inspire requires stable ground during start up or the motors won't turn activate. A boat at sea is anything but stable. To add to that, boats are usually a giant hunk of metal- generally Inspires don't like that either.

The forums that I am reading are all 6 months to a year old with a lot talking about a fix in newer firmware, but I couldn't find anything conclusive.

To do somewhat of a test at home I turned on the Inspire and managed to power up the motors all while holding it and waving it around a little. It worked and it would seem that if I power it on while keeping it relatively stable in my hands, it will work fine. Having said that, it would be nice to hear from someone that has had success launching from an actual boat.

Maybe it's something that was fixed with the release of the Pro...? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Brett

I have used my Inspire launched from a boat at sea a number of times without issue.
Apart from possible compass issues you should be fine. If possible start up form dry land and leave the Inspire armed and ready prior to launch. once your away from the boat there will be no compass issues.

One thing I recommend you must must must do is practice take off and landing form and to hands with whoever is your designated catcher.

For me it has always been easier having an assistant hold the Inspire at both take off and landing. it is important that they are comfortable with the procedure to prevent damage to them or your inspire.

Reactions: SolidStayt
I have used my Inspire launched from a boat at sea a number of times without issue.
Apart from possible compass issues you should be fine. If possible start up form dry land and leave the Inspire armed and ready prior to launch. once your away from the boat there will be no compass issues.

One thing I recommend you must must must do is practice take off and landing form and to hands with whoever is your designated catcher.

For me it has always been easier having an assistant hold the Inspire at both take off and landing. it is important that they are comfortable with the procedure to prevent damage to them or your inspire.

Great to hear you've had success! Fills me with a little bit more confidence. Yeah, I think hand launching with an assistant will be the go for sure.

Launching from boat was fixed with a firmware update not sure which firmware version but if your on 1.3 or newer you should be right.

Launching from boat was fixed with a firmware update not sure which firmware version but if your on 1.3 or newer you should be right.

Great- I was hoping this was the case. All the forums with people that had problems are at least 6 months old.

Great- I was hoping this was the case. All the forums with people that had problems are at least 6 months old.
As the comments above really and DO NOT do a compass calibration on the boat - it is likely to be skewed.
Although you may get a compass error whilst the Inspire is on deck it should clear as soon as you get airborne and a few feet away from the boat.
Be confident in flying atti in case there are any issues.

make sure you have you home point set correctly if your moving far away. fly away will go back to original location you launch from unless you change it.
A very good point and certainly worth remembering. The first time I did this following waterskiing at sea for a commercial we got a few minutes into the flight when the inspire stopped, turned around and headed home because it thought it had gone out of range for the remaining battery power. I had to cancel the go home and reset the home location.
Do remember that often attempts to set the home point to the controller don't work due to the weak GPS fix on the Remote Controller.

I cant re-iterate enough practice take off and landing many times before you attempt it on a moving boat.
Put yourself in the handlers position as an inspire is approaching your outstretched hands on a moving boat and your being encouraged to grab it!
Video here if your interested

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jj2018