Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Lightbridge2 HDMI/AV video feed is cropped on Crystal Sky 7.85 and tablets with 4:3 aspect ratio

Reaction score
Website
goldenskybirds.com
Hello,

I have this problem, on 5.5" Crystal Sky I can see the whole frame of the video but on 7.85" it is cropped on the sides.
DJI Go is v3.1.38, and there are updates out there on the CS FW itself as well for DJI Go but I didn't applied them yet. Any thoughts about this problem?

On the photo bellow can be seen how the arms of the drone are cut on the 7.85 monitor. If curious this current feed is from the fpv camera but it's the same with the RED.

20200314_145806.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Well I just updated everything to the latest available (lightbridge v1.1.81, CS FW v3.0.2.0, DJI Go v3.1.52) but the view is still cropped.

The screens are different aspect ratios. The recorded video will not be effected. The smaller 5.5" device is 16:9 format and the larger 7.85" Crystal Sky monitor is 4:3.

The screens are different aspect ratios. The recorded video will not be effected. The smaller 5.5" device is 16:9 format and the larger 7.85" Crystal Sky monitor is 4:3.

Thanks for reply! I know they are different aspects, we use them from the time they where announced. When used with X5R camera there is no crop on the 7.85 CS monitor and we can see the whole frame on it. I think It's something between lightbridge and DJI Go that have to be sorted by DJI and released as an update.

I've just tested on Samsung Galaxy 8 tablet with DGI Go v3.1.59 and it's the same, so the problem is not related to the Crystal Sky itself but is definitely caused by lightbridge2 and maybe DJI Go. I will test next on Litchi and DJI Pilot to see if there is a difference on them, just waiting to recharge the remotes.

Hello,

I have this problem, on 5.5" Crystal Sky I can see the whole frame of the video but on 7.85" it is cropped on the sides.
DJI Go is v3.1.38, and there are updates out there on the CS FW itself as well for DJI Go but I didn't applied them yet. Any thoughts about this problem?

On the photo bellow can be seen how the arms of the drone are cut on the 7.85 monitor. If curious this current feed is from the fpv camera but it's the same with the RED.

View attachment 28319

Thanks!

Educated guess from a video guy here...

Because of the conflicting aspect ratios between your monitor and your feed, you SHOULD see letterboxing at the top and bottom. My GUESS would be that you can set the aspect ratio in the left monitor. This may be done in the app. Going off memory, I'm 95% sure the iPad will letterbox automatically in both the Go and Go 4 Apps.

It looks to me like the left monitor is struggling to NOT "over-stretch" the video. Instead of accomplishing this via letterboxing, it's cropping your image at the sides. That said...

If you're NOT using an iPad (the monitor on the left looks like an iPad to me), the Crystal Sky, being a "pro" monitor, SHOULD have aspect ratio options built into the Settings. Selecting 16:9 or similar should letterbox your video feed, which should circumvent the cropping.

If the Crystal Sky does NOT have aspect ratio options, a hack might be to FIRST set aspect ratio via the Go App, and THEN connect the Crystal Sky. I often find I have to select options in the Go or Go 4 apps for other apps that don't have those options.

Let me know if this works.

D

Last edited:
Educated guess from a video guy here...

Because of the conflicting aspect ratios between your monitor and your feed, you SHOULD see letterboxing at the top and bottom. My GUESS would be that you can set the aspect ratio in the left monitor. This may be done in the app. Going off memory, I'm 95% sure the iPad will letterbox automatically in both the Go and Go 4 Apps.

It looks to me like the left monitor is struggling to NOT "over-stretch" the video. Instead of accomplishing this via letterboxing, it's cropping your image at the sides. That said...

If you're NOT using an iPad (the monitor on the left looks like an iPad to me), the Crystal Sky, being a "pro" monitor, SHOULD have aspect ratio options built into the Settings. Selecting 16:9 or similar should letterbox your video feed, which should circumvent the cropping.

Let me know if this works.

D
Both monitors are Crystal Sky, there is no option for the aspect ratios, it's automatc. When I use X5R on the M600 Pro as well with Inspire RAW everything is fine and the whole picture fit inside the monitor. It's the same with Samsung S8 tablet, it works fine with m600+x5r, inspire and mavic but not with the m600's HDMI/AV feed.

I just tried Litchi and while it works with m600+x5r, it doesn't show picture with m600's HDMI/AV feed. Tried as well with the latest DJI Pilot v1.7 and it wasn't able to show me a picture at all, exactly like Litchi.

Both monitors are Crystal Sky, there is no option for the aspect ratios, it's automatc. When I use X5R on the M600 Pro as well with Inspire RAW everything is fine and the whole picture fit inside the monitor. It's the same with Samsung S8 tablet, it works fine with m600+x5r, inspire and mavic but not with the m600's HDMI/AV feed.

I just tried Litchi and while it works with m600+x5r, it doesn't show picture with m600's HDMI/AV feed. Tried as well with the latest DJI Pilot v1.7 and it wasn't able to show me a picture at all, exactly like Litchi.

To understand you fully, you reference "HDMI/AV feed." On the M600 Pro these are two different feeds that will probably net different results for each one. I would guess that, perhaps, you are using the "less sophisticated" AV feed??? I would think the HDMI feed would be more "intelligent," thereby netting better results. Can you clarify?

D

To understand you fully, you reference "HDMI/AV feed." On the M600 Pro these are two different feeds that will probably net different results for each one. I would guess that, perhaps, you are using the "less sophisticated" AV feed??? I would think the HDMI feed would be more "intelligent," thereby netting better results. Can you clarify?

D
Yes, I'm using the HDMI for RED camera and AV for the FPV camera, both are cropped in the same way and it doesn't matter what camera is connected there as I tried with a few other HDMI cameras.

On the other side when I use the x5r camera connected to the Lightbridge's gimbal port and in DJI Go have to enable the EXT port to see the x5r, the feed is not cropped and look as it should be. But the FPV camera that is connected to the AV port is still cropped.

To me looks that HDMI/AV inputs are not propperly recognized by DJI Go.

I was looking if there are some settings for the Lightbridge trough DJI Assistant software but there are none. I already wrote to DJI support just to report the bug, will see what they say. But in my opinion this is something that cant be fixed right away and probably some feature firmware update could address that issue.

And here is what DJI supprt told me:

We are sorry to hear about the problem.
If the input video is 16: 9 in connection with M600 (LB2), it is forced to be enlarged to 4: 3.
The problem has already been recognized by our developers and it should appear in a timely manner in which the problem is solved.
You can currently only view the picture in 16: 9 on IOS devices.

So waiting for update.

Reactions: SanCap
Yes, I'm using the HDMI for RED camera and AV for the FPV camera, both are cropped in the same way and it doesn't matter what camera is connected there as I tried with a few other HDMI cameras.

Hmmmm...thanx for the clarification.

On the other side when I use the x5r camera connected to the Lightbridge's gimbal port and in DJI Go have to enable the EXT port to see the x5r, the feed is not cropped and look as it should be. But the FPV camera that is connected to the AV port is still cropped.

To me looks that HDMI/AV inputs are not propperly recognized by DJI Go.

I would agree if I didn't see a dissimilar result. Then again, I didn't connect a Red camera to my M600 Pro. Then again, I'm using iPads exclusively.

I just read below:

And here is what DJI supprt told me:

We are sorry to hear about the problem.
If the input video is 16: 9 in connection with M600 (LB2), it is forced to be enlarged to 4: 3.
The problem has already been recognized by our developers and it should appear in a timely manner in which the problem is solved.

You can currently only view the picture in 16: 9 on IOS devices.

So waiting for update.

Ahhhhh....so clearly the Crystal Sky is the bottleneck. Honestly, that aspect ratio / cropping issue would be a total deal-breaker for me....ESPECIALLY in film. NITs be damned. I would suggest maybe using the Crystal Sky for FPV and the iPad for the Red. No DP is going to put up with that cropped/stretched image. That must be embarrassing as all get out.

I was looking if there are some settings for the Lightbridge trough DJI Assistant software but there are none.

I use a modded version of Assistant 2 that nets a LOT more control. This was connected to my P4P (which has the A3 Flight Controller).

1584373501756.png

1584373527857.png

The "Parameters" menu is where the action happens. If developers DO fix the aspect ratio issue, here is where it will happen. They will either modify existing parameters or add some. I simply try to beat them to the punch for shortcomings. I'm locked into an older firmware version that I like a lot and am not willing to let go of.

As I'm sure you are well aware, a lot of damage can be done here. As you can see, I did a quick search for "light" (as in "LightBridge"), but didn't find much. The M600 Pro uses the A3 Pro FC, which would surely net a different set of Parameters.

1584373712016.png

There is literally zero documentation on the "hidden parameters" within the Assistant 2 menu system. I imagine DJI strongly guards these...which is maddening. I can't even begin to tell you how many hours I've spent on these parameters. Fortunately, there's a fledgling community that shares data. Even then, I'm mostly blazing new trails every time I change something.

I already wrote to DJI support just to report the bug, will see what they say. But in my opinion this is something that cant be fixed right away and probably some feature firmware update could address that issue.

Unfortunately, the M600 Pro AND CrystalSky monitors have been out a LOOOOOONG time. If DJI developers haven't fixed it by now....<:^/

I assume you work in film. Surely this aspect ratio / cropping mess is a deal-breaker, yes? Just curious.

D

Last edited:
Reactions: niki
Hmmmm...thanx for the clarification.

I would agree if I didn't see a dissimilar result. Then again, I didn't connect a Red camera to my M600 Pro. Then again, I'm using iPads exclusively.

I just read below:

Ahhhhh....so clearly the Crystal Sky is the bottleneck. Honestly, that aspect ratio / cropping issue would be a total deal-breaker for me....ESPECIALLY in film. NITs be damned. I would suggest maybe using the Crystal Sky for FPV and the iPad for the Red. No DP is going to put up with that cropped/stretched image. That must be embarrassing as all get out.

I use a modded version of Assistant 2 that nets a LOT more control. This was connected to my P4P (which has the A3 Flight Controller).

View attachment 28338

View attachment 28339

The "Parameters" menu is where the action happens. If developers DO fix the aspect ratio issue, here is where it will happen. They will either modify existing parameters or add some. I simply try to beat them to the punch for shortcomings. I'm locked into an older firmware version that I like a lot and am not willing to let go of.

As I'm sure you are well aware, a lot of damage can be done here. As you can see, I did a quick search for "light" (as in "LightBridge"), but didn't find much. The M600 Pro uses the A3 Pro FC, which would surely net a different set of Parameters.

View attachment 28340

There is literally zero documentation on the "hidden parameters" within the Assistant 2 menu system. I imagine DJI strongly guards these...which is maddening. I can't even begin to tell you how many hours I've spent on these parameters. Fortunately, there's a fledgling community that shares data. Even then, I'm mostly blazing new trails every time I change something.

Unfortunately, the M600 Pro AND CrystalSky monitors have been out a LOOOOOONG time. If DJI developers haven't fixed it by now....

I assume you work in film. Surely this aspect ratio / cropping mess is a deal-breaker, yes? Just curious.

D
Yes it's very frustrating issue as we will not be able to use the big CS for this particular setup. It's not ony on Crystal Skys but the problem is on all android devices with 4:3 aspect ratio.
Anyway we are streaming on a producer's display by the hdmi or sdi outputs so it will not be a problem on set, only the comfort of a bigger screen for our gimbal operator will be sacrificed.
For now we are going to use the 5.5" CS for the gimbal operator and will wait a bit to see what will happen from DJI's side.

Reactions: Donnie Frank

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry