Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Matrice 100 Build! Battery compartment and X3

Reaction score
Well finally all the components I need to get started are here. Thank you HeliPal.com. you made this possible with your awesome product availability and awesome quick delivery from Hong Kong. In the time DJI took to process my payment, you were able to process payment and deliver my products to me. You have my loyalty.

So on with the build, first I would like to address the top plate of the aircraft. It is constructed differently than is illustrated in the manual. This concerns me because of my intention to install the Zenmuse X3 camera. It did however install just fine. I've posted pics of top plate before X3 install. I have also posted pics of gimbal connector and camera combo installed.
On the install of the gimbal connector, you'll notice that the top plate of the aircraft is a four piece. In the manual that shows there is a large opening at the head of the top plate. This is where they suggest to install the gimbal plates and the dampeners. upon ordering the gimbal connector kit you may notice that it is missing a small rectangle plastic or carbon piece. This I sure you as normal as I have ordered a total of three Gimbal connector kits and none have had the rectangle piece that is used on the install of the gimbal plate. You will not need this piece anyways.

You will also notice and later pictures that I have installed the extra battery compartment on to the top plate of the aircraft. This is of course for extended flight time for to fulfill the need for other power components. Do you install of the battery compartment was fairly straightforward I did choose to mount the battery compartment as far forward as I could on the top plate to try to balance the weight.
A reminder that if you're using a second battery compartment you must unplug the extra power source that is not connected to the flight controller before powering on your aircraft. Once your aircraft is powered you made then plug in your extra power source.

The Matrice 100 does not have its own individual firmware update package yet. As far as I know you're supposed to be using the Inspire 1 firmware update package. (SEEMS WEIRD,like maybe the release was to early)

If I have missed anything please let me know.
As soon as I can acquire the guidance system I will install it and update this post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 195
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 178
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 178
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 180
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 167
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Kris,

Have you had a chance to do a speed test on the M100 with the X3 camera with a single or dual battery. I am curious to see how fast this is compared to the inspire and the specs on DJI's site. There really isn't a lot of info on this info on the web and from other m100 owners, so any info you have would be useful.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
The Matrice 100 is good for its purpose (a platform to develop hardware and software)
For all round purpose my P3, P2 V+, and Inspire 1 are my go to for getting the job done.

As for speed difference, the Matrice 100 is as fast and at times faster than the Inspire 1. Its hard for me to test at current with our winds here in Nor-Cal. Im registering 3-6 mph faster on a side by side test with only one battery on board.

When adding the second battery you can tell you have a load. I am actually experiencing a very uncomfortable wobble on descending and ascending while adding yaw. I will post video of this soon.

The Matrice seems a bit tighter in Attitude. I would have no worries of operating inside and in tight quarters. It responds and adjust really quickly in GPS mode. Almost to quick. I will show this in video update also.

Service for the Matrice 100, well is less to be desired at the moment. If you buy the Matrice 100, be prepared to buy 2 of everything if you expect to actually fly the aircraft. Ive been requesting service on a battery for 2 1/2 weeks now with very little progress. So i bought 3 more batteries from HeliPal.com. I tried to buy from DJI, and I have. Its been 3 weeks since they charged my card and I still have no update on my order. WTF!!!!! HeliPal.com got the products to me in 2 days. And they are in Hong Kong as well.

Im excited and prepared for testing the guidance system once I can find one in stock.

I have been flying the M100 for the past 48 hours using a dual battery setup 5700ma

I get a very noticeable wobble every 2-3 minutes lasting 2-3 seconds when doing a hover test. It is very unsettling to see the aircraft wobble / almost judder. This worsens during the last 3-4 minutes as the battery is down to the last 20%

any ideas?

Last edited:
Same here. I notice it when ascending/descending and adding left or right yaw. It is very unsettling.
I moved my battery compartments as far back as they will go. Seems to of help A little bit.
However I have not flown it so much because of noticing this issue. And when I do fly it I'm only operating with one battery. Seems stupid and redundant to have an extra battery compartment that I cant use at the moment. I've had enough problems with it as it is to experience it all out crash and burn. It's also using inspire 1 firmware update which is creating a lot of problems for people out there I understand. And specifics fly always then crash, So I can't imagine that it's a smart idea to fly until some clarity is obtained.

Kris

You moved both battery compartments to the rear? I lifted the craft at it's CG point and it is really heavy at the back. I then moved the top battery compartment forward it made it better although to balance it needed about 100g weight at the front.

There is M100 specific firmware on the website you can download. Also the N1 assistant can upgrade firmware automatically

When you say 'crash and burn' have you experienced a crash?

I have been flying the M100 for the past 48 hours using a dual battery setup 5700ma

I get a very noticeable wobble every 2-3 minutes lasting 2-3 seconds when doing a hover test. It is very unsettling to see the aircraft wobble / almost judder. This worsens during the last 3-4 minutes as the battery is down to the last 20%

any ideas?

Hello, yes the all up weight is over 400 grams too heavy, I have the same issue. I am sooo dissappointed.

Reactions: Brent Bierce
I did sort my issue and is now flying perfectly. It was a faulty ESC on M1. Once replaced it was perfect. On subsequent flights I have come to appreciate that the alignment of the arms need to be 100% accurate. There is a notch that needs to lie in the groove perfectly

Please check the arms very carefully to ensure they are perfectly aligned

Here is a 14.6 mile round trip

I did sort my issue and is now flying perfectly

Thank you for the tip. Was that the only issue you found. I did some calculations and the all up weight when using 2 batteries, guidance and the x3 camera puts it over by around 430 grams. Any thoughts

I did sort my issue and is now flying perfectly. It was a faulty ESC on M1. Once replaced it was perfect. On subsequent flights I have come to appreciate that the alignment of the arms need to be 100% accurate. There is a notch that needs to lie in the groove perfectly

Here is a 14.6 mile round trip

I hate to bother you but how did you diagnose the faulty esc

Thank you for the tip. Was that the only issue you found. I did some calculations and the all up weight when using 2 batteries, guidance and the x3 camera puts it over by around 430 grams. Any thoughts

You will be over the payload. I got around this by getting rid of the x3 gimbal camera and plate and using a small 10g camera and N1 video encoder which added 60g instead of 400g

You will be over the payload. I got around this by getting rid of the x3 gimbal camera and plate and using a small 10g camera and N1 video encoder which added 60g instead of 400g
Isn't that how it has been marketed with all of there advertising it says you can use these accessories and then have the ability to carry your own extra accessories? Doesn't seem right to advertise these abilities but be over on the weight? If you don't mind telling me how did you wire in your own camera. I'm curious about trying that. Would save a lot of weight. Thanks for the help!

I hate to bother you but how did you diagnose the faulty esc

It was always m1 prop that dropped and caused the wobble. Swapped M1 and M3 arms around and still had the problem. I found it cumbersome to swap the ESC around so I bought a spare set and replaced esc1 and it cured the problem. Subsequent flights I noticed a slight wobble and was getting despondent when I noticed M2 arm was not properly seated after I had dismantled. Seating it properly cured it instantly.

It was always m1 prop that dropped and caused the wobble. Swapped M1 and M3 arms around and still had the problem. I found it cumbersome to swap the ESC around so I bought a spare set and replaced esc1 and it cured the problem. Subsequent flights I noticed a slight wobble and was getting despondent when I noticed M2 arm was not properly seated after I had dismantled. Seating it properly cured it instantly.
Good to know that is smart. I didn't think of that. Thank you sincerely Ralph

You need to buy the DJI N1 video encoder which is a tiny flat box

You take off the x3 gimbal holder and plate and use the 2 leads to connect to the N1 video encoder box

You will receive 2 small cables - 1 lead is Gnd and positive video (yellow )

The other reserved lead has many wires but has a 12V positive and ground leads which can power a tiny camera. Make sure the camera can handle 12V power as most are only for 5V - you will need a step down regulator if you use the 5V cameras.

I used a tiny 12V Sony camera

Isn't that how it has been marketed with all of there advertising it says you can use these accessories and then have the ability to carry your own extra accessories? Doesn't seem right to advertise these abilities but be over on the weight? If you don't mind telling me how did you wire in your own camera. I'm curious about trying that. Would save a lot of weight. Thanks for the help!

Gotcha, makes total sense btw is it possible in your opinion to use dual camera example a small Sony and a flir camera. I'm sure it could be done but I'm not sure how and what would do the video switch. On my other drones I use the DJI Mark2 can their or is their a way to do this on the Matrice. I appreciate your expertise.

Gotcha, makes total sense btw is it possible in your opinion to use dual camera example a small Sony and a flir camera. I'm sure it could be done but I'm not sure how and what would do the video switch. On my other drones I use the DJI Mark2 can their or is their a way to do this on the Matrice. I appreciate your expertise.

You might be able to connect one camera using the AV input and the other camera using an HDMI input (if the camera has a HDMI output). That way you should be able to swith between AVI and HDMI on DJI Go although I haven't figured that one out yet as I have not plugged a HDMI camera into the N1 video encoder

You might be able to connect one camera using the AV input and the other camera using an HDMI input (if the camera has a HDMI output). That way you should be able to swith between AVI and HDMI on DJI Go although I haven't figured that one out yet as I have not plugged a HDMI camera into the N1 video encoder
Yes that makes sense. I just got through replacing the m1 esc. It helped about 50 percent. I also checked the arm alignment of the arms and they are spot on. Should I try changing out the other esc sequentially. I guess if it is bothersome enough then the sender is yes. I guess I will keep going till all 4 are switched out to make sure I'm good to go. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. That's very kind.

Hey Guys..good to see this thread going..new to matrice 100 from phantom 3...wobbling is scary and I didn't understand what do you mean by "ESC" :)...also my guidance system keeps playing games, working and not working..a message on the screen keeps coming and going..any hints here?

Finally, how can you manage to find out the flying time with two batteries? on the DJI go screen i get only one battery data it seems.

Thanks for all the help

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool