Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

MP2 or Inspire 1 pro

Reaction score
Hello guys I have the opportunity to swap my MP2 for a Inspire 1 Pro with x5 but I don't know what to do...I live near the coast so that's what most of my photo's are..

Hello guys I have the opportunity to swap my MP2 for a Inspire 1 Pro with x5 but I don't know what to do...I live near the coast so that's what most of my photo's are..
I have both and really don’t plan on moving either of them. I use an Olympus 14-48mm zoom lens with the Inspire and can virtually get any shot I want. The 4/3 video is superb. The MP2 is a good flying camera with great range and no glitching, but you can’t beat the 4/3 sensor on the Inspire. Tough choice. If you can afford both, why not do it!!

Reactions: Donnie Frank
I think you're dealing with an "apples to oranges" situation. As pointed out already, the Inspire 1 is a great cinematic platform that's hard to beat, especially in dual operator mode. I have a Mavic Pro that's great for quick real estate stuff or quick YouTube stuff, but it doesn't come anywhere near the Inspire 1, let alone with the X5, let alone in dual operator mode. Now I realize that the MP2 has a better sensor and (hopefully) a higher bitrate. But it doesn't have dual operator capabilities, which is huge for cinema.

So as always, this really boils down to your use case. If you're doing commercial work that demands cinematic video, I would go for the Inspire 1. Remember; you can always upgrade that platform to an X5R, which really takes it to the next level.

But...

The MP2 is quick and easy and shoots "good enough" footage for 90% of what most of us do. That said...

The industry is moving toward high-end FPV platforms that are blowing all other aerial platforms out of the water. Once you mount a Red or ARRI to a flying platform that has a top speed somewhere north of 80mph, all these other platforms become dinosaurs.

D

They are 2 different class platforms, and different aged platforms. The Inspir 1, X5 is a great platform, I have 2x Inspire1v2: X5R, X5, Z3, XT 640R. But it's an older platform for batteries, and parts... although it appears batteries are getting easier again. The I1 in my opinion was "The" performer, the raw no-frills, no bells sports car sUAV in the sky... it was basic, performed exceptionally well, and introduced an iconic shape!

It's the oldest consumer / prosumer drone still flying and supported by DJI & 3rd Party.

The M2P was also a leader in it's small foldable platform. It continues to be a top choice in many venues... extremely stable, great GPS and compared to the LightBridge of Inspire 1, a very nice radio system with ample distance and reliable video on the screen.

Noise: The Inspire 1 is much louder, different pitch... it will draw more attention both in audio and it's iconic shape & folding legs.

If you're used to the M2P, the flight behavior of the I1 will be different... maybe a little concerning for you. Most I1 Owners have gone from the Inspire 1 to newer crafts.... going to an older craft may be a little concerning flying for you... it will move around more and it'll climb & drop more. Not alarming, but concerning if you're not accustomed.

The X5R in my opinion, even if not using the advanced codecs... produced better results than the X5.
The X5R doesn't require additional license purchases like the Inspire 2 X5S, it's tad slower processing but it's pretty comparable to the X5S and advanced codecs. The X5R processes on the camera, the X5S processes on the Inspire 2.

The M2P is a great setup & package, the I1 has essentially been retired by many prior to the release of M2P.
I'd retain the M2P and watch for a used Inspire 2 with X5S. Price wise, the avg Inspire 1 X5 is on eBay for about $400-800 more than a M2P. That doesn't indicate much more than Proud Owners still placing high value on their old Inspire 1.

The Inspire 2's are beginning to be offloaded, some for the Mavic 3Cine, some in anticipation of the Inspire 3 and some flushed for the M2P. My point is... the Inspire 2's will get more common on the used block for better prices.

Good Luck on Decision.

They are 2 different class platforms, and different aged platforms. The Inspir 1, X5 is a great platform, I have 2x Inspire1v2: X5R, X5, Z3, XT 640R. But it's an older platform for batteries, and parts... although it appears batteries are getting easier again. The I1 in my opinion was "The" performer, the raw no-frills, no bells sports car sUAV in the sky... it was basic, performed exceptionally well, and introduced an iconic shape!

It's the oldest consumer / prosumer drone still flying and supported by DJI & 3rd Party.

The M2P was also a leader in it's small foldable platform. It continues to be a top choice in many venues... extremely stable, great GPS and compared to the LightBridge of Inspire 1, a very nice radio system with ample distance and reliable video on the screen.

Noise: The Inspire 1 is much louder, different pitch... it will draw more attention both in audio and it's iconic shape & folding legs.

If you're used to the M2P, the flight behavior of the I1 will be different... maybe a little concerning for you. Most I1 Owners have gone from the Inspire 1 to newer crafts.... going to an older craft may be a little concerning flying for you... it will move around more and it'll climb & drop more. Not alarming, but concerning if you're not accustomed.

The X5R in my opinion, even if not using the advanced codecs... produced better results than the X5.
The X5R doesn't require additional license purchases like the Inspire 2 X5S, it's tad slower processing but it's pretty comparable to the X5S and advanced codecs. The X5R processes on the camera, the X5S processes on the Inspire 2.

The M2P is a great setup & package, the I1 has essentially been retired by many prior to the release of M2P.
I'd retain the M2P and watch for a used Inspire 2 with X5S. Price wise, the avg Inspire 1 X5 is on eBay for about $400-800 more than a M2P. That doesn't indicate much more than Proud Owners still placing high value on their old Inspire 1.

The Inspire 2's are beginning to be offloaded, some for the Mavic 3Cine, some in anticipation of the Inspire 3 and some flushed for the M2P. My point is... the Inspire 2's will get more common on the used block for better prices.

Good Luck on Decision.
Agreed on your observations. After flying the P4P the word I use to describe my Inspire 1 is "barge." And, yeah, the thing drifts. A LOT. I still use my Inspire 1 every week. Amazing it still makes money after all these years. I suppose I could probably do the same job with my P4P or even my Mavic Pro, but I established a very reliable work flow with the Inspire 1 and I don't wish to change it.

D

The Inspire 1 was the drone to own... back when it was new the other options were pretty sad from it's main competitor: Yuneec.

Still today, any movie that presents the elite drone shows an Inspire (1 or 2) due to iconic shape.

I have 2 Inspire 1's ... won't sell them, my fondness value far exceeds practical resale value.

The Inspire 1 was the drone to own... back when it was new the other options were pretty sad from it's main competitor: Yuneec.

Still today, any movie that presents the elite drone shows an Inspire (1 or 2) due to iconic shape.

I have 2 Inspire 1's ... won't sell them, my fondness value far exceeds practical resale value.
My Inspire 1 still makes roughly $1500/month. I could probably use my P4P, but as been mentioned before, the Inspire 1 form factor has a certain "pro" look to it. I can tell my clients with confidence that it isn't a "Best Buy" drone.

D

My Inspire 1 still makes roughly $1500/month. I could probably use my P4P, but as been mentioned before, the Inspire 1 form factor has a certain "pro" look to it. I can tell my clients with confidence that it isn't a "Best Buy" drone.

D
That's still a productive craft!
My 2 Inspire 1's make zero... sitting in case looking pretty. I may need to get them out again. I typically do a Saturday AM exercise normally 2-3x a year just to check them and take the time to recharge batteries up to mid-point on those in storage.

Still an enjoyable craft to fly, has it's own character for sure!

Reactions: Donnie Frank
That's still a productive craft!
My 2 Inspire 1's make zero... sitting in case looking pretty. I may need to get them out again. I typically do a Saturday AM exercise normally 2-3x a year just to check them and take the time to recharge batteries up to mid-point on those in storage.

Still an enjoyable craft to fly, has it's own character for sure!

My Inspire 2 makes zero. So I feel ya. My I1 sits in the case keeping the garage company.

Reactions: dougcjohn
In my opinion, M2P no question. I have the M2P and used to own the i1. The M2P image quality is way better. Let that be your guide. Put them up side by side, take some pics (especially in low light!), and then decide.

In my opinion, M2P no question. I have the M2P and used to own the i1. The M2P image quality is way better. Let that be your guide. Put them up side by side, take some pics (especially in low light!), and then decide.
Just curious.. what camera on the I1; The X3 or Z3?
The X5, and specifically the X5R easily outperforms the M2P camera.

Just curious.. what camera on the I1; The X3 or Z3?
The X5, and specifically the X5R easily outperforms the M2P camera.
That's a good point. I had the X3 on my i1. It was fine at the time, but just doesn't hold up to the way newer Mavic and Banksyb71 did mention the X5. That being said, it's not all about the camera. There's the amount of compression and other processing affecting the final image and the technology in the Mavic is newer so that's why, if at all possible, I highly recommend shooting a side-by-side comparison. I don't think there's any other way of knowing which would be better.

That's a good point. I had the X3 on my i1. It was fine at the time, but just doesn't hold up to the way newer Mavic and Banksyb71 did mention the X5. That being said, it's not all about the camera. There's the amount of compression and other processing affecting the final image and the technology in the Mavic is newer so that's why, if at all possible, I highly recommend shooting a side-by-side comparison. I don't think there's any other way of knowing which would be better.
I'd agree... comparison would help with choice.
I haven't used my X5R lately, but the X5S... uses same 12mm Zuiko and similar sensor... also X4S for mapping.

I fly a construction site, buzz around taking quick progress shots for Board & Owners with M2P, and do a video loop with I2 X5S, plus a few photos. Both useful crafts.

RAW Photos are clearly better on X5S due to sensor size & lens.
The X5R is MFT, 12.8 Dynamic Range, 12 Bit...
The X5S is also 12.8 DR, 12 Bit... jumps in still image MB size.
M2P has 14 stops DR, 10 Bit, 1" Sensor.
Lens and sensor size make it for my needs... 1 stop DR doesn't add significant difference in sensor sensitivity.

All great cameras... I just feel larger sensors offer more.
M2P is more hover stable and more nimble to control.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207