Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

measuring height of obstacles

I use a laser rangefinder and trig. Sometimes I find it easier to fly up to the obstacle with the camera level and note the height. I always add a safety margin

Thanks for this question.

There are so many range finders on amazon (I’m in the USA). Can one of your cats who use these recommend a good bang for the buck? I dont play golf and would only use this for measuring height of structures. These things have so many features that wont necessarily translate over to what I would use it for.

Thank you in advance!

The one I have is for measuring distance to a target for purposes of calculating bullet drop. I would avoid the rubberized rangefinders because the coatings tend to disintegrate overtime. I had to remove my coating with solvent because it became very sticky. You will need to range the base of the tower from your position as well as the top of the tower. On a structure like an antenna, it can be a little tricky and you may need to take multiple readings to find the correct distance. Use any good trig app on your smart phone to find the height. Are use one called Trig Help.

Reactions: marctronixx
Trig is part of the deal... You can get something like this:

But I'd save $800, get a basic rangefinder and use an app to find the height. It may actually be easier to learn and use than the above.

As I posted above, I would recommend the TruPulse 200 shown above. It will do the calculations you want to determine height. Basically, it will replace a cheap single measurement laser and a free app. You mentioned your too lazy to do the math.... I'm too cheap to pay $850 for a trigonometric rangefinder!!! :)

I did not mean to offend anyone. There is just no magic device that calculates height without the math. This rangefinder simply includes the math behind the scenes so you can just point and click to get the height. Actually it's click, click, click... You need three clicks to get the height of a tower etc.

The maximum range is about 2000 meters for these devices. I assume most people would be closer than that distance.

As I posted above, I would recommend the TruPulse 200 shown above. It will do the calculations you want to determine height. Basically, it will replace a cheap single measurement laser and a free app. You mentioned your too lazy to do the math.... I'm too cheap to pay $850 for a trigonometric rangefinder!!! :)

I did not mean to offend anyone. There is just no magic device that calculates height without the math. This rangefinder simply includes the math behind the scenes so you can just point and click to get the height. Actually it's click, click, click... You need three clicks to get the height of a tower etc.

The maximum range is about 2000 meters for these devices. I assume most people would be closer than that distance.

What about this one:

It’s cheaper than the trupulse and it’s Nikon. :) does it calculate the same info as the trupulse one?

Thank you for helping and I’m sorry the OP is offended. I too and lazy with math and just want to get on with it and if these units can save me the time of using a trig app, I’ll on board...

"Anyone using any electronic devices to measure the height of objects? Poles, antennas, etc. Yes, am aware of the trigonometry but I'm lazy. "
I am not offended; it just gets old asking for help and getting replies that go on a tangent, obviously not reading the original question. I specifically said I did not want to do math, obviously implying a point-n-shoot solution, but I keep getting told about the math. Really? I was a traffic collision reconstructionist in the 90s, court qualified as an expert. I can do trig in my sleep.I know (Duh) these electronic devices internally calculate various functions.

There is a plethora of these devices on the web; was hoping someone had a recommendation on one they own.
No such luck.

As a drone flyer for 7 years my technique & suggestion is save yr money on gadgets because they will give u false security. It’s the object that is not clearly visible that is yr biggest threat. The range finders will not see wires, thin branches or e.g. higher trees that are beyond the near trees. Part of my standard checklist is on the first flight, fly to straight up to about 100’ or whatever seems appropriate and do a slow 360. See what is above the horizon (or approx. above 0 deg with gimbal pitch at 0). Everything above the horizon is higher than the drone. Tweak this process as appropriate. But it also helps to have done a site survey beforehand which involves as a minimum looking at google earth, geological charts and the VFR Sectional for yr area. This is doubly important if the terrain is not flat because, remember the altitude of the drone is only referenced to your Home Point. If the terrain rises beyond yr FOV then the drone will effectively be descending, but this will not appear as a vertical speed or lower altitude on yr Camera View.

As a drone flyer for 7 years my technique & suggestion is save yr money on gadgets because they will give u false security. It’s the object that is not clearly visible that is yr biggest threat. The range finders will not see wires, thin branches or e.g. higher trees that are beyond the near trees. Part of my standard checklist is on the first flight, fly to straight up to about 100’ or whatever seems appropriate and do a slow 360. See what is above the horizon (or approx. above 0 deg with gimbal pitch at 0). Everything above the horizon is higher than the drone. Tweak this process as appropriate. But it also helps to have done a site survey beforehand which involves as a minimum looking at google earth, geological charts and the VFR Sectional for yr area. This is doubly important if the terrain is not flat because, remember the altitude of the drone is only referenced to your Home Point. If the terrain rises beyond yr FOV then the drone will effectively be descending, but this will not appear as a vertical speed or lower altitude on yr Camera View.
Well that's the last time I'll ask a simple question here......Moderator-feel free to close this thread..

Well that's the last time I'll ask a simple question here......Moderator-feel free to close this thread..
Isn’t this the point of an open forum? This is how we learn from others.

Sometimes simple questions are asked but the answers are not that simple. The fact that nobody responded with a direct answer is or should be indicative of the fact that not many people here are using that method.

I think the best lesson to take from this thread is to use all available resources when launching an aircraft. It’s really not that much different than flying a manned aircraft.

Take what you want from the answers and comments that were left here and make your best decision.

I learned something from this thread and I will be forever grateful.

@licensed pilot , I get your frustration here. you are asking a simple question about an “all in one” range finder that can be used when on missions, yet everyone feels they need to “educate” or school you on how to best do this or that.

You are not asking the question of “what’s the best way to measure an obstacle”.. you’re asking if someone has an opinion on a range finder that you, a licensed pilot, can use.

I get it, and i too would like to know more. That Nikon one listed above sounds good and its at a good cost so I may give it a try.

@licensed pilot , I get your frustration here. you are asking a simple question about an “all in one” range finder that can be used when on missions, yet everyone feels they need to “educate” or school you on how to best do this or that.

You are not asking the question of “what’s the best way to measure an obstacle”.. you’re asking if someone has an opinion on a range finder that you, a licensed pilot, can use.

I get it, and i too would like to know more. That Nikon one listed above sounds good and its at a good cost so I may give it a try.
Thank you for "getting it." You may be the only one. :) I learned my lesson about asking simple questions here.

Reactions: slim.slamma
That Nikon one listed above sounds good and its at a good cost so I may give it a try
Hi and sorry for the reviving! What do you think about their new LASERFORCE(here is a summary but I don't trust them)? Thinking about it in case then losing a drone is the worst thing

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan