Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Line of sight and range.

Thanks for your ivput. Speaking of firmware, I am more of a believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it" than always staying current. I am also always afraid that a firmware update might remove features or restrict flight areas more, have bugs, etc. As a result I haven't updated in almost a year. What's your 2 cents on the best firmware version for the inspire 1?
Please do not double post (it is against our forum rules) - you have started a thread on this topic HERE

Thank You

The whole point of not flying beyond LOS is not because of signal loss, its in case something goes wrong with FPV and GPS etc.

Its about maintaining full control of aircraft at all times, or minimizing the out of control times.

This brings us to why there are sooo many issues with drones as opposed to RC planes and helis. When something goes wrong with a drone most people have no clue how to really fly manually and land safely or bring it home in one piece.
Very true.........

...What's your 2 cents on the best firmware version for the inspire 1?

The latest available from DJI. Contrary to popular opinion I do not believe that DJI writes firmware to degrade the usefulness of our drones. They do it to fix issues, bugs and to add enhancements.

"If it is not broke, don't fix it" only works if you know what is or is not broken. I have to believe that DJI has a better idea on what is broken than I do.

My 2 cents.

Thanks much for your thoughtful response. And I certainly agree that they know far better than I. I must admit however that the countless stream of people that claim they have flyaway and such after updating gnawed on me. That said from all of the accounts I read here and elsewhere I have long suspected user error to be the culprit. I will upgrade.

To clear this up.......
There is absolutely no straight answer as to how range will be affected.
RF propagation is not an exact science and subject to many many variables.
These can include:
  • Atmospheric temperature
  • Terrain composition
  • Density of forest
  • Water content of the trees! (Yes really)
  • Nearby valleys/canyons
  • Multipath interference/reflection
  • Isotropic propagation
  • Free space path loss
  • Frequency/wavelength signal
  • Polarisation
  • Phase shift
  • Other factors!
So you see, there are just too many variables to give a precise answer to how far or how deep a signal will penetrate.
If you stood at the same point and took off you would get different results on different days and even different results at differing times on the same day!

2.4 GHz is basically line of site and has poor penetration and should be treated as such.

Hallo Everybody,
I have to make a video for a rowing race.
I have to fly up to 0,5 km away.
In the area where I am there is a strong wifi signal that disturbs my video signal. (internet wifi )
The video signal at times disappears completely on the second RC (Gimbal cine operator)
Someone can tell me if this wifi interference can also cause problems on the fly the drone? or is it just a video signal problem?
Thank you

Hallo Everybody,
I have to make a video for a rowing race.
I have to fly up to 0,5 km away.
In the area where I am there is a strong wifi signal that disturbs my video signal. (internet wifi )
The video signal at times disappears completely on the second RC (Gimbal cine operator)
Someone can tell me if this wifi interference can also cause problems on the fly the drone? or is it just a video signal problem?
Thank you
Generally: Yes.

Wifi signals are very well known for causing glitches in your control signal. Sometimes a drone can respond to other (stronger) signals in the same band and it will feel like it is reacting slow or not at all to your commands. In that case try to land it asap (walk towards it to get a better signal).
My I1 and I shared some awkward moments when I was flying around a strong Wifi source.

Not recommended.

Many thanksfor your valuablereply.Sinceflighton waterbettergive up thejob.

I can onlytry tomovethe frequency of5ghzwifi onboatingschool.

Thank you very much

Vittorio

Many thanks for your precious reply. Since flight on water better give up the job.
I can only try to move the frequncy to 5 ghz wifi on boating school

Thank you very much

Vittorio
sorry for may eng......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah