Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Looking for a polyethylene foam supplier for DIY case configurations

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'd like to do some custom case configurations for my equipment and am wondering if anyone has found a good supplier for PE foam similar in density and quality to what GPC and MR Axessories (et al) use. GPC describes theirs as a "low abrasive soft cell polyethylene foam with the blue MDL cap."

I'd prefer to have color options, but if you've found a good source that only offers gray/black, I'd love to hear about it as well.

Every supplier I've found so far maxes out at 2" thick - not sure if it's made any thicker or just glued together to get into the 5 to 7" range.

Appreciate any info you might have, thanks!

Last edited:
ive used the above mycasebuilder.com to make foam for my P3 as well as a few gun case. they have a large library of shapes. and you pick and choose the size of the foam and where to place everything

dronecase.jpgglock case new bottom 1.jpgglock case new top 1.jpg

Attachments

• dronecase.jpg
    dronecase.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 7
  • glock case new bottom 1.jpg
    glock case new bottom 1.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 6
  • glock case new top 1.jpg
    glock case new top 1.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: _808_
Thanks guys!

I did actually check them out. Their prices are great for what they're offering - especially if you buy the case from them as well.

For others that may be interested in going this route (100% custom design w/o the extra work of sourcing the foam and cutting it yourself), you can buy just the custom PE foam insert or both the case and foam (they offer SKB, Pelican, HPRC, etc. in popular sizes at competitive prices), they use water jet cutters (just like all the big brands we're all familiar with), offer several colors (no up-charge if all one color), and you can have multiple levels (about a $40 up-charge for a larger case).

Quite a bit of flexibility and a very good option for those wanting a custom layout, but not wanting to hassle with sourcing the foam and cutting it themselves.

I don't mind that myself, so I'm going to keep looking around a bit more as I have several medium to large cases to do and prefer the flexibility of buying the foam cheap enough that I can experiment a bit, make some mistakes, and eventually end up with something that's both more functional (for my needs) and a lot more cost effective.

I think what you want to search for is "polyethylene plank foam". You'll have to laminate the layers as I believe it only comes in up to 2" single thickness (or at least that was I'll I ever found). Pretty easy to cut with an electric carving knife or I know people that have made their own hotwire foam carving tools. Youtube has some videos of some of the tools and methods.

Reactions: _808_

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fastprintstar