Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Need help recovering "my" Inspire from DJI repair California

Reaction score
After owning my Inspire 1 v2 for a while now I finally goofed up and crashed it. I thought "no big deal, I have the Care plan".
I went online created the shipping label, boxed my broke Inspire up and sent it in to the DJI service center in California.

I got a few pictures of the broken parts, and the repair cost to be deducted from my Care plan account and a couple days later received a tracking number
for the UPS return shipping. I thought everthing was going great...yeah right?!

I was home the day the UPS guy arrived all ready to unbox my freshly repaired drone and take it out for a spin.

I opened the box and there was my case, (it has stickers on the outside) pulled the case out and opened it up to find what looked like a brand new drone in the case.
At first thought that there must have been a crack in the body or something and they had to replace it.

Then I picked the drone up out of the case, and it's not my drone. I immediately called the service center and after two days on the phone I have gotten nowhere.

I sent in a DJI Inspire 1 V2.0 built in Dec of 2017, I received a DJI Inspire 1 v1 built in 2014. My drone had the new "H" motors, the x5 mount, the haringbone carbon weave, etc.
The one i recevied has a x3 only "smaller" viberation mount, it has the older standard motors, and the "camo" carbon pattern, which I've read is prone to cracking. The drone is clearly a refurb because the battery connectors have "arching" burns on then and the compartment has scratches from battery removal and installation. A lot of battery removal.

All that aside, I use my Inspire for Search and Rescue and Damage assessment with the County Emergency Management Office where I live, it has been modified by a company in Dallas to carry a FLIR camera in the back. This modification is of course now gone.

Everytime I call customer service after a long chat they ask me for the serial number and after running the serial number through, they tell me that according to the serial they show that it "is" an Inspire 1 v2. and according to them this can not be incorrect because no one has ever made a mistake entering serial number into a database.

I want "My" drone back! I have sent in numerous pictures showing the clear difference between the two drones. not to mention the fact that I've had two customer service people tell me that I was sent the refUrb drone because that is the policy with the "refresh" program. I told them the "refresh" program is not even available for the Inspire 1 and if that's the case they owe me a huge refund because the "care" program is a lot more expensive than the "refresh" program. Not to mention they owe me a refund because the replacement drone is not the same model as the one I sent in. It's like the difference in a Mavic and a MavicPlatinum.

Can anyone help me get "MY" Insipre 1 v2 back? Does anyone know who to contact to talk to directly that will actually "know" what i'm talking about?
I fear that the more time that goes by my original drone will be lost in the shuffle some where. If nothing else then I at least want the proper drone for a replacement.

I really just wanted mine repaired. I have no idea why they even sent a replacemement except they don't even know the differences between their own policies.

Thanks
This is "my" serial number W13DEH160R2021

Pics1.jpg

I’m here in Los Angeles. I’ll drive down to Carson and demand they return it. Joking. I doubt they would even open the door. I’ll grab a buddy that works for UPS and use him as cover lol.

I’m so sorry to hear this horrible experience, but honestly Dji has the best drones in the market but the worse customer service ever. This is the reason why I didn’t even bother to get a Dji care warranty because I’ve heard terrible stories about Dji’s care program. I repair my own inspire and I get the parts online. I know I’m not helping but is there anyway you can hire a lawyer and sue Dji? This is a practically theft or switch and bate isn’t it? I would start by contacting the better business bureau where Dji is based and then file a complaint. Then, I will contact consumer protection group there as well and will even right a letter to CA’s attorney general. It’s a long process but maybe Dji will realize it’s not worth the trouble and bad publicity and return your drone.

Any chance DJI decided your drone was un-repairable and so in order to fulfill their end of the agreement they shipped you a refurbished unit? I've read from many Mavic Pilots that DJI refresh was just sending new replacement Mavic Pros after the crash even if it wasn't that bad, so maybe that's just what they do. But I'm sure somewhere in the legalese of the agreement they can send a refurbished model. Especially considering the long production run of the I1 series.

The interesting question is what happens to the registration? I'm sure you had it registered as a commercial aircraft, and so therefore the FAA has that serial number on file as yours, with your "tail number" associated with it. When it gets repaired and cycled through how will the FAA database be updated? Will the new owner be able to transfer the registration? Will the database even allow for duplicate serial numbers? What if it is just parted out? And can you just reuse the registration on the replacement, even though the serial numbers won't match?

If that’s the case shouldn’t Dji contact us first before sending a refurbished drone that’s not even the same model as the original drone that was sent in? Shouldn’t Dji give us the option to decide if we still want to go through the repair or maybe just take the damaged drone back? Whenever I send my MacBook Pro to Apple for repair they would let me know if I want to continue with the repair if it’s not what initially agreed for like if there are additional parts that needs to be replaced or additional costs, I still make the final decision but what Dji did here is kept the owner in the dark and made all the decisions by themselves without consulting the owner.

Reactions: Jim Weist
If that’s the case shouldn’t Dji contact us first before sending a refurbished drone that’s not even the same model as the original drone that was sent in? Shouldn’t Dji give us the option to decide if we still want to go through the repair or maybe just take the damaged drone back? Whenever I send my MacBook Pro to Apple for repair they would let me know if I want to continue with the repair if it’s not what initially agreed for like if there are additional parts that needs to be replaced or additional costs, I still make the final decision but what Dji did here is kept the owner in the dark and made all the decisions by themselves without consulting the owner.

Apple is a little different case I think. This year I've had two Apple devices replaced, one under Apple care due to broken screen and another due to the iPhone battery issues. Both were replaced with a refurbished unit that was the exact same SKU. Apple doesn't upgrade their models without issuing a new model number. DJI apparently does. For example, I'm typing this on a "MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)" which is a very specific description and if I had it replaced under Apple care or a recall I would get a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) with a 1 TB drive and 16 GB ram. But Apple sells a lot more units than DJI and has been doing this for a long time. They also don't have much in the way of upgrades or customization either (aside from software, which is normally backed up and you're told to backup before the service date). In fact they've been going out of their way to make it very difficult to modify their hardware in recent cycles. Any physical modifications done are easily undone (cases, keyboards etc) and transferred to the new device. I suppose if I had to get a refurbished MacBook I'd miss my stickers but that's not the end of the world either.

Not that it excuses DJI. They should make it pretty clear that you'll get a refurbished unit, and that before you pack up the craft you should remove any modifications, etc (and probably remove the registration). I had my I1 pro repaired a few months ago, not through DJI care, and it took a week or so for them to even come up with a quote. But I absolutely did get the same unit back and it did take a few weeks. My guess is that they have no intention of repairing aircraft under the DJI care plans, only replacing them, with the goal of keeping you in the air.

Reactions: richard roxas
Any chance DJI decided your drone was un-repairable and so in order to fulfill their end of the agreement they shipped you a refurbished unit? I've read from many Mavic Pilots that DJI refresh was just sending new replacement Mavic Pros after the crash even if it wasn't that bad, so maybe that's just what they do. But I'm sure somewhere in the legalese of the agreement they can send a refurbished model. Especially considering the long production run of the I1 series.

The interesting question is what happens to the registration? I'm sure you had it registered as a commercial aircraft, and so therefore the FAA has that serial number on file as yours, with your "tail number" associated with it. When it gets repaired and cycled through how will the FAA database be updated? Will the new owner be able to transfer the registration? Will the database even allow for duplicate serial numbers? What if it is just parted out? And can you just reuse the registration on the replacement, even though the serial numbers won't match?
You have to cancel the registration of the replaced craft and register the new one. So a swap costs you $5 for that. And, yes, DJI Care really only works for stock unmodofied craft. But that doesn’t explain the missing X5 mount and other stuff. But as far as the mods for carrying LIDAR, DJI is not responsible for that. I sure hope she gets his craft back! I undo mods before sending a craft in, just because I’m paranoid about voiding the DJI Care agreement.

Reread the service agreement. DJI states that you may not get back the same drone you sent in for repair

Reread the service agreement. DJI states that you may not get back the same drone you sent in for repair
But you should get back like for like, meaning if he had as X5 mount he should get back an X5 mount... and he didn't. DJI messed up on the terms of their service agreement.

I can certainly see your point and in my opinion you need to keep making noise until they take care of this.
You should keep calling. Document all calls, get case numbers, employee names etc. for future reference and so you can track your progress.
If you keep making noise they will eventually try to appease you just so you stop bothering them.
DJI is a big company and although I have not had to deal with them it's common sense that basically they have to take care of their customer who is paying thousands of dollars for their products.

I hope you get this fixed!

I can certainly see your point and in my opinion you need to keep making noise until they take care of this.
You should keep calling. Document all calls, get case numbers, employee names etc. for future reference and so you can track your progress.
If you keep making noise they will eventually try to appease you just so you stop bothering them.
DJI is a big company and although I have not had to deal with them it's common sense that basically they have to take care of their customer who is paying thousands of dollars for their products.

I hope you get this fixed!

This is exactly true DJI will take care of their customers

Only one thing to do, go down to the building where they work use the drone they sent you and dive bomb them to submission.
If that doesen't work read the fine print on your repair contract.
Bad luck mate!

Only one thing to do, go down to the building where they work use the drone they sent you and dive bomb them to submission.
Bad luck mate!
The "fine print" SAYS he's supposed to get that X5 mount back and he didn't.

Bad luck mate!

LOL:D so harsh mate haha don't

What you send them and what they return to you are two different things . there running a trade in program they pulled the same BS on a camera I sent them.

After owning my Inspire 1 v2 for a while now I finally goofed up and crashed it. I thought "no big deal, I have the Care plan".
I went online created the shipping label, boxed my broke Inspire up and sent it in to the DJI service center in California.

I got a few pictures of the broken parts, and the repair cost to be deducted from my Care plan account and a couple days later received a tracking number
for the UPS return shipping. I thought everthing was going great...yeah right?!

I was home the day the UPS guy arrived all ready to unbox my freshly repaired drone and take it out for a spin.

I opened the box and there was my case, (it has stickers on the outside) pulled the case out and opened it up to find what looked like a brand new drone in the case.
At first thought that there must have been a crack in the body or something and they had to replace it.

Then I picked the drone up out of the case, and it's not my drone. I immediately called the service center and after two days on the phone I have gotten nowhere.

I sent in a DJI Inspire 1 V2.0 built in Dec of 2017, I received a DJI Inspire 1 v1 built in 2014. My drone had the new "H" motors, the x5 mount, the haringbone carbon weave, etc.
The one i recevied has a x3 only "smaller" viberation mount, it has the older standard motors, and the "camo" carbon pattern, which I've read is prone to cracking. The drone is clearly a refurb because the battery connectors have "arching" burns on then and the compartment has scratches from battery removal and installation. A lot of battery removal.

All that aside, I use my Inspire for Search and Rescue and Damage assessment with the County Emergency Management Office where I live, it has been modified by a company in Dallas to carry a FLIR camera in the back. This modification is of course now gone.

Everytime I call customer service after a long chat they ask me for the serial number and after running the serial number through, they tell me that according to the serial they show that it "is" an Inspire 1 v2. and according to them this can not be incorrect because no one has ever made a mistake entering serial number into a database.

I want "My" drone back! I have sent in numerous pictures showing the clear difference between the two drones. not to mention the fact that I've had two customer service people tell me that I was sent the refUrb drone because that is the policy with the "refresh" program. I told them the "refresh" program is not even available for the Inspire 1 and if that's the case they owe me a huge refund because the "care" program is a lot more expensive than the "refresh" program. Not to mention they owe me a refund because the replacement drone is not the same model as the one I sent in. It's like the difference in a Mavic and a MavicPlatinum.

Can anyone help me get "MY" Insipre 1 v2 back? Does anyone know who to contact to talk to directly that will actually "know" what i'm talking about?
I fear that the more time that goes by my original drone will be lost in the shuffle some where. If nothing else then I at least want the proper drone for a replacement.

I really just wanted mine repaired. I have no idea why they even sent a replacemement except they don't even know the differences between their own policies.

Thanks
This is "my" serial number W13DEH160R2021

View attachment 21253

I hope you have gotten your original drone back. I made the terrible mistake of sending a brand new Inspire 1 to that same center and it was hell getting her back. I was very new to the drone world and ordered the Inspire 1 after many hours of researching drones. When I received it she wouldn't come out of travel mode. Instead of sending it back to the seller on Amazon because they weren't responding to me I sent it to DJI. Big mistake! It took me two months to get a replacement. DJI maybe state of the art in drone innovations but their repair and service center are highly disfunctional and should only be used as a last result. I hope all is well for you now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters