Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Litchi waypoints buggy?

Reaction score
I like using Litchi waypoints but I've found it to be really buggy. This thread is a bit of a warning to Litchi waypoints users I suppose.

On my Phantom 3, I had a mission where I sent the drone off, waited and waited.. Then finally went searching. I went to where I thought it might have hit a tree and couldn't find it. Finally, just as I was about to give up, I found it. It had landed instead of returned to home as I had programmed it to do. This happened because I had first setup the mission to land, made changes, but the change to RTH (return to home) did not get passed on to the drone come fly time. I rechecked the mission when I got home and ensured it was set to be RTH as I thought.

On my Inspire 1 Pro, I setup a mission and used the "use online elevation" checked when setting it up. I was seting the drone to fly through some hoodoos. Right when I set it off, it looked like it was heading straight for a rock. Way too low in elevation, but I figured.. "naw, it will rise up." IT didn't. And still didn't. So I stopped the mission and when I looked at the footage, it was definitely heading straight for it. Probably 30 meters too low! Other missions I've sent through hoodoos and cliffs the drone wanders dangerously close to obstacles even though I've got it set to go straigh through the middle.

Anyone else had these problems with Litchi waypoints? I've never tried DJI Go (other than for setting up gimbal and sticks,) but I think it also has waypoints? I think I chose Litchi because it offered better distance limits? Can't remember.

I like using Litchi waypoints but I've found it to be really buggy. This thread is a bit of a warning to Litchi waypoints users I suppose.

On my Phantom 3, I had a mission where I sent the drone off, waited and waited.. Then finally went searching. I went to where I thought it might have hit a tree and couldn't find it. Finally, just as I was about to give up, I found it. It had landed instead of returned to home as I had programmed it to do. This happened because I had first setup the mission to land, made changes, but the change to RTH (return to home) did not get passed on to the drone come fly time. I rechecked the mission when I got home and ensured it was set to be RTH as I thought.

On my Inspire 1 Pro, I setup a mission and used the "use online elevation" checked when setting it up. I was seting the drone to fly through some hoodoos. Right when I set it off, it looked like it was heading straight for a rock. Way too low in elevation, but I figured.. "naw, it will rise up." IT didn't. And still didn't. So I stopped the mission and when I looked at the footage, it was definitely heading straight for it. Probably 30 meters too low! Other missions I've sent through hoodoos and cliffs the drone wanders dangerously close to obstacles even though I've got it set to go straigh through the middle.

Anyone else had these problems with Litchi waypoints? I've never tried DJI Go (other than for setting up gimbal and sticks,) but I think it also has waypoints? I think I chose Litchi because it offered better distance limits? Can't remember.
No - never had issues, but then I would never use any waypoint program to fly missions that were obstacle critical.
The same as I never use auto take off or Auto land - ever.

Moved to General section

No - never had issues, but then I would never use any waypoint program to fly missions that were obstacle critical.
The same as I never use auto take off or Auto land - ever.

Moved to General section

Funny you say that. I'm exactly the same. I use waypoint flying a LOT, but MOST of the time I'll launch the bird manually THEN upload the waypoints simply because the auto launch is too "wimpy." I like getting the bird off the ground FAST...especially if there's a little wind blowing. Same goes with auto landing. I like dropping the bird a little quicker. I actually had the bird tip once when the auto land took it's sweet d*** time shutting down the motors. Lesson learned. I either hand catch or manually land the bird myself.

The other reason for landing the bird myself is I bring it in on a glide slope, thus saving precious time and battery. I always face the bird towards me, which has made for some pretty kewl landing video...but I digress....

D

Reactions: The Editor
Funny you say that. I'm exactly the same. I use waypoint flying a LOT, but MOST of the time I'll launch the bird manually THEN upload the waypoints simply because the auto launch is too "wimpy." I like getting the bird off the ground FAST...especially if there's a little wind blowing. Same goes with auto landing. I like dropping the bird a little quicker. I actually had the bird tip once when the auto land took it's sweet d*** time shutting down the motors. Lesson learned. I either hand catch or manually land the bird myself.

The other reason for landing the bird myself is I bring it in on a glide slope, thus saving precious time and battery. I always face the bird towards me, which has made for some pretty kewl landing video...but I digress....

D

I didn't realize it has auto takeoff or landing but I have them off. Same goes for auto landing gear up and down.. This screws things up when you get low. Visual positioning off unless I see a need. I also turned my brake down just a bit, the when using gps positioning, it's not quite so harsh. Yaw and sticks related to at a minimum.

I didn't realize it has auto takeoff or landing but I have them off.

I allow auto take off about 90% of the time and auto landing 0% of the time.

Same goes for auto landing gear up and down.. This screws things up when you get low.

Yep. Same here. And hell...if I'm shooting nadir. I don't need to waste the motors and worm gear raising landing gear that will never be in the shot. So, unless I NEED to raise the landing gear, its stays down. I do this on my Inspire 1 and M600 Pro. That gear going up and down on it's own just vexes me.

Visual positioning off unless I see a need.

Yep. I shut that off the first day. It just makes the drone's behavior unpredictable IMHO.

I also turned my brake down just a bit, the when using gps positioning, it's not quite so harsh.

Same here. I use ATTI as much as possible, even in the wind. It's great training.

D

I'd like to use it more but find that as our Inspire 2 arrives at a waypoint the aircraft tends to stop with a hitch as if it hit something. This happens more often when it's a waypoint that includes an altitude change.

I too have had plenty of issues with Litchi.

You might want to take a look at the new Dronelink mission planner and app.
It is out in Beta at:

I have only been working with it for a couple of days but so far I am impressed with the start they have made.

I have flown several missions that did exactly what the built in Preview indicated. The framing seem tighter than what I typically get with Litchi. And so far no unexpected behavior that wasn't caused by me.

Fun, powerful and flexible. As it matures and I get better with it I can see it becoming my go to Mission planner.

Reactions: dronelink

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa