Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Live Announcement...

Not bad for what it's got. I suppose if my I1 took a digger into a lake, I might buy one of these. Im certain that after having an I1, you would miss the rock solid stability, follow mode, unobstructed 360 view, and besides all that, the I1 just looks bad ***.
yeah...the P3 is not so much a replacement so much as a link between the P2V+ and the Inspire.

Well that was quick...Nothing really earth shattering. Guess they're going to save the handheld gimbal for NAB?

Still a good step up for the Phantom Series. I will be adding on to my hangar of whirlybirds as I meet the exception requirements for Transport Canada and this bird will keep me under the 2Kg restriction...woot...lol

No release date announced yet. Anyone else feeling a little miffed at DJI? Why did I just spend 5k on an I1 with accessories when I could get 2 or 3 Phantom 3's for the same price with longer flight times and better app features?
Right now the only things the I1 has going for it are the landing gear and 2 man operation... but you could just have your second man fly the 2nd P3 you got for less than half the price!!! :mad:

I think the microUAV category is sub 4.4 lbs so you can squeeze a little more weight in there. =)
Couldn't remember the exact number so went conservative but you are absolutely correct. This will be perfect. Inspire for the big far jobs and phantom for close ups of crowds.

You're not going to get the same result with 2 flying phantoms than with one I1 and a well trained pilot/camera pair working together to get a well composed tracking shot.

Only a point if you use that configuration of course.

I don't know how happy I am with this release, $1259? A lot of the important and best features are brought over from the i1 (manual exposure being the key one, I thought for sure that would be left out and lightbridge at 1259???). Now I know there's the HDMI bit but it's one of those things that's not really needed, I don't think many of us would miss it if it wasn't included to begin with or we'd find a work around, probably shooting myself in the foot there but oh well. 360 movement is achievable in other ways (ie, yaw) Some people seemed concerned of props in the view...can't say I noticed it but I wasn't really looking either (given their "want to see what the human eye sees bit") I'd think they would take that into account, hence the rectilinear lens, the camera is point at a slight angle 85-90% of the time anyway.

It's arguable that stability isn't much of a factor either...the phantom (from what I hear, I've never owned one) is fairly stable, and that stability comes from the flight controller mostly (so perhaps a naza v3 around the corner with a updated algorithm) and as long as the motors can hover at 4000+ rpm I cant imagine any wind over 10mph maybe 15mph would be an issue, but the gimbal will correct most of this anyway.

Than there is the dual op feature...Now, for the most part I fly solo, I know some of you probably don't. The funny thing is it's actually rather difficult to find a friend to man the camera especially one that I feel like could get some good shots, they all have lives, jobs, wives, gf, kids, and what not too and don't wanna put their plans on hold to play with drones. So for me this less of an issue some of you may have a dedicated partner that would head out at the drop of a dime.

I'm not saying I'm unhappy with my Inspire...it certainly has sex appeal over the phantom (the body could've used an overhaul imo but whatever, if it ain't broke don't fix it I guess) but I definitely feel like DJI included way too many features from the i1 and at much more reasonable price point. Even the 3s batteries (if they are still using those, didn't pick up if the made jump to 4s or just bigger 3s packs)

Anyway my .02 cents....

Reactions: britchris1
CNET claimed it was shipping at the end of April. Could be complete bunk.
They also say there's some sort of 'live to YouTube' broadcasting, which seems awesome, yet awfully self-incriminating :)

I definitely feel like they're gonna cannibalize I1 sales. I know I'm certainly looking to save $2K to get (basic) comparable performance and quality, as it's the exact same camera (just not the same gimbal, obviously). DJI needs to quickly come out with a new Inspire 1 kit with that rumored MFT camera included.

Last edited:
From someone with both, trust me, inspire flys soooo much more smoothly. The stops can be jerky but when I fly both I love the way the inspire flys. I wonder how the new phantom will fly compared to the old. Also, wonder if we could pair our inspire remotes to it. I understand they are slightly different but cross compatibility would be grand.

Reactions: Highrpm955
From someone with both, trust me, inspire flys soooo much more smoothly. The stops can be jerky but when I fly both I love the way the inspire flys. I wonder how the new phantom will fly compared to the old. Also, wonder if we could pair our inspire remotes to it. I understand they are slightly different but cross compatibility would be grand.

Flight characteristics are of low concern to me as I will adjust to pretty much any platform but this is just me, I realize not everybody feels this way....The inspire is wonderful to fly, I won't deny this. But like Morgon said, you can save almost $2k by getting a p3 over an inspire and you're getting all the same features PLUS live stream and this editing feature (I wouldn't use it but it is there, maybe to show a client a rough cut on site or something) and the batteries may even be cheaper. Of course minus dual op and 360 movement (but these are little concern to a decent operator)

Flight characteristics are of low concern to me as I will adjust to pretty much any platform but this is just me, I realize not everybody feels this way....The inspire is wonderful to fly, I won't deny this. But like Morgon said, you can save almost $2k by getting a p3 over an inspire and you're getting all the same features PLUS live stream and this editing feature (I wouldn't use it but it is there, maybe to show a client a rough cut on site or something) and the batteries may even be cheaper.
I agree with you completely. I think for hobbiests and people who just like to make videos this is great. For a professional, however, you just can not get the same shots you can with two controllers. I am no videographer and much more into RC flying. I am not a pro but I consider myself a good pilot and we can get close but never the same shots. The smooth pans and the fly bys while keeping the subject exactly where you want in the shot are tough.

I agree with you completely. I think for hobbiests and people who just like to make videos this is great. For a professional, however, you just can not get the same shots you can with two controllers. I am no videographer and much more into RC flying. I am not a pro but I consider myself a good pilot and we can get close but never the same shots. The smooth pans and the fly bys while keeping the subject exactly where you want in the shot are tough.

I can't deny that...Dual op does relieve a lot of stress on the operator to focus on only flying. But still...I feel like I just got sack tapped, I just didn't expect to see so many of our features for half the price..and only 5 months later.

Not to mention the guys that bought the p2v recently

Reactions: Highrpm955
I assume it has been ready for a while. They probably waited on purpose so people would buy the inspire. I can not disagree that it is a "sack tap." to include so much at such a premium price but hey, look on the other crappy side, I was going to sell my PV2+ for $1000 which I have seen done many times with no issues. Now it is worth about half that. HOORAY!

Reactions: skylabimaging
To seperate the I 1 from the phantom 3 the Inspire gets even more expensive as the 4 or 5 k mentioned in one of the last posts.

We have to add the the cost for the new camera, which will be available soon, hopefully! Another 700 or 800 again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84