Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

One motor spinning more than the rest

Reaction score
I put together my new inspire 1 today. I thought that I would turn it on an go for a small hover in the lounge room. I have to say the the indoor positioning system is pretty crap, the higher I got which was at most 60cm the more unstable it became. Anyway to cut a long story short it hovered to the left a bit so i bought it down however it decided to land near my suitcase, it did not crash per-se however the front right hand prop scrapped the top of my suitcase.

Now for some reason the motor that this prop was attached to always spins a little more when stopping, it actually does two more spins than normal. DJI support seem to think that there is nothing wrong with my drone however I find it strange that this only started happening after this small incident.

Here is a small video, note the propeller on the front left (bottom left in the video) and see how it does at least 2-3 extra spins now.

Last edited:
I just noticed that there is a very small amount of lateral movement in the motor that seems to be spinning more. It is so small it is hard to tell, but it is likely this it is causing it to spin more than the rest of the motors.

I just flew it again indoors on carpet (not think carpet) and its not very good at all. It keeps moving to the left or backwards and cant hover in position consistently. Im not going to risk flying inside again as I will probably just crash it.

Yes of course. The IMU did not not need calibration and the compass was calibrated, in fact the new firmware forces you to do this.

I have to say its more stable inside than the Phantom 2 v+ but still terrible even at 1m off the ground.

The surface should have been perfect as the Carpet is thin with patterns. I tried it on tiles also and the same thing happened, in fact it flew better on carpet. Im not flying indoors again, its too risky given the cost of the bird.

Dji keep saying that there is nothing wrong but i know there is an issue. How can one motor have more horizontal / later movement than the rest and spin more. There is an issue for sure.

Yes of course. The IMU did not not need calibration and the compass was calibrated, in fact the new firmware forces you to do this.

I have to say its more stable inside than the Phantom 2 v+ but still terrible even at 1m off the ground.

The surface should have been perfect as the Carpet is thin with patterns. I tried it on tiles also and the same thing happened, in fact it flew better on carpet. Im not flying indoors again, its too risky given the cost of the bird.
You did not say you had updated your firmware in your post but you have confirmed that you have.
What are your mod values from your IMU at rest ?
And your compass mod value is?

Dji keep saying that there is nothing wrong but i know there is an issue. How can one motor have more horizontal / later movement than the rest and spin more. There is an issue for sure.

I have two Inspires. One of mine does exactly what your video is showing. Same motor too. It still works perfectly. I don't think it's an issue.

I have a lot of quads and helis and as motors get used (sometimes even after just a few uses) they get that bound up feeling almost like it clicks. I have motors that will barely spin when I use my hands but have no issues under power. I would test it outside under normal conditions.

Honestly guys i know this is not an IMU or compass issue. What happened here is that when i had the small incident pressure was applied the the underside of the props whilst the motor was trying to rotate, this would have of course caused more wear on the bearing resulting in lateral movement in the motor as well as less resistance (hence the extra few spins).

Honestly guys i know this is not an IMU or compass issue. What happened here is that when i had the small incident pressure was applied the the underside of the props whilst the motor was trying to rotate, this would have of course caused more wear on the bearing resulting in lateral movement in the motor as well as less resistance (hence the extra few spins).
How do you KNOW it is not IMU related?
What were/are your mod values at rest?
Is this particular motor running any warmer than the others?

Do you have any problems when you fly outside..?

If not, fly and be happy.

If you have a problem, submit and let DJI replace the motor.
Simple as that ..

If the issue were IMU or compass related why then would this problem only have emerged after the incident. Im 100% sure its a bearing issue and yes this motor runs slightly hotter.

Getting DJI to acknowledge the problem is prooving to be difficult.

W
If the issue were IMU or compass related why then would this problem only have emerged after the incident. Im 100% sure its a bearing issue and yes this motor runs slightly hotter.

Getting DJI to acknowledge the problem is prooving to be difficult.
Need to see video of the craft flying tomsee howmit behaves.
You say in your original post that the inspire didn't (in your opinion) perform correctly from day 1/first flight after 'putting it together'
This 'erratic behaviour' could not be attributable to you crashing into your case since it hadn't happened at that stage.
Are you able to say what your mod values were before your first flight?????

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool