Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Memory Size for the Ipad pro 9.7 32 or 128

Reaction score
I was planning on only using the 2 ipads im buying for the inspire 2 only. Will 32g be enough?

I was thinking of buying the 32g for the slave and 128 for my main.

2nd question Is the Autopilot app that uses gps cellular service really worth the extra cost of the cell service and will it only work if the unit has service. A lot of the places I shoot have no service and Im not sure if the GPS updates without it.

This is my first thread so thanks for any help ( and trust my i have searched the heck out of this answer to no avail)

Thanks

Sprint confirmed GPS will not work when not in cell service. That doesn't work for me.

Now I need to know about the memory. 32g on sale now for $525 and 128g $699 if I go through major chain.

In Australia, cellular plans can be expensive and coverage sparse in remote areas (ie about 90% of the country). According I use a Garmin GLO which connects readily to the iPad Air 2 I use and provides GPS co-ordinates for Apps like Autopilot. Remember the RC, even though it is connected to the iPad (or tablet), cannot derive any GPS data or co-ordinates from the iPad.

Reactions: Cyklev
That's interesting David. I've heard w/ a cell ipad even though it doesn't have the sim in it will still allow things like dynamic home point which aren't possible without it, and I've heard the opposite.

Picked up the 32g (slave) and the 128g (master) ipad pro 9.7. For most of the stuff I do I just will hand over the data but sometimes I may want to give a little cut in the field, maybe the 128g will store enough data to do small edits in the field.

That's interesting David. I've heard w/ a cell ipad even though it doesn't have the sim in it will still allow things like dynamic home point which aren't possible without it, and I've heard the opposite.
Airbud
With my I1 I did an experiment to confirm that RC does not get any GPS information or co-ordinates form the tablet (iPad) which I posted on this forum. I also wrote to DJI and received confirmation from technical support that this was the case. I have posted a number of comments to this effect on the forum, particularly where people have been seeking help as to which tablet/iPad to get and asking about GPS capabilities of the tablet(iPad) which I always say "DON'T BOTHER - the RC can't use the information in the DJI Apps". No one has produced any evidence that RC's acquire GPS information from attached tablets. Now that the I2 RC does not have an in built GPS device this information is even more critical. Attaching a tablet to your I2 RC, regardless of its GPS capabilities will not provide the RC with any GPS capabilities. The only option appears to be the externally fitted DJI supplied device. Anyway I'm not sure that a dynamic home point is an I2 option.

Reactions: Viper Pilot
Attaching a tablet to your I2 RC, regardless of its GPS capabilities will not provide the RC with any GPS capabilities. The only option appears to be the externally fitted DJI supplied device. Anyway I'm not sure that a dynamic home point is an I2 option.

I must be missing a point somewhere, why do you want the RC to have GPS capabilities anyway?

The app needs GPS available to it if you want to be able to reset the home point to your current location and an iPad with cellular capabilities has a functional GPS receiver even when not connected to the cellular service...

The app can get the GPS information from the device it is running on, or from a GPS receiver module attached to the RC, but the RC itself does not need or use the GPS data as far as I know...

I must be missing a point somewhere, why do you want the RC to have GPS capabilities anyway?

The app needs GPS available to it if you want to be able to reset the home point to your current location and an iPad with cellular capabilities has a functional GPS receiver even when not connected to the cellular service...

The app can get the GPS information from the device it is running on, or from a GPS receiver module attached to the RC, but the RC itself does not need or use the GPS data as far as I know...
Mark.
To address each point in turn.
With the I1, the RC has a standard (some say poor quality) GPS Device built in. When the RC is on and connected to the quad-copter you will see a small blue circle with white border on the Google Map view, showing the RC's position. If you cover the top of the RC with a metal object, and with a tablet that has GPS capabilities attached to the RC, the blue circle will not appear. Therefore you are unable to use the Dynamic Hope Point function. For example, sitting in a moving boat and having the quad-copter follow you and you don't want the quad-copter to return "home" if connection is lost.
Your second comment "The app needs GPS available to it if you want to reset the home point to your current location ..." etc is not correct. I agree that an iPad can have a functional GPS receiver even when not connected to the cellular service.
Finally you say "The app can get GPS information from the device it is running on" is not correct to my understanding. Yes with an I2, and the DJI supplied GPS receiver module connected to the RC, the app will show the RC position on the screen (enabling the resetting of the home point) but why would DJI supply and sell this device, if the RC could derive GPS data/co-ordinates from the iPad connected to it?
The experiment I conducted is detailed on this forum at RC's GPS Location - Does the RC Communicate with an iPad to get a GPS Fix?
at comment #7.

Regards
David

Reactions: eldorado and tjxfly
Mark.
To address each point in turn.
With the I1, the RC has a standard (some say poor quality) GPS Device built in...

... and if we were talking about the I1 then I have no doubt you'd be right, but we are talking about the I2, so I regret, you are wrong.

The I2, like the Phantoms and the Mavic gets GPS data from the device the app is running on.

DJI also provide the option of a GPS module to connect to the controller, but it is not a requirement.

The module is useful if you have a wifi only iPad which does not have GPS and it is possible the module may deliver a better/stronger fix, but that has yet to be tested.

As long as your device has GPS built in, that is all you need for the I2...

I would get the ipad pro 128 gb model and buy a "dual SkyPro xgps160". You will want other apps such a UAVFORECAST, AirMap, SkyVector, etc on your ipad for convenience. They are wifi so you don't need cell service and you can check them before leaving home. The dual GPS will interface with the iPad pro and give you very accurate gps anywhere you can get a satellite.

I have the Inspire 1 Pro & the iPad Pro, 9.7" 128 GB with cellular (but no plan). Two pluses;
1 I found my old iPad Air 32 GB got very hot when using Autopilot with a 7 or 8 min busy flight plan. The App did crash a couple of times. iPad Pro has a much faster processor.
2 the Autopilot folks advised getting the IPad Cellular to aid the accuracy of Google maps. Autopilot runs from the iPad and assumes the iPad locations on the map are accurate. The iPad Pro has the pressure altimeter and the cellular antenna give more accurate lat/long. The Inspire has a accurate GPS and altimètre. Both the iPad and Inspire nav run independently but are overplayed on the iPad. the best accuracy of both devices is key to accurate overall nav.

I'm very pleased with the iPad Pro and find that the Inspire flies very accurate Autopilot tracks

Last edited:
Reactions: Viper Pilot
... and if we were talking about the I1 then I have no doubt you'd be right, but we are talking about the I2, so I regret, you are wrong.

The I2, like the Phantoms and the Mavic gets GPS data from the device the app is running on.

DJI also provide the option of a GPS module to connect to the controller, but it is not a requirement.

The module is useful if you have a wifi only iPad which does not have GPS and it is possible the module may deliver a better/stronger fix, but that has yet to be tested.

As long as your device has GPS built in, that is all you need for the I2...
Mark
Following on from your comment I took my I2 outside and confirmed what you said is correct. I apologize for inadvertently spreading false information. I did a quick test by changing the Home Point to where you are with the controller, and this showed the small blue circle on the Google map, BUT ONLY if my iPad had GPS capabilities (Bluetooth link to my Garmin device.) Thanks for commenting and clearing up a "misunderstanding" I carried over from my I1 days.
David

Following on from your comment I took my I2 outside and confirmed what you said is correct

Not a problem, and I'm pleased you were able to confirm the behavior to your own satisfaction.

It is often difficult to keep the idiosyncrasies of each DJI device clear in the mind so I'm never surprised when things get a little confused occasionally.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
examdumps1