Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

New Drone Registry - FAA Admits Registry Will Be Public

Door to door shopping list for criminals!

Reading the article, it looks like it will be searchable by registration number. So either someone would have to search random reg numbers looking for an address in a particular area, or they would need your reg number.

That said, I am pleased the AMA is going to be addressing the new rule in court, and plan to rejoin the AMA to support their effort.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Editor
supposedly people are registering already using prepaid gift cards, I think I'd rather not have registered at all because now they will get a $27K fine and charged with providing false data to a Government Agency which I'm sure is another quite hefty fine.

This is bad news, we have people out there trying to shoot down drones because they don’t like them now they will have your address. I see trouble coming.
Those of us fortunate enough to live in firearms friendly states like Florida probably won't mind so much having drones for extended recon I'm guessing they don't want to play in my backyard. Seriously though let's give things time to shake out.

Like I said in the other thread on this topic, they are registering drone owners, not drones.

Given the hysteria about drones, it'll be easy for the crazies to find you now.

A Google map display of evil drone owner perverts in your neighborhood won't be far behind, brought to you by the same folks who make those sex offender registry maps.

Reactions: RJ Evans
Reading the article, it looks like it will be searchable by registration number. So either someone would have to search random reg numbers looking for an address in a particular area, or they would need your reg number.

That said, I am please the AMA is going to be addressing the new rule in court, and plan to rejoin the AMA to support their effort.

I am currently and have been an AMA member off and on for 30+ years. All the AMA is doing is trying to insert themselves in this registration for their benefit, not the benefit of AMA members. The insurance they provide is a joke and $75 a year for a magazine is another joke. The FAA registration just made the AMA less relevant.

Clearly lobbying for AMA registration to the FAA is self serving for the AMA. If there is going to be a registration, $5 (free for a limited time) for 3 years is better than $75 every year......

I for one hopes the FAA tells the AMA to beat feet!

Rob

and $75 a year for a magazine is another joke

Hi Rob,

I'm puzzled by your implication that the magazine costs $75. The entire membership is $75, and I seem to recall that you could opt out of the magazine for a $9 or $10 reduction. So it seems it is $65 for everything else and $10 for the magazine.

As I recall the insurance was mainly there to make it more palatable for a land owner to allow a club to fly on his property. Depending on where you live this may or may not be much of a benefit. I live in the San Francisco Bay area and open land is at a premium so that perk seems to be valuable to me, well, not me actually, but my friends that still fly the bigger stuff. I just fly little park flyers now, and don't really need the insurance, and as I don't fly at a club site, so I don't think the insurance will cover me.

Regarding the AMA's motivation, I certainly wouldn't presume to dispute your characterization because I haven't researched it. Can you provide a reference?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Rob,

I'm puzzled by your implication that the magazine costs $75. The entire membership is $75, and I seem to recall that you could opt out of the magazine for a $9 or $10 reduction. So it seems it is $65 for everything else and $10 for the magazine.

As I recall the insurance was mainly there to make it more palatable for a land owner to allow a club to fly on his property. Depending on where you live this may or may not be much of a benefit. I live in the San Francisco Bay area and open land is at a premium so that perk seems to be valuable to me, well, not me actually, but my friends that still fly the bigger stuff. I just fly little park flyers now, and don't really need the insurance, and as I don't fly at a club site, so I don't think the insurance will cover me.

Regarding the AMA's motivation, I certainly wouldn't presume to dispute your characterization because I haven't researched it. Can you provide a reference?

Thanks.

With regard the magazine cost, if you accept that the insurance is a scam you pay $75 for a member number and a magazine. I assert the insurance is a scam if you read the T's and C's for a claim to be paid. Basically the AMA is not going to pay any significant claim. The exclusions render it useless.

The cost of the magazine without membership is $36 for paper and $60 for digital. So I stand corrected it is not $75 for the magazine but basically if you pay $75 that is all you get.

Getting back to the real issue if there is going to be a registration why would it make sense to pay $75 per year over $5 for three years?

You do have to give credit for the AMA's fund raising efforts though.... I like the membership gift cards they have now at Bestbuy.

Rob

basically the AMA is not going to pay any significant claim.

Yes I agree that it isn't really coverage for the AMA members. I think it is more for the land owner's liability. I think my main coverage as a AMA member will still be my homeowner's and umbrella liability policy.

I don't have a lot of heart burn over the drone registration deal, but it kind of bugged me that they are getting into the model airplane stuff. Seems like there should be an FPV/non-FPV or telemetry/non-telemetry cutoff. But of course that is a whole other subject. But I hope they can do something about the traditional model airplane aspect of this issue.

When it is time to re-up your AMA take a look, I am pretty sure you can get it for $65 without the magazine. Saves you $10!

Thanks for the info.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry