Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Left Side Blur/Focus Issue?

So here are the results of my tests, after I briefly describe the procedure. Being in farm country, I flew above a frost-covered field of unharvested soybeans, which provided the ultimate in contrast and detail. I took off, climbed to an altitude in meters equal to the focal length in mm (i.e. 1000x the focal length, to approximate infinity), centered my landing pad in the viewfinder, then flew over the field and shot some photos at various apertures, keeping the overall exposure constant (by varying the shutter).
Results were not particularly informative, except in one case.
The 15mm showed uniform sharpness across the plane with soft corners (this was at f2.0), which seems about right.
The 25mm showed pretty much the same thing, but this was odd, because in looking at the 21 production photos I shot yesterday, about half of them had soft centers and the other half looked mostly okay. So what I'm saying is that the 25 appeared to work as expected this morning, and I could not detect any asymmetry in sharpness.
The 45, however, was a complete disaster. I have never liked this lens and rarely used it because everything I shot with it (even on the old X5S) was always soft. I just thought it was a crappy lens, and it may be. Well, the soybean field, even though I focused each shot in the center (AF) every time, was totally out-of-focus. Just horrible, really. So I'm still of the opinion that the Oly 45 is absolute trash, but it might just be my copy.
Regrettably, I do NOT have a m43 body to check these lenses on.
So maybe the conclusion is that my new X5S is probably okay, and the DJI 15 is okay, and the Oly 45 is junk, and my Oly 25 is sometimes okay and sometimes not, possibly because it took a nasty bump during a crash. I'm not sure I can conclude otherwise. Maybe I'll try some more tests this afternoon, perhaps using MF.

Fwiw, I have the Olympus 45mm as well, but I found out it was two versions old in the firmware on it. I didn't have a body to download and install the firmware into it from Olympus (I took the lens to Best Buy and put it onto a Panasonic display model to check the version with the manager's blessing.), so I had to send it to Olympus and pay them $140 for the update to version 1.2. Olympus service said it had something to do with the video and some aperture connection with the video (It's on their website as well.). Might be same with yours.

I do notice that aerials with it are a bit more blurry than the stills which are sharp. I think it is the buzzy vibration of my I2 though causing it with video. I'm not really impressed with my I2 since the last firmware update and pretty much grounded it until the next one where I hope they fix the partial and random shutdown of the RC I have too.

I bought the Pen-F and found its body also needed an update even though it was recently purchased. Least I can do both the Panasonic and Olympus lens updates now should they need it. Neat little camera too.

It seems that the latest version addresses the problem of focusing on Olympus lenses. Did you test it?

I can not test because at this moment my I2 is on its way to DJI to solve this and another problems.
  • Fixed a rare issue where image edge is deformed when using the Zenmuse X5S with some Olympus-made lenses.
New Inspire 2 Firmware Released (13/11/2017)

Just as a follow-up (my apologies for having abandoned this thread), I diagnosed my latest X5S blur issue to being a problem with my Olympus 25/1.8 lens, which was on a bird that crashed. The lens is messed-up in a way that I don't fully understand, but I did determine it was the lens and not the X5S that was the issue. But note that this was with my 2nd X5S. My 1st one has a badly misaligned sensor that was easily remedied by a brass shim, as suggested elsewhere. And even with my broken lens, I have figured out a work-around that allows it to produce sharp images. But since a week ago, I have been shooting with the X7 (and am sad to say it doesn't produce as good of images as the X5S, at least not for my purposes).

Just as a follow-up (my apologies for having abandoned this thread), I diagnosed my latest X5S blur issue to being a problem with my Olympus 25/1.8 lens, which was on a bird that crashed. The lens is messed-up in a way that I don't fully understand, but I did determine it was the lens and not the X5S that was the issue. But note that this was with my 2nd X5S. My 1st one has a badly misaligned sensor that was easily remedied by a brass shim, as suggested elsewhere. And even with my broken lens, I have figured out a work-around that allows it to produce sharp images. But since a week ago, I have been shooting with the X7 (and am sad to say it doesn't produce as good of images as the X5S, at least not for my purposes).

What's wrong with the X7? Which lens? I suspect the 16mm may be soft if it is anything like the Sony 16mm in reviews, and that Hasselblad abandoned to Sony.

I don't expect to see a big quality increase given the extra 4MP, but something about the lighter X7 lenses and their long tube may act as a wind vane in the air and maybe the propwash too leading to softer images. The M43 lenses may be sharper overall too if DJI cannibalized some cheaper lightweight lenses into their own mount and jacked the price up threefold. Have to wait and see some aerial hi-rez stills to justify though.

I think I am having a focus issue with my 25mm lens. Both images are screenshots from the video.

The left side looks out of focus, but I am not sure how to correct it. I have tried filming at 5.6 and 9 aperture, but they both show the same blur on the left side. The lens is clear and has no smudges, or anything thing cosmetically that I can tell that is causing this.

I have tried both auto focus and manual, but bot do this.

Does anyone know what may be causing this?

Here is a video.

View attachment 11749 View attachment 11750

I had the same issue with my previous 25mm. I bought a new one and it is better but just not as crisp as the DJI native lens. Try to see if you test before you buy for the Olympus 25mm lens. Here is my latest video with the 25mm and you can see that center frame is sharper than both the left and right. I am happy with the lens as it seems to be about the same on both the left and right parts of the frame now. On the previous lens it was very soft of the left side and very sharp on the right side, so it looked really bad.

I had the same issue with my previous 25mm. I bought a new one and it is better but just not as crisp as the DJI native lens. Try to see if you test before you buy for the Olympus 25mm lens. Here is my latest video with the 25mm and you can see that center frame is sharper than both the left and right. I am happy with the lens as it seems to be about the same on both the left and right parts of the frame now. On the previous lens it was very soft of the left side and very sharp on the right side, so it looked really bad.

Hello Jackbisson,
As far as I can see, the left side of your picture is blurier than the right side.
You maybe might do the mod.
On my own I did the same mod as above with 0,05mm piece of pape sheet and as far as I tried it for now, it is much better, even perfect.
Enjoy your flights.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk