Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

My first crash! Sad.

Interesting story. The Inspire 1 doesn't have a rolling home, like the Phantoms recently received (updates every 2 seconds or something like that)? I was surprised by this part of your tale.

Interesting story. The Inspire 1 doesn't have a rolling home, like the Phantoms recently received (updates every 2 seconds or something like that)? I was surprised by this part of your tale.
Yeah, and I knew better, too. I was just pushing it to much to the limit. That's why I likened it to a new driver.

Its a great idea to share mishaps because we all learn from them. So the dynamic home point function is not really dynamic I take it. Also, I think the Inspire does some calculations based on battery left and distance from home before it decides what to do. I would have thought under those circumstances it would have just landed. But then, my inspire is still enroute which is why I am reading everything I can about it before it arrives... And I am waiting for a new A2 GPS pro plus module so my F650 is grounded. Thanks for sharing Jason, sorry about your mishap.

Its a great idea to share mishaps because we all learn from them. So the dynamic home point function is not really dynamic I take it. Also, I think the Inspire does some calculations based on battery left and distance from home before it decides what to do. I would have thought under those circumstances it would have just landed. But then, my inspire is still enroute which is why I am reading everything I can about it before it arrives... And I am waiting for a new A2 GPS pro plus module so my F650 is grounded. Thanks for sharing Jason, sorry about your mishap.
That's exactly what I expected for it to do: just land. Also, since I had the gear down I figured I could just give it input to land. Neither of those things happened. I've heard if you switch to atti mode that you can regain control in that circumstance. I need to test if that is true.

Yea, people need to be very cautious and aware of their home points especially if they're on a moving boat or something.

What concerns me is that it didn't fly up to the default 20m before starting to return to home. Unless that feature is turned off until you explicitly turn it on in the app?

Another user on here had his fly into his Corvette on a low battery, when it was assumed that it should have just landed where it was since he was within 20m from it.

I still need to test close-range low battery behavior in an open park.

No, it didn't try to grab altitude and that surprised me. I had the min altitude of return to home set at about 70 meters since the trees are so tall where I was flying. All told, it just didn't react how I expected it to react.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, you said you believe your Inspire's intent was to land where that log was, which was where you believed your last RTH was marked? In the video, I didn't see your Inspire attempting to slow down as it approached that log, more specifically it seems as though it wanted to got past that point? I guess it could be in the margin of error for the actual GPS vs. calculated GPS, still it seemed to be accelerating up until impact....

Just curious...

Oh! About your "Drone" blog & hat, I think you're on to something.... Don't take your hat off.

It was flying a straight line to where I last set my RTH to the controller.

Yes, flying a straight line in the direction of the last home point. The log wasn't the last home point, the log just happened to be in the way when it was returning "home".

This is why I'll always try to keep line-of-sight of the aircraft and not let any objects or buildings get between me and it.

Last edited:
@blade, a while ago you were looking for video evidence of a craft not rising up to RTH height before returning home, or if within 20m, simply landing where it currently is (which is what the release notes say should happen).

is this, and the blog it came from, sufficient evidence of that to be able to take it to DJI? This behaviour keeps catching people out, which implies it is either a bug or not very desirable programming.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry