Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Nearly lost the Inspire this morning on the beach...........

ya here are is my encounter of a territorial bird a few years back, I wanted to get a picture of the nest when all of a sudden an Osprey flew out of it. Who knew, at first I was like "how cool, an Osprey", As she was circling like a fighter making a loud squawk I started thinking to my self wow shes loud it was not until the second shot of her right in font of the copter I figured it out that I needed to back off and it's not a good idea for me to be there. It was not my intention to push the limits and if I knew how protective they are I would not have attempted to get a picture of the nest but since I set the camera on interval shooting, it was just shooting a way.

Note to all just be careful. These wonderful looking creatures of nature are only doing what they know what to do. They are very territorial, just keep that in mind.

best to all.

mail_eOsprey7.jpg mail_eOsprey6.jpg

I have been flying out over the water a few times and can confirm that there are often birds interested in the I1.
I was really concerned at first but having just stayed calm and observed the birds I began to realise they were flying around it rather than at it.
We have even experienced birds coming right into our shot as we film for commercials, often the timing is perfect and really adds to the piece.

And before you all jump on me:
We do fly commercially
we are insured
we are approved for commercial filming

I can attest to how strong the props on the inspire are. I was (foolishly) hovering the inspire in one of the rooms of my house, when it started to gravitate towards one of the walls, through prop wash or something I guess. The Inspire hit the wall, leaving slices in the plaster about 1cm deep...the only damage to the prop was some very light delaminating on the very tips of the props.

Ive had problems with Osprey in Kings Beach Lake Tahoe while flying at the glider spot with a Zagi multiple times. 3 showed up, the first 2 slowly checked it out at a distance and took turns moving in closer. After the first 2 finished, and I came down to land, the 3rd flew in very fast out of no where with talons out in front like it was going to grab it out of the air( about 5 feet from the ground). It diverted when it was about 1-2 feet away.
I have had alot of birds check out my airplanes but only a few times with the copters, typically they never come near my heli and check out from a distance my multi rotors.

The best option is do not chase away, or accelerate above them to seek dominance over them, any Wildlife officer (Twig Pig, Pine Pig or other Federal officer) will consider action like that as harassing wildlife.

Feds cite Marin County men over drone helicopter flight at Alcatraz
Hedrick was cited on suspicion of disturbing wildlife, operating aircraft within 500 feet of a boat dock, creating hazardous conditions and operating an aircraft within the Federal Aviation Administration-imposed closure of 2,000 feet above the island. Paquett was cited on suspicion of filming without a permit.
http://www.marinij.com/general-news...-men-over-drone-helicopter-flight-at-alcatraz

Here is a example of someone getting busted, he was flying a Maxi Joker, 850mm copter

Last edited:
Y

Yes I'm sure. No sign of nesting birds or any other wildlife at the location (maybe some fish below surface but clarity of water precluded any decent visabilty to check for shoaling fish [emoji14]).
I am actually CAA certified with permission for aerial work (PFAW) and carry £5m liability cover as well as £3,500 airborne. I also do a risk assessment at each flying site and have a full pre and post check list procedure and ops manual.
These birdies came out of nowhere........:eek:
if it is possible and you do not mind, can you share you pre and post flight checklist? i liked the one from adam savage's vid that was posted here but i am sure there is /are more... maybe another sticky for all of us where all thoughts and checks are gathered and with enough info and data we could make a little log book or manual... this could be seperatly be used at flights. hmm??
just thinking...

Here is a few things to the above question, as of check list I am in the midst of trying to put something together, its what I got so far and I know may be missing some step, but its here to look at and just something I am working on.

best

here's a good cloud base logbook

http://drone.cloud2.mobi/

Aircraft assembly before preflight

• Make sure aircraft is in Landing Configuration - If not in landing mode put the unit into a landing configuration
  • Install and Secure camera/gimbal Unit
  • Look over aircraft for out of ordinary damage or issues.
  • Attach props examine each prop, for damage and shape (make sure each are tighten down).
  • Install Prop Locks

Preflight Procedures - Check List
  • Examine Aircraft for unusual damage or components
  • Examine each motor
    • make sure each are in flight condition
    • spin with no resistance
    • spin with no looseness in each unit
  • make sure each prop is install properly
  • make sure each prop lock securely in place.

On RC Controller
  • Check battery level
  • Install tablet - mount
  • check tablet battery level
  • connect tablet communications wire
  • If there is an external Monitor connect monitor wire.
  • Power on RC Controller
  • Bring Interface app on Tablet
On Inspire 1
  • Make sure the copter is on a level surface
  • Check Battery Level - make sure it's in operational levels
  • Power On Unit and let it run thought its start up sequence with unit and camera
  • Confirm Communication link between the Transmitter and Inspire.

Once a communication link is established between the Controller tablet and Inspire unit, go through controller check list.

RC Controller / Tablet Check List

• On app (if not already up) bring up Aircraft State window.
    • check overall - Normal
    • Confirm Status light - with expected mode
    • Compass - Normal if calibrate/Optional. or if in different location do a calibration
    • Confirm flight mode - P-GPS, P-OPTI, ATTI
    • Confirm RC Mode - MODE1, MODE2
    • Confirm Battery % - make sure its within expectations and more then 40%
    • Confirm Aircraft Battery Temperature
    • Confirm Controller Battery
    • Confirm SD Card - if camera is installed.
    • Close State Window
  • Check camera,
    • Look for video coming back on the tablet and/or monitor if nessisary
    • Check Camera's responsive to tilt and a picture is coming back
  • Check map (if available) see if location is where you are of if no internet service is provided

Before takeoff check list
  • Make sure copter is on lever ground
  • Confirm clearance of all objects for a safe operations
  • identify all wires, trees, grass, fences, buildings, possible wildlife, and people.
Take off and Landing Zone
  • Scout out alternative landing zones identify any object that could cause issue in performing a safe landing in those zones.
  • Before engaging motors of aircraft make sure any person with in a determine safety zone is briefed of the aircraft intentions and understand what is needed to perform a safe operation.
  • Before takeoff/Landing make sure all people are within a safe distance to perform operation.

Do Final Check for takeoff
  • Top status bar on the Controller app.
    • check flight mode to make sure it co insides with expectations
    • check GPS Status/confirm it's the same as light indicator on UAV
    • Check status/message area
    • Check Controller signal strength
    • Check Video signal strength, if necessary
    • Check Battery percentage
  • Bottom Status Bar on Controller
    • check directional orientation
    • check height, Distance, Vertical Speed, and Heading Speed number
On Controller

• Confirm Battery power in controllers led lights
  • Check antenna alignment
  • Check if landing gear switch is in correct position
  • Check make sure mode switch is in desirable position
Take off

• Make final safety check for clearance
  • engage motors making sure everything is nominal.
  • Announce takeoff
  • apply power to until the inspire raises off the ground
  • at three feet do a quick stick check seeing if the copter is responsive to inputs
  • lift landing gear and fly

Landing

• on approach to landing zone make sure area is clear of people or any other obstacles that may cause and issue to landing
  • Decent into area staying visual of the inspire and keeping it at safe distance from people and objects.
  • Lower landing gear
  • On touchdown disengage motors.
  • before approaching copter make sure all motors have stopped and then it is safe to powering down the battery.

Red tailed hawks in the City of Denver??? I had one harass me a few days ago! Didnt think they lived in the city! They must be here for the marijuana!

I had a bird circle around my aircraft the other day. Just flew around it until I brought it back. It was mostly just above the camera's view, but a few times became visible. You can see it at the top right of the attached pic.

i1_bird2.jpg

Reactions: mdomeny
Are you sure? The pre-flight check should ensure that there are no hazards to persons, property, wildlife and aircraft.

Scott. If your are saying that... if your not 100% sure that nothing's going to change then you should not fly... then none of us could ever fly at all. Best laid plans sometimes go tits up. Get over it.

Reactions: PerthPilot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool