Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

New pilot + why no information update?

Reaction score
Hey pilots!

Just got my inspire 1 today on the mail. Was blown away by the "feel" and look of the machine. I mean, i had seen it before but never live. I was expecting to get it on the air on the first hours with it, but here is a small list of how my day went:

3:00 PM - got my drone on the mail, spent an hour messing around with it and experiencing the whole "unboxing" thing slowly
4:00 PM - batteries were empty, had to charge them (did it remote and than battery because some people said I should never charge them both at the same time)
5:30 PM - tried the app and registered the drone, took a good 10 mins to load after I clicked finish for some reason
6:30 PM - Im at an open space, ready to do my first flight. Batteries are charged, compass as been calibrated, everything looked awesome, but no GPS signal? I though hey, im just going to take off and land several times to learn not gonna do anything crazy.

6:35 PM - a message comes up - "firmware update required" (at home it said it was updated). Camera works, remote and app works, can control the camera through the remote, but the motors arent spinning.

7:20 PM - Im at home to do the update, only to realize I need a micro USB card reader and my old one broke in half (3k+$ they could have thrown in a $5 reader, just sayin)

8:00 PM - Ran to the store to get a $5 card reader, back to home now

9:30 PM - updates are done, but the sun is gone, at this point im happy just to get the motors running inside the house without taking off. I try it and still nothing, I check the video tutorial and see that the app has a "unlock motors" button, but for some reason mine didnt. At this point im running out of reasons for why the motors wouldnt work. Changing modes didnt work but the app was setting automatically to "safe to fly (no gps)" like it did outside.

10:00 PM - I searched through forums until I found a guy saying that for the inspire 1 the app from the play store (android) didnt work, it had to be downloaded from the dji inspire one webpage on the "downloads section". Tried it and it was different - on the forum he told someone with the same problem he had to calibrate the sensors and do that thing where you push the control sticks to the middle to activate the motors, and finally they start spinning!

I have no idea if it was my stupidity or something else. I knew that older versions of dji drones had that way of activating the motors, but from all the videos they only mentioned the "unlock motors" button on the app. It would be nice to have that explained on the "quickstart guide".

Anyway, now I only have to figure out why I cant get any GPS signal. Sometimes I get one but quickly disapears, and im supposed to get at least 7 so im stumped. Any ideias?

Here is a video of the first ever "spinning propellers", I know its stupid but it was exciting for me, sorry about the vertical iphone video lol. I also attached a photo I took the moment I opened the case for the first time, we all love opening new gadgets dont we? :)

Attachments

• 11289607_954035621295716_1085247590_n.jpg
    11289607_954035621295716_1085247590_n.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 16
My entire first day was charging/updating. Next day the rains came. I feel your pain. DJI has a couple videos on their site for the initial set-up. The quickstart guide was a joke. I recommend loading the user manual to your phone/tablet for field reference. On the website DJI states you need at least 6 GPS sat. connections. Are you in a dead zone? like... Bermuda?

My first flight had 17 GPS connections. Not bragging, just wondering what other users experienced.

7:20 PM - Im at home to do the update, only to realize I need a micro USB card reader and my old one broke in half (3k+$ they could have thrown in a $5 reader, just sayin)
You don't need one, you can connect the (supplied) USB cable to the gimbal and use that as card reader.
You seem to have "forgotten" to read the user manual in your haste to get in the air as there's a whole page about it ;)

Anyway, now I only have to figure out why I cant get any GPS signal. Sometimes I get one but quickly disapears, and im supposed to get at least 7 so im stumped. Any ideias?
Only idea I could have is defective GPS/bird.

I'm in Portugal, people fly DJI drones here all the time so I dont really know what it was.
IM still going to test today going outside with the drone after the updates. Maybe the GPS will work then, we will see, if not I have a problem!

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Just did my first flight, all went well!

Loving my Inspire 1! Here is a small clip of my first flight, no color grading or anything. Since it was my first time I only want up 50 meters in the air

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop