Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Mapping problems (semi-newbie question)

Reaction score
I have an Air2 , and can't figure out how to cache a map. I can pull up a map from google earth, using wifi at home, but don't know how to save it so I can see my flight history on something besides a blank screen.

When in the field, how do you get a map without wifi? I imagine this is an ipad question, but I'm at loss.
Thanks in advance.

When in the field, how do you get a map without wifi? I imagine this is an ipad question, but I'm at loss.

I was reading about this just earlier this evening. According the User Manual, page 43, without Wi-Fi, a "mobile data service is required." That translates to a cell phone connection. :( My iPad Air 2 didn't come with that. I didn't think it would be necessary. I was wrong.

I was reading about this just earlier this evening. According the User Manual, page 43, without Wi-Fi, a "mobile data service is required." That translates to a cell phone connection. :( My iPad Air 2 didn't come with that. I didn't think it would be necessary. I was wrong.

Before getting the Air2, I checked to see if 3G was necessary. Nowhere did I find that it was. People talked about using their smart phones as a hub. I've got a portable wfi hub I'll use, but I don't know how to save a map to the transmitter ( or wherever it goes). Lol

I have an Air2 , and can't figure out how to cache a map. I can pull up a map from google earth, using wifi at home, but don't know how to save it so I can see my flight history on something besides a blank screen.

Thanks in advance.

You can scroll to the area you want to fly to. Zoom down to the lowest elevation/highest resolution and move about the area. If you have the slider moved to cache maps, the map will be saved and when you power up, it will be available.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
You can scroll to the area you want to fly to. Zoom down to the lowest elevation/highest resolution and move about the area. If you have the slider moved to cache maps, the map will be saved and when you power up, it will be available.

I did that for my first flight around my home. I have the slider moved correctly. I got no map when I went to view my flight. I had lines showing the flight, and could replay the video, but no map.

I did that for my first flight around my home. I have the slider moved correctly. I got no map when I went to view my flight. I had lines showing the flight, and could replay the video, but no map.

Remove and reload the App.

This works for me with the IPad Air - my cache maps switch is on...and when I go out and fly...the map is there of the area I am going to fly in, I just need to remember to put my tablet in airplane mode when I fly.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms

Thanks, Ed. I'll certainly give that a try this morning.

I thought the iOS app used Apple Maps, not Google as it's maps?

It does. Apple screwed their mapping system up big time when they changed it after the release of iOS 6. Such a big cock up that the CFO had to make a very public apology and the engineer responsible was fired. In some cases major cities were placed nearly 100 miles away from their true locations. In my area the imagery and road layout is close to fourteen years out of date and of such low resolution it's practically unusable. I added the Datalink system to my F550 based Hexacopter to use with my iPad Air but it has proven to be unusable due to the age of the maps. When I receive the Inspire I intend to use Android as it uses Google imagery which is very up to date for this region. Just a big shame there isn't an Android version for the Datalink system.

Regards

Nidge

It does. Apple screwed their mapping system up big time when they changed it after the release of iOS 6. Such a big cock up that the CFO had to make a very public apology and the engineer responsible was fired. In some cases major cities were placed nearly 100 miles away from their true locations. In my area the imagery and road layout is close to fourteen years out of date and of such low resolution it's practically unusable. I added the Datalink system to my F550 based Hexacopter to use with my iPad Air but it has proven to be unusable due to the age of the maps. When I receive the Inspire I intend to use Android as it uses Google imagery which is very up to date for this region. Just a big shame there isn't an Android version for the Datalink system.

Can't Apple replace the maps with google maps with an iOS update? They should if google maps are much better.

Can't Apple replace the maps with google maps with an iOS update? They should if google maps are much better.

In an ideal World the user would have the option to choose the source of the imagery but I'd hazard a guess it would become a conflict of interest on grounds of intellectual property. All the mapping applications I have on my iPad, other than Google Earth, Google Maps, Commander Compass, utilise Apple Maps. These include Flightradar24, WindAlert, eIAIP, and of course DJI's Datalink and Inspire Pilot applications.

I suppose it boils down to what you want from either Apple or Google maps. Many are in favour of Apple's system as it is more suited for such things as car navigation and travel on public transport, apparently. Where as Google is more up to date on its image acquisition and is used extensively for educational and scientific purposes. This is why I personally think that for autonomous flight applications, if DJI intend to make this available on the inspire at a later date, that the Android platform would be more suitable. As I say it's just a personal thing for me as currently DJI's Datalink system is just a novelty item due to the limitations of their iOS app and my current preference for autonomous flight is with APM based systems which run happily on Android and use Google Maps.

Apologies for going off track somewhat.

Nidge

Apple maps is completely unusable for me in the places I want to (and am allowed to) fly. I've sent several "Report a problem"s, but I doubt anything will come of it. Apple doesn't even seem to care about it's own Maps. Entire populated areas in my province have a resolution of about 20meters to a pixel. It doesn't even look like a town...

Before you fly share your phones Internet with your iPad and it will download the map, turn your phone to airplane mode and away you go.

what is the trick? If i download maps at home over wi-fi and then go to fly i don't find part or even the entire map. Should i leave pilot app on? missing something?:rolleyes:

You do not need a cell connection or WiFi out in the field to use a cached map. I have an iPad Mini I use with no cell service. I use it in Airplane mode in the field or with WiFi turned off. The map I cached is available in the Map window.

When you are on WiFi switch the Camera Page so the map is full page. Zoom the map out so the area you are flying in is visible. Open the General Settings and scroll down and switch on "Cache Map In The Background." Then to test to make sure it's the correct area you want, put the iOS device in Airplane Mode and open up the Pilot App. The map should be there and it will stay with the app until you change it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop