Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Need opinion on "stiff" Gimbal during IMU Calibration

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I need to have your opinion about a specific problem that i've with my brand new Inspire 2
( well...one of the few problems that i got with my new Inspire 2 )
When i'm doing a IMU calibration with the X5s camera mounted on the Inspire 2
My camera stay "stiff" during the whole time unlike a Youtube video that i've found of
a guys doing a IMU calibration with his camera on....his camera is moving during the whole process.
I've try to match his "move" with mine with some video editing...
I know you don't have to do the IMU calibration with the camera mounted on the aircraft
but doing this seem to expose one of the problem that i've.
Let me know what you guys think cause the authorized DJI dealer is telling me that's it's normal...
Here is the link of the video:

Fast forward at 0:39 where the comparaison is starting
Thanks !!

Hi Guys
I need to have your opinion about a specific problem that i've with my brand new Inspire 2
( well...one of the few problems that i got with my new Inspire 2 )
When i'm doing a IMU calibration with the X5s camera mounted on the Inspire 2
My camera stay "stiff" during the whole time unlike a Youtube video that i've found of
a guys doing a IMU calibration with his camera on....his camera is moving during the whole process.
I've try to match his "move" with mine with some video editing...
I know you don't have to do the IMU calibration with the camera mounted on the aircraft
but doing this seem to expose one of the problem that i've.
Let me know what you guys think cause the authorized DJI dealer is telling me that's it's normal...
Here is the link of the video:

Fast forward at 0:39 where the comparaison is starting
Thanks !!

The IMU calibration is independent of the camera. You should be able to REMOVE the camera and conduct IMU calibration. In other words, the camera has nothing to do with IMU calibration. Ergo, your camera may simply be set to a different mode than the YouTube video camera.

D

The IMU calibration is independent of the camera. You should be able to REMOVE the camera and conduct IMU calibration. In other words, the camera has nothing to do with IMU calibration. Ergo, your camera may simply be set to a different mode than the YouTube video camera.

D
Hi Donnie Frank
Like i've clearly mention in my post:
I'm well aware that you don't need to have the camera mounted on the Inspire 2 in order to do a IMU calibration.
I had three Inspire 2 before that new one and i've never done a IMU calibration with the camera mounted cause
there is not point or benefit of doing it that.
I've just use that IMU calibration with the camera as a example to show my abnormal stiff gimbal problem
I do remember that when i was holding my previous Inspire 2 when they were "turn on" ( with a X4s or a X5s camera mounted )
The camera was never stiff...
Like when doing a compass calibration,on the second step,when you rotating the Inspire 2 "front facing up"
My cameras were always changing position during that second step...
My new one does not...it stay stiff all the time.
This is not the only problem that i've with this new Inspire 2 but they seem all related to the stiff gimbal
so that why i'm asking other Inspire 2 user is they have ever had a stiff gimbal.

Hi Donnie Frank
Like i've clearly mention in my post:

"Mentioned." Yes.

I'm well aware that you don't need to have the camera mounted on the Inspire 2 in order to do a IMU calibration.
I had three Inspire 2 before that new one and i've never done a IMU calibration with the camera mounted cause
there is not point or benefit of doing it that.

Correct.

I've just use that IMU calibration with the camera as a example to show my abnormal stiff gimbal problem

This makes no sense. If there is a gimbal problem all the time, why use IMU calibration to flush that problem out? If there is NOT a gimbal problem all the time, and only during IMU calibration, then it's not really a problem. So because you aren't making sense, you need to further explain WHY you are using an IMU calibration as a "troubleshooting tool."

I do remember that when i was holding my previous Inspire 2 when they were "turn on" ( with a X4s or a X5s camera mounted )
The camera was never stiff...

"Stiff" is not really the word I would use. "Stiff" is a MECHANICAL state that would exist whether the camera were powered on or not. In your video, the camera appears to be ELECTRONICALLY locked down. "Stiff" could mean that the camera was slow to react to angle change. Your camera doesn't seem to be reacting at all. It seems to be locked down. On purpose.

Like when doing a compass calibration,on the second step,when you rotating the Inspire 2 "front facing up"
My cameras were always changing position during that second step...

Copy that. I always wondered why the DJI firmware didn't lock down the camera during these calibrations. It doesn't seem good for the camera or gimbal to allow it to flop around all over the place. Seems "locking down" the camera is the right thing to do. It's how *I* would've written the Firmware. See where I'm going with this????

My new one does not...it stay stiff all the time.

Then I would ask which firmware your new Inspire 2 has, and then compare that to the YouTube video firmware and your previous Inspire 2 firmwares.

This is not the only problem that i've with this new Inspire 2 but they seem all related to the stiff gimbal
so that why i'm asking other Inspire 2 user is they have ever had a stiff gimbal.

Your post is vague as to whether or not this gimbal problem occurs outside the IMU calibration process. I'm going to guess not. Otherwise you would've shown the locked down gimbal during normal state. Since you didn't do that, I assume the gimbal is locked down ONLY during calibration processes. Ergo; I'm going to guess that the locked-down camera/gimbal state is an improvement/update deployed in the latest firmware. But these are just guesses from a guy who's never even seen an Inspire 2 in person.

Thoughts?

D

"Mentioned." Yes.

Correct.

This makes no sense. If there is a gimbal problem all the time, why use IMU calibration to flush that problem out? If there is NOT a gimbal problem all the time, and only during IMU calibration, then it's not really a problem. So because you aren't making sense, you need to further explain WHY you are using an IMU calibration as a "troubleshooting tool."

"Stiff" is not really the word I would use. "Stiff" is a MECHANICAL state that would exist whether the camera were powered on or not. In your video, the camera appears to be ELECTRONICALLY locked down. "Stiff" could mean that the camera was slow to react to angle change. Your camera doesn't seem to be reacting at all. It seems to be locked down. On purpose.

Copy that. I always wondered why the DJI firmware didn't lock down the camera during these calibrations. It doesn't seem good for the camera or gimbal to allow it to flop around all over the place. Seems "locking down" the camera is the right thing to do. It's how *I* would've written the Firmware. See where I'm going with this????

Then I would ask which firmware your new Inspire 2 has, and then compare that to the YouTube video firmware and your previous Inspire 2 firmwares.

Your post is vague as to whether or not this gimbal problem occurs outside the IMU calibration process. I'm going to guess not. Otherwise you would've shown the locked down gimbal during normal state. Since you didn't do that, I assume the gimbal is locked down ONLY during calibration processes. Ergo; I'm going to guess that the locked-down camera/gimbal state is an improvement/update deployed in the latest firmware. But these are just guesses from a guy who's never even seen an Inspire 2 in person.

Thoughts?

D
Hi Donnie
Well...after reading your response i've the feeling that " i've woke up the beast " !!
If my answer have offended you in any way i apologize...that was not my intention.
I've only post my IMU calibration video as a example that other Inspire 2 owner could related to.
My problem is more complex than a stiff / locked gimbal but it's definitively part of the problem.
My new Inspire 2 does have the latest firmware so if that was my only problem,
i could have considered the stiff / locked gimbal something normal...
Here another video link of another of my problems

You will notice that there is a unusual noise starting at the same time when the gimbal seem
to "twitch" and lock into a straight position...kinda like a muscle that was contracting or cramping
To me...it seem like the part who is "driving" the gimbal seem "move" into a overloading phase.
That's where the noise could come from...
And when i'm using a second kit of battery,right after emptying a first kit,i'm losing the main camera video feed
during the booting of the Inspire 2,i've to stop and restart it several time to finally get the main feed back.
Just like if some part has overheat during the first flight.
And again...this is just just few others "pieces of the puzzle" but you get the idea...

Hi Donnie
Well...after reading your response i've the feeling that " i've woke up the beast " !!
If my answer have offended you in any way i apologize...that was not my intention.

No worries. I'm just here to help...or try, anyway.

I've only post my IMU calibration video as a example that other Inspire 2 owner could related to.

Then I would change the thread title from "stiff" to "locked down." The former implies some kind of inherent mechanical problem that is very confusing to the reader. My opening statement would be, "Note: Outside of the IMU calibration process, the camera and gimbal behave normally." This will REALLY drive your point home and make your objective crystal clear.

My problem is more complex than a stiff / locked gimbal but it's definitively part of the problem.

See...the trouble here is that when it comes to troubleshooting via text, you REALLY have to be diligent with the details. Leaving ANYTHING out changes the entire forensics process. So my SECOND paragraph would've described ALL problems in excruciating detail. OR...make a video (as you did). But, there's a problem with the video. I'll get to that later.

My new Inspire 2 does have the latest firmware so if that was my only problem,
i could have considered the stiff / locked gimbal something normal...

You stated that DJI techs told you that this behavior was normal. So now I'm confused again.

Here another video link of another of my problems

You will notice that there is a unusual noise starting at the same time when the gimbal seem
to "twitch" and lock into a straight position...kinda like a muscle that was contracting or cramping

Sorry...I notice nothing. There's a bevy of noises going on in your video. I assume, based on your three Inspire 2's, that you're a video professional. So I don't have to sell you on how important good audio is, ESPECIALLY when using said audio for forensics. I assume you have a good microphone and digital recording device. You need to put the microphone next to the camera so that that becomes the dominant audio source. Otherwise, the noise floor in your video makes it useless for forensics.

To me...it seem like the part who is "driving" the gimbal seem "move" into a overloading phase.
That's where the noise could come from...

Is that the clicking noise???

And when i'm using a second kit of battery,right after emptying a first kit,i'm losing the main camera video feed
during the booting of the Inspire 2,

So this is a whole new problem not previously mentioned. Your posts would greatly benefit from a bullet list of problems/issues.

i've to stop and restart it several time to finally get the main feed back.
Just like if some part has overheat during the first flight.
And again...this is just just few others "pieces of the puzzle" but you get the idea...

Honestly, between the confusing audio in your video and the new information, it's kind of getting into a "herding cats" situation. I'm not drying to be a jerk here. I'm just telling you that, as a person who troubleshoots a LOT of problems almost daily, when *I* purport issues to someone more experienced than myself, I spare no detail and make sure all my points are crystal clear. Perhaps a better troubleshooter doesn't need all that. But I honestly loathe Easter Egg hunts for information. Just lay it all on me, man. Again, not trying to be a jerk. Just trying to give advice that will help the community help you.

D

Reactions: The Editor
I'm sure i could have expose my whole problem better and i kinda did about a week or two ago but
the whole thing seem to complicated for most that i didn't really receive any answer...
So i've decide to do another post with only a simple part of the problem that other Inspire 2
owner could have already experienced with their setup.

I need to ask...did you watch the second video of the noise on your phone ?
Cause i'm sure i could have done a better job at recording it but i didn't see the
point since the noise is quite obvious when i watch the video on my imac
The first guy that i've send the video told me the same thing...there was no abnormal
noise in my video...but he was just a regular seller,not a tech so maybe he was
totally unaware of what is normal and what is not...

Anyway,the whole post is now irrelevant cause the tech from where i've bought my Inspire 2
have contacted me yesterday at the end of the day to let me know that the noise was not
normal,it was obvious to him but he have no idea what could be the cause...
So i'm gonna have to go see him with my Inspire 2
And he use the same "noise" video link that i've include in this post.
Thanks for trying Donnie !!

If you are starting another thread, this one should now be closed - yes?
Hi The Editor
Since my problem is now gonna be take care of by the tech i no longer
need any help from the members and i'm not gonna start another thread
about my problems but...yes...you can close this one.
Thanks !!

Still, it would be good to know if this "stiff/noisy" gimbal was indeed a troublemaker or not. Please keep us posted ...

Still, it would be good to know if this "stiff/noisy" gimbal was indeed a troublemaker or not. Please keep us posted ...
Hey Buddy !!
The tech told me that he will take a look at it but they have very few parts in stock and
there is a good chance that my Inspire 2 is gonna be ship to DJI...
From there...who know what is gonna happen ?
They might just replace the aircraft by another one or they might repair it...
I guess time will tell but i think with the virus thing...it's gonna take quite a while

Hey Buddy !!
The tech told me that he will take a look at it but they have very few parts in stock and
there is a good chance that my Inspire 2 is gonna be ship to DJI...
From there...who know what is gonna happen ?
They might just replace the aircraft by another one or they might repair it...
I guess time will tell but i think with the virus thing...it's gonna take quite a while
Crap, but I'm with you! Don't accept anything not to your liking, bro ...

Crap, but I'm with you! Don't accept anything not to your liking, bro ...
It's a real shame because i've never seen a Inspire 2 that stable !
When hovering and when flying.
I mean almost Mavic like stable...
I remember reading on a forum that the reason why the Inspire 2 were not stable when hovering
was because of their size...
Well that Inspire 2 prove otherwise !!

I've already been "fighting" for the last month to prove that my brand new Inspire 2 had a problem
and now i'm most probably gonna lost that "unicorn" not only for a very long time but with DJI...
who know what i'm gonna get back...probably a refurbished lemon !!

It's a real shame because i've never seen a Inspire 2 that stable !
When hovering and when flying.
I mean almost Mavic like stable...
I remember reading on a forum that the reason why the Inspire 2 were not stable when hovering
was because of their size...
Well that Inspire 2 prove otherwise !!

I've already been "fighting" for the last month to prove that my brand new Inspire 2 had a problem
and now i'm most probably gonna lost that "unicorn" not only for a very long time but with DJI...
who know what i'm gonna get back...probably a refurbished lemon !!
Absurd statement about Inspire's size blamed for hovering instability! I'm flying quads and hexes twice that big with no issue here. It is related to a specific rising arms design, IMU design flaw or QC, whatever ... Since you've got that stable bird (luck of a draw?) I'll be very cautious with DJI repair service ... Most likely they'll replace the entire FC module, and the roulette will spin again. Let me ask you one question: strange gimbal noise aside, is the image quality compromised in any way, as compared to other birds in your fleet?

Absurd statement about Inspire's size blamed for hovering instability! I'm flying quads and hexes twice that big with no issue here. It is related to a specific rising arms design, IMU design flaw or QC, whatever ... Since you've got that stable bird (luck of a draw?) I'll be very cautious with DJI repair service ... Most likely they'll replace the entire FC module, and the roulette will spin again. Let me ask you one question: strange gimbal noise aside, is the image quality compromised in any way, as compared to other birds in your fleet?
Trust me...i've read enough horror story about DJI repair or lack of repair to know that a "visit to DJI" is not on my wish list !!
I feel like if i was in a poker game with four aces that i had to let go...
From that point...no matter what i get back...it's gonna be "less good" for sure !
Compare to my other Inspire 2,the video image seem very normal except that it seem more sensible to the
"choppy" image that you get when you moving to fast ( right or left ) or ( up or down with the gimbal )
Going straight line is fine,even at good speed but as soon as i "move the gimbal too fast".it feel like i'm recording in 24fps when i actually record in 30fps.
Let say that i seem to get "choppy" video more easily compare to my last Inspire 2 that also had a X5s...
Might be related to the whole problem or it might be in my head...at this point,it's a quite subtle difference.

Trust me...i've read enough horror story about DJI repair or lack of repair to know that a "visit to DJI" is not on my wish list !!
I feel like if i was in a poker game with four aces that i had to let go...
From that point...no matter what i get back...it's gonna be "less good" for sure !
Compare to my other Inspire 2,the video image seem very normal except that it seem more sensible to the
"choppy" image that you get when you moving to fast ( right or left ) or ( up or down with the gimbal )
Going straight line is fine,even at good speed but as soon as i "move the gimbal too fast".it feel like i'm recording in 24fps when i actually record in 30fps.
Let say that i seem to get "choppy" video more easily compare to my last Inspire 2 that also had a X5s...
Might be related to the whole problem or it might be in my head...at this point,it's a quite subtle difference.
I've seen your sample videos and - honestly - I think you're just fine. But ... perhaps you see things I can't. It's a tough decision to keep your 4 aces with such flaw (or not flaw really), or let it go. We all read horror stories about DJI repair service because happy tales aren't published. No need to write these ...

I'm not sure that you'll get a lemon back from DJI Service. I firmly believe that really badly wobbling birds are rare and these few were loudly reported on forums. I'm sure DJI introduced some changes to a hardware, resulting with .0400 FW version perhaps in an attempt to address (patch) the issue. However, they never admit or deny the problem with Inspires' hovering stability. After all Inspire concept was born as a filmmaking platform for action movies and the attempts to replace a camera crane will fail ...

I've seen your sample videos and - honestly - I think you're just fine. But ... perhaps you see things I can't. It's a tough decision to keep your 4 aces with such flaw (or not flaw really), or let it go. We all read horror stories about DJI repair service because happy tales aren't published. No need to write these ...

I'm not sure that you'll get a lemon back from DJI Service. I firmly believe that really badly wobbling birds are rare and these few were loudly reported on forums. I'm sure DJI introduced some changes to a hardware, resulting with .0400 FW version perhaps in an attempt to address (patch) the issue. However, they never admit or deny the problem with Inspires' hovering stability. After all Inspire concept was born as a filmmaking platform for action movies and the attempts to replace a camera crane will fail ...
I know it's a though call but i'll cross that bridge when i reach it !!
For the moment,the dealers tech guy is gonna be my first stop...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop