Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

New Ipads/Samsung Tab S7 - daylight viewing

Reaction score
I'll start off by saying that I had a Crystal Sky to go along with my Cendence. But like everyone elses, mine died (in the middle of shooting a high profile project to boot) and was gonna cost $500 to fix. So I went back to using my trusty Ipad which also has a lot of other uses. A Crystal sky does not, it's heavy and the batteries don't last very long, and DJI's policy of bilking people out of money after selling them an inferior product was the final straw. Ok, rant complete. Love the products, hate the company.

Now there's the new iPad Air and the iPad Pro 11" which supposedly both have brighter screens, but both appear slightly bigger than the standard ipads and would require an adapter. I've learned there's a Samsung Tab S7 which has a daybight screen and I've also heard of a Samsung Tab E which supposedly has a daylight setting and is in the sub $200 category. The TabS7 is comparable to the iPad pro price wise, but I'm not really a fan of Android OS so spending bigger bucks for a device I will only use as a screen is less favorable.

Anyone have experience with any of these screens and how would you rate them against an Ipad pro 9.7" from a few years ago?

Reactions: Phillip DeVore
I have the UltraBright Crystal, on the 3rd use it went black. Urrrg... I sold the normal Crystal that worked like a champ! I had heard several had Ultrabright do the same, so I made a support ticket with DJI. To my surprise, they repaired as a No Charge. I've used it 12 or times since, fan is more aggressive now but works nicely. Incidentally, over the last 2 or so years, I've found a major improvement in DJI new service center & online ticket system. Their ticket system is quick, free shipping & labels, and informative service & return shipping have been great. I recently sent in a X4S that went INOP after FW update and it wasn't centering correctly, expected to pay and they repaired for no charge.... likewise on a few other components. I've had one charged repair on multiple instances and most were a "used" eBay purchase out of warranty.

I don't use the CS much, runs the older Andriod OS and limited app support without Google Play Store (without side loading) that I personally find irritating. Several Android Apps would enhance the CS unit if installable. As you site, it's heavier and to me just not as nice of a screen to use or handle... I do greatly like the battery swap, that's one feature I do like.

I used the 10.5" iPad Pro... probably the best ipad up to current 2018-2020 iPad Pro generations.
I also have the Samsung S6, and have pondered the new S7+... looks great, about the size of the 2018 iPad Pro 11". The Android tablets normally have a narrower screen, but the S7 & S7+ are nice units.
But as you site... it's a pricey unit for limited usage.

I have the 2018 iPad Pro 11" and 12.5" units. I use the 11" as Flight Screen & 12.5" as everything else... including Video Editing in LumaFusion (great product).

Brightness is not as bright as the CS, but I've found by putting a "pencil enhancing" screen cover on them, they actually look better in daylight too. I personally am an Android User, but the 2018 Generation iPad Pros are very nice and the sUAV related apps are well supported. The small bezel of the newer generations without Home Button are a nice shape and fit nicely with the PolorPro tablet extension.

Personally I'd go with 2018 iPad Pro... feels like they handle the temps better and huge improvement on shape.

iPad Extension:

iPad Pro Paper Feel - Pencil Screen cover:

On the USB-C cabe for new iPad Pro, I've found these 90 degree Coiled cables work nice.

Reactions: MBrewington
Thank you for the extensive replay! I dd just put an anti-reflection cover on my 2016 Ipad, haven't had a chance to try it yet in the sun. I did poke around more on the Apple Website and see thet the new Ipad Pro has 600 nits, and the Ipad Air has 500 which is the same as the 2018 model and the one I have. That is 20% better, but I was hoping for more. I imagine the increased size, better processor and added resolution helps. That Ultra Bright CS with it's 2,000 was visible in full sun WITH sunglasses, but that's probably why they died. I did hear that they worked out the problem, and the newer models aren't as unreliable. It just seems like there's no obvious answer. I work with some of the top drone companies in LA and they all seem to use iPads.

BTW, i got an extender off of Amazon for $10, but it isn't padded. I'll probably slap on a piece of rubber/foam for good measure.

Ya, you won't approach the CrystalSky nit rating with any tablet. That is one Plus for the CS.
The regular iPads in the older tub seemed to struggle with heat more than the newer flat sided buttonless models. The new Air I think is designed in the flat side tub... haven't tried it but that could work too.

The anit-reflection cover is great, although I've found the pencil paper feel screen gives a better view. Haven't had it long enough to experience, but they indicate you need to wash it at times. The paper feel is produced by small pores, and they can fill with skin oil changing both feel & reflection.

Another add-on I've found super for bright days, the Hoodman Hoods 2 piece screen cone... slit in bottom to insert hand to make adjustments, tall enough you're not straining to look down at screen & look back up at craft. But it gives a full night time brightness on the bright glaring days, no issues seeing the screen. Plus keeping the hot sun rays off the screen I've noticed improves the iPad's temp. The direct Sun on screen heats it up more than ambient temps. Although, if I have tree shade nearby, I'll use the shade instead of strapping on the Hoodman.

Speaking of heat, I've purchased... zero use since it's Fall cool temps. The X-Naut iPad cooler, looks like a great fan tray... proven by sUAV & Aviation to be effective. Very pricey but beats having the screen shut off due to heat. Similar to the "intent" of the CS and it's thicker housing with internal fans.

The Amazon extension is nice. I've tried several and settled on the PolarPro. Just like the fit, the rubbery texture feel and the black to match the main extension mount (ya, not a good reason).

I'd agree, those using tablets... the iPads rule. Using my phone never has interested me, too small and too loaded with other apps. The iPad is probably the best overall option; Both in available apps, and design. Although, I think the S7+ is the closest to the iPad other than OS. I'd like to purchase one, but can't yet justify the price.

Good Luck on decision!

I agree, the polar pro extender does look a lot nicer. The one I got is just the usual crappy 3D printed version. I just got it as an "in Case" I really wish someone would make a tablet holder with a couple more clicks, I'n not a fan of using things like extenders that can get lost. I think I used the hoodman once, but wasn't a fan, too bulky and cumbersome. I usually just find shade or create my own.

I've only had an iPad shut down one time in my entire career and it was 122º that day in a place called Amboy CA, which is near Death Valley. I'm curious where you live!? LOL.

I've been forced to use my phone on the occasion when I forgot my iPad. I use my iapd to learn songs on piano, so it gets left on the keyboard on occasion. I'll retire my older one to my bag, and will now have a second full sized for production or a camera op, which I had before my CS died.

Thanks again!

I've had the heat issue multiple times! Some while on table but several in flight... just stopped with that over heat icon on screen. It's nice DJI platform (and most sUAV) don't require the tablet to fly... the RC hasn't ever overheated.

I live in Iowa, Summer temps normally 80-100F, but if it's 100F & cloudy it's fine. If it's 88F with bright sun it'll over heat. If it's 95F & Sunny... I've got heat problems after a short time. It's a common problem, many take a small cooler with freeze paks and rotate 2 ipads or place iPad in cooler while prepping for flight. Along that same line, on those bright days, I've even had both a iPhone & Samsung Note phone give the overheat icon too. One day in the middle of nowhere on a Ag project, all phones & ipads overheated till we found shade.

Hmm, I usually work out of the back of my Mazda CX 5 so gear sits in the trunk till it's ready. I live in LA and I am often shooting in the desert, but like I said the only time I had issues was in Amboy. We also shot near Barstow where it was 117º and never had a shut down. Those were Inspire 1 days...

Reactions: AMGPilot
Yep... it can be a problem. Some experience it, some don't... feel fortunate you're not. Just depends on sun intensity, breeze and where the hardware sits between flights. I normally try to throw a towel over phones or tablets when not using. May begin using a cooler w freeze paks when needed for added insurance.

I've never had an issue in AZ, mainly midwest belt.
Ha, maybe it's that dry air... not serious.

Reactions: Serfy
Ya, you won't approach the CrystalSky nit rating with any tablet. That is one Plus for the CS.
The regular iPads in the older tub seemed to struggle with heat more than the newer flat sided buttonless models. The new Air I think is designed in the flat side tub... haven't tried it but that could work too.

The anit-reflection cover is great, although I've found the pencil paper feel screen gives a better view. Haven't had it long enough to experience, but they indicate you need to wash it at times. The paper feel is produced by small pores, and they can fill with skin oil changing both feel & reflection.

Another add-on I've found super for bright days, the Hoodman Hoods 2 piece screen cone... slit in bottom to insert hand to make adjustments, tall enough you're not straining to look down at screen & look back up at craft. But it gives a full night time brightness on the bright glaring days, no issues seeing the screen. Plus keeping the hot sun rays off the screen I've noticed improves the iPad's temp. The direct Sun on screen heats it up more than ambient temps. Although, if I have tree shade nearby, I'll use the shade instead of strapping on the Hoodman.

Speaking of heat, I've purchased... zero use since it's Fall cool temps. The X-Naut iPad cooler, looks like a great fan tray... proven by sUAV & Aviation to be effective. Very pricey but beats having the screen shut off due to heat. Similar to the "intent" of the CS and it's thicker housing with internal fans.

The Amazon extension is nice. I've tried several and settled on the PolarPro. Just like the fit, the rubbery texture feel and the black to match the main extension mount (ya, not a good reason).

I'd agree, those using tablets... the iPads rule. Using my phone never has interested me, too small and too loaded with other apps. The iPad is probably the best overall option; Both in available apps, and design. Although, I think the S7+ is the closest to the iPad other than OS. I'd like to purchase one, but can't yet justify the price.

Good Luck on decision!

I wanted to revisting this thread as I purchased a new Ipad Pro 11" 10 days ago. The 100 extra nits and and the size really are nice...HOWEVER, today on a job it wouldn't connect number of times and as the day wore on it got worse. I finally busted out my older iPad 9.7 and it worked immediately. Any idea what is going on this this pad? Is it the USB C connector? Maybe I should just get the 2018 iPad? I have a few more days before I can return this to apple. Really a disappointment. You think it's just too advanced software wise and DJI will catch up?

Maybe I'll call DJI tomorrow to see if the have any insight...

I wanted to revisting this thread as I purchased a new Ipad Pro 11" 10 days ago. The 100 extra nits and and the size really are nice...HOWEVER, today on a job it wouldn't connect number of times and as the day wore on it got worse. I finally busted out my older iPad 9.7 and it worked immediately. Any idea what is going on this this pad? Is it the USB C connector? Maybe I should just get the 2018 iPad? I have a few more days before I can return this to apple. Really a disappointment. You think it's just too advanced software wise and DJI will catch up?

I wouldn’t think the 11“ 2020 or 2018 would have a connect issue. Also doubt the iOS software since the 10.9” is likely on same version. I use the 11” Pro 2018 without issues.

You’ve ruled out cables? I’ve been surprised how many cables are not quality. Might try a reset & restore.
Not much help for ya, good luck,

Reactions: thanohano44
I wouldn’t think the 11“ 2020 or 2018 would have a connect issue. Also doubt the iOS software since the 10.9” is likely on same version. I use the 11” Pro 2018 without issues.

You’ve ruled out cables? I’ve been surprised how many cables are not quality. Might try a reset & restore.
Not much help for ya, good luck,

Never an issue for me while using my 12.9 2018 and 2020 iPad pros. I’m sure it’s the cables.

Reactions: dougcjohn

Curious if you resolved or determined the connectivity issue? The 2018 & 2020 are near duplicates with minimal difference, all running same iOS. Did it correct with a different USB-C cable?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry