Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Newest firmware is horrible :(

Reaction score
I thought i would whine a bit and detail some of the errors I've had with the newest i2 firmware. If you have not upgraded i would highly recommend not doing so. seems like this was rushed out the door and not properly tested....was working rock solid before the update, I think I'm going to roll it back to the previous version

1) i2 would not land after low battery warning - would hover but not come to a landing
2) features of the app intermittently stop working (over exposure warning, grid lines, etc)
3) strong interference warnings
4) intermittent camera sensor error
5) intermittent vision sensor error
6) camera drifting
7) video live feed lag / lost
8) regular app crashes
9) barometer error

I've deleted and reinstalled the app. Restored to factory defaults. Refreshed firmware...... ugh! Not sure if there's anything else i can do but roll back to previous firmware

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGrumpster
You should be able to roll back in Assistant 2.

#1 is probably a result of updating DJI Go 4 - the last few updates have had a tendancy to reset various options, and one of them has been to re-enable various landing protection and near ground warnings. If #1 happens to you, most likely you need to keep holding down the left stick for several seconds (e sec I think) to confirm to the I2 that you want to land and to allow the landing protection system to scan the ground and OK it. I had this happen several times back in Jan-Feb in the early days of flying the I2 and decided that it was safer to disbale all landing protection features so that I was in full control!! When it happens your tendency is to think that the aircraft has a problem and try to move it to see if it responds to the sticks... by moving it you then reset the landing scan so it has to do it again, which leads to further delay and more confusion by the pilot...

I keep partially losing some of the RC connections. The C1 button soon loses the ability to flip the camera down. If I unplug and replug the USB cable to the iPad, it starts working again!

I do not understand why the gimbal refuses to respond as that seems more of a firmware matter in the RC itself, but why the U&R of the USB brings it back is bizarre. Maybe GO 4.1.8, but iOS 11.2 seems to lose the USB connection randomly and GO 4.1.8 remains, but settings go away until I do the U&R and they all come back.

Wish I could get all this stuff back to day one when it all worked, but the **** manufacturers (Apple and DJJI) don't allow for it. It just begins to self disintegrate in time with all these updates of firmware and software.

Fwiw, Assistant 2 showed "None" as the rollback selection in mine. However, I did the GO 3 bizarre method rollback in the P4S to 1.6.0 and then back up to the latest for it and it's still wonky.

I hear you guys and sympathize. Now if only someone at DJI would pay attention to their customers. I honestly don't see how anyone can make money on this platform. It is simply too unreliable.
I finally got my first I2 back from DJI repair (after they had to fix it twice), and I've been trying to fly it with the X5S (I concluded the X7 is not for me, in spite of having dropped $4K on it). I downgraded the bird, but I need to downgrade the controller and the app. Does anyone know how to do this, and to what versions I need to downgrade to get things working like they used to?
My second I2 with the X7 is just so much complete trash as far as I'm concerned. I get so many video breakups (at 50m range) that I can't take pictures of moving subjects. All I want is to step back in time to last summer when everything was working well. Why doesn't DJI get this? And why do the shills at RCG continue their lies about how there is no problem?

Reactions: Casey53
Grumpster, I don't know what the answer is. DJI has the monopoly unless we go to the "Flying washing machine" (Freefly Alta series.) which are about that size too - huge! Still have to Band-Aid together a camera system though for them.

Too bad we cannot get it back to where it was when new, both iOS and the DJI firmware and software. Still DJI needs to fix some of their mechanical issues like crooked sensors and stuff that just does not work even new like Focus Wheel 2. They'd probably have less service needs if their stuff worked right and all updates actually worked as well. They'll probably abandon the I2 series in a year for the I3 and whatever else they do to cripple our current stuff in the move ahead. If the Phantom 5 has interchangeable lenses, I may dump the I2 and downscale rather than drop another $7K on this "Pro Quality" stuff.

Reactions: utcinema
I hear you guys and sympathize. Now if only someone at DJI would pay attention to their customers. I honestly don't see how anyone can make money on this platform. It is simply too unreliable.
I finally got my first I2 back from DJI repair (after they had to fix it twice), and I've been trying to fly it with the X5S (I concluded the X7 is not for me, in spite of having dropped $4K on it). I downgraded the bird, but I need to downgrade the controller and the app. Does anyone know how to do this, and to what versions I need to downgrade to get things working like they used to?
My second I2 with the X7 is just so much complete trash as far as I'm concerned. I get so many video breakups (at 50m range) that I can't take pictures of moving subjects. All I want is to step back in time to last summer when everything was working well. Why doesn't DJI get this? And why do the shills at RCG continue their lies about how there is no problem?

as far as the controller is concerned , if you connect the controller to your device, in dji go you hold down the 3 dash mark icon ( in the upper right corner) for five seconds then it gives you the option to downgrade or refresh the controller firmware.

Reactions: utcinema and NickU
Thanks, Patrick. I'll give that a try. I spent all day Saturday with my I2/X7 and all day Sunday with my I2/X5S. Saturday was a nightmare due to broken-up video downlinks. With my subject (moving trains), timing is critical (and the X7 has a metric ton of lag too), so video breakup in the downlink just ruins everything. Sunday was much better, but I was still getting those moronic "strong RF interference" warnings. Images were vastly sharper with the X5S, which was good. That X7 is just way too soft for me. I'll let you know how it goes after I downgrade my controller and have a chance to take the I2/X5S out once again.

Reactions: Skylux Media
Thanks, Patrick. I'll give that a try. I spent all day Saturday with my I2/X7 and all day Sunday with my I2/X5S. Saturday was a nightmare due to broken-up video downlinks. With my subject (moving trains), timing is critical (and the X7 has a metric ton of lag too), so video breakup in the downlink just ruins everything. Sunday was much better, but I was still getting those moronic "strong RF interference" warnings. Images were vastly sharper with the X5S, which was good. That X7 is just way too soft for me. I'll let you know how it goes after I downgrade my controller and have a chance to take the I2/X5S out once again.

Odd you find the X7 soft. There have been times my X4S seems sharper than my X5S which is odd. I do know the X4S of mine is pretty vibration free where my X5S has some vibration in the gimbal probably due to the electrical hysteresis of the gimbal stepper-motor hunting. I'm thinking if my still images are fixed to some shutter speed, say 1/125 sec., then vibration blur might come into play with the X5S of mine. If the DJI camera had internal vibration stabilization like some still cameras have that it might help, but DJI isn't there yet. I was surprised when I walked around with my little Olympus Pen-F in movie mode that the stabilization of the sensor actually made my walking appear far better than my higher-rez Nikon D800E which was awful doing the same thing and both are only 1080P in movie mode.

Given the X7 is bigger with longer but light-weight lenses, I wonder if any prop wash is playing against it whereas a smaller camera doesn't? If it is getting slapped around by wind, it might not be a good thing for image sharpness. If they come out with some new X8 with internal sensor stabilization, it might help. They left that out of the current lenses that some u43 lenses have, unless they change that too. Have to wait and see what they do next, and I fear they will abandon the current design to put the camera back into the gimbal so it will again offer a hand-held Osmo or be a independent camera rather than all tied together as it is now.

The new I2 firmware is now available specifically for the X7 and fixed the X4S DNG issue.

518bf71e10e37ad12f699fa97a4ef623.jpg

Odd you find the X7 soft. There have been times my X4S seems sharper than my X5S which is odd. I do know the X4S of mine is pretty vibration free where my X5S has some vibration in the gimbal probably due to the electrical hysteresis of the gimbal stepper-motor hunting. I'm thinking if my still images are fixed to some shutter speed, say 1/125 sec., then vibration blur might come into play with the X5S of mine. If the DJI camera had internal vibration stabilization like some still cameras have that it might help, but DJI isn't there yet. I was surprised when I walked around with my little Olympus Pen-F in movie mode that the stabilization of the sensor actually made my walking appear far better than my higher-rez Nikon D800E which was awful doing the same thing and both are only 1080P in movie mode.

Given the X7 is bigger with longer but light-weight lenses, I wonder if any prop wash is playing against it whereas a smaller camera doesn't? If it is getting slapped around by wind, it might not be a good thing for image sharpness. If they come out with some new X8 with internal sensor stabilization, it might help. They left that out of the current lenses that some u43 lenses have, unless they change that too. Have to wait and see what they do next, and I fear they will abandon the current design to put the camera back into the gimbal so it will again offer a hand-held Osmo or be a independent camera rather than all tied together as it is now.
I think the x8 will be in the same gimbal.. there is enough space in the new x7 for a full frame sensor and you can almost see the shape of it if you look inside around the existing aps c sensor.
It might not actually be that far off.

I think the x8 will be in the same gimbal.. there is enough space in the new x7 for a full frame sensor and you can almost see the shape of it if you look inside around the existing aps c sensor.
It might not actually be that far off.
For full frame sensor the lense should be much longer to cover the sensor. This is just physic of light and focal point distance. I'm not sure if I2 will handle bigger gimbal with longer lenses.

For full frame sensor the lense should be much longer to cover the sensor. This is just physic of light and focal point distance. I'm not sure if I2 will handle bigger gimbal with longer lenses.

DJI stated that all of the new lenses minus one, trying to remember which, are compatible with a full frame sensor. I agree with @skyrisaerialphotography, i suspect there will be a full frame version soon, but who knows if it will be compatible with the i2.

Patrick P is correct the 24, 35 and 50 are full frame ready, you can also see on the z7 that the space for full frame sensor the lens mount fits snug around it. 16mm is only for the super 35

I thought i would whine a bit and detail some of the errors I've had with the newest i2 firmware. If you have not upgraded i would highly recommend not doing so. seems like this was rushed out the door and not properly tested....was working rock solid before the update, I think I'm going to roll it back to the previous version

1) i2 would not land after low battery warning - would hover but not come to a landing
2) features of the app intermittently stop working (over exposure warning, grid lines, etc)
6) camera drifting
8) regular app crashes
9) barometer error

I've deleted and reinstalled the app. Restored to factory defaults. Refreshed firmware...... ugh! Not sure if there's anything else i can do but roll back to previous firmware
You can download previous firmware on DJI GO 4 by holding down the 3 dashes up in the right hand upper corner of the initial screen when you open it up. After you hold it down it’ll allow you to choose which version of firmware that you want to reninstall to the a/c. I’m just not sure which version is the better one for me at this point.
Does anyone have any suggestions on which version of firmware is the best one? If you can give me and others a recommendation for the best version I would appreciate it.
It’s hard to trust DJI whenever they put out new stuff because you never know what you’re going to get from them until you have your bird up in the air and that’s not a good place to find out if you have made the right choice or not.
I recently purchased the Crystal Sky monitor and I’m having a lot of trouble learning how to do a lot of stuff with it and just as with everything else from DJI there’s no user manual or any other information about it. And asking CService is a joke as usual. I have watched anything that I can off YouTube but so far it’s been me just learning on the fly () how to get it incorporated into my flying. I really hope they come out with new updates for it also. I really like the brightness of the screen and the app on it works flawlessly so far. Editing function is a little sketchy and I haven’t figured it out totally yet but I’ll get it figured out pretty soon. If anyone has information about that and the firmware update issue please let me know as I am always interested in learning about how to improve my flying skills. Hope someone has input on these things and posts an answer for all of us to see.
Phil

6) camera drifting
8) regular app crashes
9) barometer error

You can include - cpu compromised warning, to all the other warnings - which I've never had before. This is the worst firmware update i have experienced in my life - turned my good working Inspire2 (with X5S) into a piece of wobbly crap that ruined my last 2 commercial shoots. I only did the firmware update because my machine was alarming and i couldn't work out why? I'm rolling back the firmware today, alarm or no alarm. A few years ago, I changed my ground level cam from sony to panasonic (now have GH5) because i had problems with the last 2 sony cams i purchased. If DJI doesn't get their firmware updates sorted soon, this will be the last DJI product i will purchase. I am a certified CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority of Australia) drone pilot and operator - and have a duty of care to use equipment that is safe - DJI also have a duty of care to release firmware updates that are safe and reliable - in my opinion the current firmware update makes the Inspire2 almost useless and unsafe.

Last edited:
Well, things finally got SO bad for me that I had to resort to hacking, which I know it not permissible to discuss here. But the thing is, the latest (prior to this week) firmware and Go app rendered the I2 totally unusable as a workable platform for me to do absolutely constant and nonstop "strong RF interference" warnings couple with non-stop video breakups and stuttering. Just totally unacceptable. So away I went down the rabbit hole. Happy to say, after a lot of nervousness, I got things back to where they just work once again (and proved this by shooting all day today without a single warning or breakup, so I know full well all this nonsense is just crappy software and yet more lies and excuses from who else). Sadly, you can't get there without hacking. The Go app is what causes a great deal of the problem, and it's no easy task to roll that **** thing back to a usable version.

Reactions: 2B-Inspired
You can include - cpu compromised warning, to all the other warnings - which I've never had before. This is the worst firmware update i have experienced in my life - turned my good working Inspire2 (with X5S) into a piece of wobbly crap that ruined my last 2 commercial shoots. I only did the firmware update because my machine was alarming and i couldn't work out why? I'm rolling back the firmware today, alarm or no alarm. A few years ago, I changed my ground level cam from sony to panasonic (now have GH5) because i had problems with the last 2 sony cams i purchased. If DJI doesn't get their firmware updates sorted soon, this will be the last DJI product i will purchase. I am a certified CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority of Australia) drone pilot and operator - and have a duty of care to use equipment that is safe - DJI also have a duty of care to release firmware updates that are safe and reliable - in my opinion the current firmware update makes the Inspire2 almost useless and unsafe.

Sounds like you're having fun too! ;)

I had a shoot some time ago where the director wanted the thing tethered for safety beyond a line of actors. Can't say I blame him as I really do not trust mine to work right either. Luckily, it was too noisy and the audio guys hated it so they went back to the quiet and reliable crane (whew!). DJI really needs to produce reliable gear that works and isn't full of bugs, both hardware, software, and poor quality control. It's like they never test anything, especially software/firmware, and just push it out the door and sell it. Gives new meaning to "Expensive Chinese made junk." Glad they do not sell DJI made cars here.

Reactions: 2B-Inspired
Sigh...

Question: How to proceed? My apps are crashing like crazy. iPad Pro Dji go 4.

My bird says it’s on 01.01.0200 in the Dji go4 app. The assistant app on the pc says I need to upgrade to 1.01.0200. Then it says to upgrade to the latest version 01.01.0300.

I have the X5S & X7. Do I upgrade from the assistant to the .0200 with X5S on or the X7 or none? What about for .0300? The release notes say to have the X7 on but the prompt on the Dji go 4 says to not update with X7 on. At what point does X7 go on for update?

Thoughts?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool