Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

New forum section for bad drone press?

Reaction score
It seems like the News section is inundated with links to stories about bad operators who are "going to ruin it for the rest of us". While I see how that can be important, I'm getting sick of seeing it all the time. There's nothing I can do about it.

Can we create a section just for those stories so they don't clog up the other news items everybody wants to see?

I'd agree if the news sections had more activity but the thread towards the end are from several days ago. Apart of the reason why you still see some threads for days without activity. Breaking the news forum up seems like it would make it worse for activity. Also to be fair there are only four out of twenty topics regarding negative news

Why not do both? If the board adopts a culture where members are encouraged to add a good story first, before adding a story about abusing the use of a UAV. Good stories are harder to find as we've been media conditioned to look for, exaggerate and at times even glorify the bad. We can counter that a bit by posting good things...like Search and Rescue activities. Here's one:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/07/23/drone-team-saves-a-life-in-search-and-rescue-effort/

and here....

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/drones-make-perfect-lifeguard-safe-lives-31171225

Can't sensor the news. I understand we don't all like to hear the bad stuff, but news is news. I can't really see splitting the section just to put good vs bad. We try to keep sections to a minimum to avoid cross posts and abuse. I agree it stinks it's all there but just like the comments about DJI and Support, most people report bad so it looks like that's all there is. Just a little to specific for its own subsection.

Can't sensor the news. I understand we don't all like to hear the bad stuff, but news is news. I can't really see splitting the section just to put good vs bad. We try to keep sections to a minimum to avoid cross posts and abuse. I agree it stinks it's all there but just like the comments about DJI and Support, most people report bad so it looks like that's all there is. Just a little to specific for its own subsection.

I can't see where I ever mentioned "sensor the news." Actually, the news is already censored to the negative and political bias. Also, I wasn't thinking two new boards, just the existing one.

Here's where that thought came from. My first commander told all of us junior officers to never bring him a problem without recommendations and trying to find a solution ourselves first. This evolved to include "give me the bad, but I want to hear what is going right also." He did both to make us think and evaluate alternatives. We were able to gain a much greater perspective on things and it took away the mindset of focusing only on the bad. It's also a doctrine that helped me succeed and retire early.

I can't see where I ever mentioned "sensor the news." Actually, the news is already censored to the negative and political bias. Also, I wasn't thinking two new boards, just the existing one.

Here's where that thought came from. My first commander told all of us junior officers to never bring him a problem without recommendations and trying to find a solution ourselves first. This evolved to include "give me the bad, but I want to hear what is going right also." He did both to make us think and evaluate alternatives. We were able to gain a much greater perspective on things and it took away the mindset of focusing only on the bad. It's also a doctrine that helped me succeed and retire early.
I didn't try to insinuate any of your words. It is actually what I said... I was agreeing with you that there is a lot of bad press and it is unfortunate.

Reactions: RichardB
I didn't try to insinuate any of your words. It is actually what I said... I was agreeing with you that there is a lot of bad press and it is unfortunate.

Sorry that I misread and misunderstood your post. You are right, of course, and I couldn't agree more. We are crushed with bad news. And that bad "news" may be only 1 story out of 1000.

Reactions: Mazz
I understand the OP's point. I agree the bad press is spoiling the morning coffee at times.

But.....

I (humbly) think it wouldn't be a good idea to have a section standing out with only bad press. I mean, anybody can lurk on the forum and why would we advertise all that bad stuff in one place for everybody to stumble on?
The news guys are lurking here too, so do the people who are trying to find reasons to harm our passion or even future.
Let's make a section with outstanding positive news.
Let's turn the whole demonisation policy around to our advantage.

Reactions: RichardB
Ignore the "bad news" and one day you'll wish you had stayed up-to-date and informed. It's always good to know what your enemy is up to. That way you have far fewer surprises.

Just sayin'.

http://www.popsci.com/drones-save-children-from-flooding

This week, a 12-year-old and an 18-year-old were stranded on a rock surrounded by rapids after a tubing accident. Thanks to the firefighters of Mechanic Falls, Maine, and a drone, the two were safely rescued. This was no miraculous lift from danger by helicopter, but a small practical assist, well-executed.

The boys, stuck on a rock, only had one life vest between them. Rather than making a solomonic choice, the firefighters wanted to get another life vest to the kids. The drone, a DJI Phantom 3 operated by Fire Chief Frank Roma, isn’t made to carry large payloads. So they had it fly a line to the youths on the rock, and with the 18-year-old holding on to that line, the firefighters sent over another life jacket. The fire department was then able to rescue them safely.

This isn’t the first time fire crews with drones on hand have saved lives. Earlier this year in Texas floods, a volunteer used a drone to find people trapped in stuck cars, and to fly out life vests to a family in a water-bound home. In 2014, a Connecticut fire department volunteer used a quadcopter at a quarry fire, scouting for any danger to a rescue crew.

Reactions: turbodronepilot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa