Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Magnetic storm forecast

Time to stay grounded me thinks.
I've flown in a 5 before and seen a little drift, 7 though is VERY high.
I would not want to even fly in Atti at those sort of levels since there is potential to disrupt the rf link itself between the remote and the Inspire!

Reactions: qbizzy
Ive flown in an 8 with not the slightest GPS drift, which is all you could really expect to happen at worst. In my experience the scare warnings are way over rated. Of course just be extra aware at these peaks and be a little more ready to jump to ATTI if you have to. If you dont fly GPS then its a normal day day. I will be flying both an Inspire and a P2 today.

Edit: right now at 8.09. BST its sitting at 1 in my notification top bar.

I am all about being safe. But this app (there's an iOS version as well) is the only one out there expecting a KP index of 7 today. Everywhere shows a 3 or 4 for today. If you look at the Space Weather Prediction Center's website, you'll see an example of what I am talking about.

The Hover App also states a KP of 3 for today.

The Magnetology app looks nice but I question the app's accuracy. It's probably better to just bookmark the space weather website.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/planetary-k-index

I am all about being safe. But this app (there's an iOS version as well) is the only one out there expecting a KP index of 7 today. Everywhere shows a 3 or 4 for today. If you look at the Space Weather Prediction Center's website, you'll see an example of what I am talking about.

The Magnetology app looks nice but I question the app's accuracy. It's probably better to just bookmark the space weather website.

+1. The app 'K-Index Monitor' is light weight and free and written by a uav pilot. I think its available for ios as well. Only thing it does is put the Index as a green number in the notification bar. Very unobtrusive. Does the job.

Its a 7 tomorrow I believe.

A third, much faster coronal mass ejection (CME) is expected to catch up with the two observed on 18 and 19 June bringing them all to Earth in close succession by the UTC day of 22 June 2015. The CME was associated with an R1-Minor flare event observed at 0142 UTC (9:21 pm ET) from Sunspot Region 12371 located near center disk. A G3-Strong Geomagnetic Storm Watch has been issued for 22 June as well as a G2-Moderate Watch for 23 June as the CMEs make their way past Earth. These Watches supersede all prior forecasts. Stay tuned to the website to see how the activity unfolds!

Thanks David, that is great news - albeit bad news for flying. I will be keeping my bird on the ground today and tomorrow. Is there another way to tell if my magnetic field is going bonkers? I know a compass will show some changes but I am trying to find something I can use in the field.
I flew in the mountains the other day. No cell towers, no power lines and while it was suggested that there was some solar weather on that particular day (I think I read that the KP=5), I still wondered why I had so many RC Video transmission disconnects that day. I had flown at lower elevations earlier that day with no problems. I know you can buy a 2.4g spectrum analyzer to see if there are other disturbances on that band. Is there something similar for the magnetic field? Forgive my ignorance if there is/isn't.

Thanks David, that is great news - albeit bad news for flying. I will be keeping my bird on the ground today and tomorrow. Is there another way to tell if my magnetic field is going bonkers? I know a compass will show some changes but I am trying to find something I can use in the field.
I flew in the mountains the other day. No cell towers, no power lines and while it was suggested that there was some solar weather on that particular day (I think I read that the KP=5), I still wondered why I had so many RC Video transmission disconnects that day. I had flown at lower elevations earlier that day with no problems. I know you can buy a 2.4g spectrum analyzer to see if there are other disturbances on that band. Is there something similar for the magnetic field? Forgive my ignorance if there is/isn't.
I wish I knew the answer to your question, but unfortunately I do not..
Its worth noting though that these magnetic storms can disrupt GPS positioning systems also, so all in all, its best to stay grounded for a couple of days until the storm passes by earth.

Thanks.
I was going to post that question in its own thread eventually. Just wanted to read through all the other posts first so I am not "that guy".

Thanks again for your help

Driving today in Los Angeles CA around 2:30PM (Pacific Time) I noticed a stretch of power lines arcing at each connecting point like when you see someone welding!

I drive this road everyday and don’t recall ever seeing this before? Wonder if that possibly could be from the solar storm? Anyway i'm going to stay grounded till Wednesday just incase.

Funny thing is I downloaded the K-Index app for my Android and it was showing an 8 tonight around 7-8pm EDT. So the above screen shot provided by the OP was correct.

Reactions: qbizzy
I flew today, guess I should not have. I thought it was the end of the inspire. I was videoing some barefoot waterskiing and I could not keep the drone in one place. It was going all over the place. I had to use cross controls. If I put in left input it kept leaning further and further left. Same with each input. I switched from GPS to ATTI back and forth about 5 times and finally regained control. Whats more is the gimbal, or camera, would not stay erect. It kept leaning in line with the drone turning. I am glad that is over. Still got some epic shots though!

Surprised you were brave enough to fly today. Your I1 could have flown off into a crowd of people. These geomagnetic storms are no joke. But I suppose there always has to be someone.

Folks, do us and the UAV industry a favor - don't fly if the KP index is going to be 5 or more. Its not like a snowstorm where you are advised to stay indoors. It should not be optional if you decide to fly a radio controlled aircraft. Helicopters/Airplanes have advanced avionics coupled with trained pilots to deal with this space weather. We don't. We complain that DJI has firmware bugs thereby making our aircraft unpredictable at times. But flying in these conditions is just plain dangerous.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry