Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Nvidia Shield

OH MY GOD.
As an NVIDIA shield owner, I will tell you right now that I am selling my COMPLETELY UNUSED second i1 controller and buying one of the shield controllers for $59. My camera operator (who I've never found or flown with) can simply look at my tablet as I fly.
THANK YOU.

Reactions: sirnikolas
How on earth does that work, where do I buy one and how much?
The NVIDIA Shield, with it's ****-hot graphics processor (the A-15) is touted as a great gaming tablet. Because of that, they sell a game controller as an accessory. I hadn't considered it, as I'm not a gamer, and bought the Shield only for my i1. Now, I am seeing it differently. I'm ordering one of these ASAP. If I like how it feels, I WILL be selling my unused 2nd i1 controller. Here's the link on New Egg. $50. Sheeeeit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834762005

I like having a second, fully charged TX in my case with a few other spares, odds and ends. Hate shooting and "needing" something urgently. Nice option though and the cam op can still plug an HDMI monitor off the master remote. Pilot can immediately switch to FPV mode via the secondary buttons.

Thinking about this... with the money you save over the second TX, you could buy the DSLR pros fixed FPV camera set-up at nearly no cost and have the best of both worlds. Interesting and a nice clean mod. Assume the P3 will be able to do the same?

Thanks for sharing

Nice find!
I never thought to connect the dots!

The Fry's in Austin now has 4 controllers left in stock. :)

After i discovered this on the german facebook page i imediately sold my ipad mini 2 and ordered a shield. On monday i can give you precise infos how it works!

Reactions: jon b
As awesome as this little nugget is and I had to admit I was all ready to order one of these controllers off Amazon for my Nvidia Shield, I then had a look at the specs and how the thing communicates.
It uses low latency WiFi. Yes.... WiFi !!!!!!.
Personally I do not want a WiFi link and handshake going on within inches of my Inspire TX.
This is the very reason I put my tablet and my phone in my pocket into airplane mode before I fly.

Just a heads up for people thinking of going this route.

Reactions: jon b
As awesome as this little nugget is and I had to admit I was all ready to order one of these controllers off Amazon for my Nvidia Shield, I then had a look at the specs and how the thing communicates.
Personally I do not want a WiFi link and handshake going on within inches of my Inspire TX.
This is the very reason I put my tablet and my phone in my pocket into airplane mode before I fly.

At the risk of highjacking the thread..... @Editor. I put my iStuff in airplane mode also. But I only do it because I have heard other people recommend it. Can you explain why this is a good idea? Thanks

Really good point. Hmmm..I don't want WIFI on for the same reasons.

I've flown with wifi on many times with my Air 2 and even flew **** loads with my Note 3 with everything on! I never experienced not one issue. Ever.

At the risk of highjacking the thread..... @Editor. I put my iStuff in airplane mode also. But I only do it because I have heard other people recommend it. Can you explain why this is a good idea? Thanks
In THEORY using a 2.4 GHz digital control link as the Inspire does (and nearly all other modern model radio systems) should make it fairly immune to outside interference. Because it is a digital 'packet' transmission system, as each packet is transmitted it will have a unique identifier code attached to it. This means that the receiver will ignore anything that doesn't have the identifier and only respond to the unique code coming from the transmitter......IN THEORY.
Unfortunately, rf propagation can be a bit of a funny animal and as (in our case) the Inspire gets further away from the pilot the received signal will get weaker and weaker....kind of like someone talking to you and then walking backwards into a crowd of people all talking. You will still hear what they are saying but their voice will get weaker/quieter and start to disappear into the general 'chatter'. Now imagine you are just on the threshold of being able to hear them clearly and then someone comes right up to you and starts talking loudly in your ear. Your hearing would be swamped by the person yelling in your ear and you would lose the flow of conversation from your distant friend in the crowd.

Same thing with rf. A receiver can get swamped out by localised rf transmissions (especially on the same frequency or harmonic of that frequency) causing loss of signal at ranges far less than expected.

With the Inspire, if you have WiFi turned on you have an rf transmitter (your tablet) on 2.4ghz very close (inches) away from a 2.4ghz transmitter (and receiver) on your Inspire. At this very close proximity harmonics can play a role as well causing the front end of receivers to shut down and desensitising due to a strong localised signal.

Although manufactures work very hard to make their equipment as robust and immune as possible to extraneous rf, nothing is totally immune and there is always a risk of loss of control link caused by this swamping phenomenon.

In 999 flights, you may be OK but in the right conditions on the 1,000 flight it is possible you loose control of your craft due to this. Personally, I would rather not take the risk. I am of the opinion that anything I can do to minimise any risk (however small) can only be a good thing. I do not need WiFi or cell phone connection etc when flying so I take that 'risk' out of the equation by switching to airplane mode.

Sorry for long post, but hope that helps. :)

Reactions: Lucan
ok so the question is... what is the smallest hand held joystick device that will snyc up with the inspire so you can just velcrow it to the master transmitter lol go to gamestop and frys and buy one of everything and return it if it doesn't work lol

So I saw the video and don't have the official shield controller but i do own a Moga Pro Power controller witch is bluetooth and it works perfectly the same way. No wifi and all the same functions. I am soon glad i didn't buy a second remote!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/POWER-MOGA-Pro-Electronic-Games-Game/dp/B00FB5RBJM/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1428869708&sr=1-1&keywords=moga power pro
Unfortunately Bluetooth utilises 2.4ghz as well...... :(

It is a cool feature though and saves the $$$ on a second controller (assuming v1.0.9.3 of the android app doesn't disable it).

I don't see how they could disable it. It's global within the shields os. It's simply using the controller "Input as touch". It's in the control panel in the shield tablet. They would have to completely remove the camera touch panning front the dji app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207