Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Next Level of Automated Tracking for Drones

Reaction score
We have seen some neat tech that allows a Drone to follow a subject or track around a static object. The company Perceptive appears to be taking it to the next level with some exciting expanded capabilities ideal for filming subjects on the move and more. They seem to be among the first to "productize" their tech beyond the lab. Although not stated, I expect that the Inspire 1 will be added to the Drones supported as it is the obvious choice for these types of applications and they can easily build off the work they have done for the Phantom. Check out the videos in the article.

See the link:
Perceptiv’s SHIFT Turns Drones Into Smart Dollies For Filmmakers | TechCrunch

http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/24/perceptiv-shift/#tmhmdj:qwt

Very cool and definitely a super useful application for flown footage. I thought DJI was slated to add "follow me" functionality to the Inspire through mobile device tracking. Either way, thanks for the link, very interesting development

the only thing that I question is how it will perform in more closed environments

will whatever sensors it has be able to detect tree branches and such and maneuver out of the way?

regardless, definitely a cool step forward

As the technology gets better this will be pretty awesome. I think the next step is definitely the proximity sensors to keep it from hitting things. I think we will get a boom in tech now. It is the age of the UAV. :)

I contacted them about the availability for the Inspire. They said it would not work on the Inspire 1 because it is a "VERY closed platform, so it is not that easy to add a computer like ours to it." :(

Hopefully, DJI will come up with something comparable.

I contacted them about the availability for the Inspire. They said it would not work on the Inspire 1 because it is a "VERY closed platform, so it is not that easy to add a computer like ours to it." :(

Hopefully, DJI will come up with something comparable.

DJI released a SDK for inpire did they not? I havent seen apps for the Phantom? how is it not closed?

Reactions: skyfisher
I'll wait to see how it performs in real life. Looks to me like everything in the video at this point is "simulated" i.e. filmed with normal manual control and stuff superimposed to "look like what it's going to be".

And yes an SDK is supposed to come out for the I1, and they would very likely be able to link with it.

For an $800 add on - they are going to have to figure out how to integrate with higher end units that are much more likely to have a need for the advance capabilities ie. like the I1 and above. The Phantom 2 is okay, but I doubt a lot of Phantom Pilots would be willing to invest another $800 into a $1000ish drone. Hoping the SDK can be a solution for these types of add ons.

As a side: I think the ability to track multiple targets and keep them in frame would be a boon to college sports like Football (or even high school) practice or any outdoor field sport as they routinely record their scrimmages for review.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips