Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

New Florida Drone Law on Governor's Desk for signature

Reaction score
This is the bill on Florida Governor Rick Scott's desk for signature. Lots of room for interpretation but it shouldn't affect us much. If you live in Florida and you have any questions about what you can and can't do, feel free to message me. I've practiced criminal law for 22 years and I'm happy to help out any fellow Inspire pilots.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2015/1178/BillText/Filed/PDF

Hi FlyingFred, im going vacation to Destin, FL in June. I really want to do some aerial photos and videos of the beach. Is there any problem? Thanks

LG G3

The law doesn't take effect until October. Even if it did, my interpretation of it is that you're good to go on 2 fronts. First, the beach itself is public real estate and you'll be fine on that front. Second, the law is pretty vague in the area of private real estate within 25 miles of the United States border (which is permitted). The law does not define what the border is. Under maritime law, the border is the low water mark so I imagine there is going to be some litigation over that in the future to clear it up. As a general rule, if a person being filmed by a drone would have an expectation of privacy (like in an outside shower that wasn't covered by a roof but is covered on all 4 sides surrounding it), you'll have a problem and might also be violating Florida's voyeurism law which is pretty tough and calls for jail. However, if you're just taking pictures and videos of the beach and unique architecture that is open to the public, you'll be fine. I flew my phantom a few weeks ago at Seaside which is only a few miles east of Destin and had no problems. I highly recommend you go over there while you are here. The town itself is really picturesque. It's where the movie "The Truman Show" was filmed. There are also several beaches that are not very populated on the outskirts of Destin such as Grayton Beach and Topsail and you shouldn't have any problems there.

This is the bill on Florida Governor Rick Scott's desk for signature. Lots of room for interpretation but it shouldn't affect us much. If you live in Florida and you have any questions about what you can and can't do, feel free to message me. I've practiced criminal law for 22 years and I'm happy to help out any fellow Inspire pilots.

Thank you, Fred. I may have to take you up on that offer in the not too distant future. Have saved the doc and will read it in greater later this morning.

Scary to think flying the Inspire 1 could put one in the position of needing the counsel of a criminal lawyer. :confused:

Interesting read. Nothing about safety in there, commercial use vs not, limitations of flight parameters, classes of UAV or pilot qualification requirements.

Very focused on privacy, which seems like a good thing in general.

And the fact that it actually DEFINES legal use of a UAV is quite startling and useful in my opinion.

Anyone using a drone for any of those purposes, should this be signed into law in FL should print a copy and keep it with them to help the uninformed if approached.

Overall good stuff IMO.

I am a new Florida Inspire pilot and consulting engineer. I am using the vehicle to video some of our projects. Can you brief me on what it is going to do?

I am a new Florida Inspire pilot and consulting engineer. I am using the vehicle to video some of our projects. Can you brief me on what it is going to do?
If you don't have a 333 to do commercial work then don't worry, you are already breaking the law :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Soflms
Hi FlyingFred, im going vacation to Destin, FL in June. I really want to do some aerial photos and videos of the beach. Is there any problem? Thanks

LG G3
I live just minutes from Seaside, in between Panama City Beach and Destin and haven't ever had any issues flying in the area.

I will say, some of the communities that have security (Seaside, for example), might have an officer that might sat skins thing if you go over the residential areas, regarding privacy. I have first hand experience with this. And while their cited "rules" were unfounded when I contacted their superiors, it's usually best just to get permission if you're flying over sensitive proprietary structures.

However, if you keep it in more publicly accessible areas, you should be fine.

Many of us are flying in the area regularly.

Last edited:

I live in Sarasota FL.Thank you so much for the offer. What about State Parks in Florida? Also Couny or City Parks, in that legal to fly? Thank you very much

LG G3

Hi I fly the inspire 1 in florida. Ft walton area. Can I set up a business on the beach where vacationers can have family pics taken from my drone? Is this allowed? For me to operate and take pics of families that pay me for this, service?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop