Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

OVERHEAT WARNING Crystal Sky High Brightnses 7.8"

Reaction score
I recentntly bought a Cendence Controller and CS for my cameraman and we had done some in-door testing just to play with settings etc. I notices a few bugs which I have reported in a separate thread.

Today however, we took it to a local flying club to do some real outdoor testing. We are based in Dubai and it was 33 C / 91 F this morning and we were NOT in direct sunlight. We got an overheat working on the Crystal Sky after 5 mins of use or less. This is the 7.85 " 'high' brightness version - not ultra bright.

Running DJI GO 4 app version 4.2.8

Anyone when else getting experiencing this? I feel like sending everything back and asking for a refund as the advertised working conditions are 40 degrees C:

"It is able to operate in as low as -4°F (-20°C) and, with its internal cooling system, functions normally in temperatures as high as 104°F (40°C)"

I keep hearing stuff like this. Worrysome... I have an Ultra but I live where we have been in winter. Never tried running it in the heat.

I recentntly bought a Cendence Controller and CS for my cameraman and we had done some in-door testing just to play with settings etc. I notices a few bugs which I have reported in a separate thread.

Today however, we took it to a local flying club to do some real outdoor testing. We are based in Dubai and it was 33 C / 91 F this morning and we were NOT in direct sunlight. We got an overheat working on the Crystal Sky after 5 mins of use or less. This is the 7.85 " 'high' brightness version - not ultra bright.

Running DJI GO 4 app version 4.2.8

Anyone when else getting experiencing this? I feel like sending everything back and asking for a refund as the advertised working conditions are 40 degrees C:

"It is able to operate in as low as -4°F (-20°C) and, with its internal cooling system, functions normally in temperatures as high as 104°F (40°C)"
Yes...we are in Dallas Tx and are getting overheating warnings after short flights. We will cool it in the air conditioning until it's cool to the touch and will get only a few minutes before another warning.

We’re flying in Southern Illinois and having temps of 90-95 with humidity in the 70-75% range and in direct scorching sunlight. We haven’t had an overheating warning since the last upgrade. Prior to that we were seeing seeing what you described above. As a side note, prior to the update, we noticed that while the 5.5 HB CS fan started up almost immediately, the 7.85 HB CS almost never engaged. Since the upgrade, the 7.85 fan now engages about 5-7 minutes into the flight. Check to see if the fan is engaged on the overheating CS. If not I’d recommend either upgrading or reinstalling the upgrade.
Worse case scenario may be a fan malfunction.

We’re flying in Southern Illinois and having temps of 90-95 with humidity in the 70-75% range and in direct scorching sunlight. We haven’t had an overheating warning since the last upgrade. Prior to that we were seeing seeing what you described above. As a side note, prior to the update, we noticed that while the 5.5 HB CS fan started up almost immediately, the 7.85 HB CS almost never engaged. Since the upgrade, the 7.85 fan now engages about 5-7 minutes into the flight. Check to see if the fan is engaged on the overheating CS. If not I’d recommend either upgrading or reinstalling the upgrade.
Worse case scenario may be a fan malfunction.

One additional suggestion - try setting brightness level to the lightest setting that you can easily see. This will help extend battery life and generate less internal heat.

The crystal sky is like a 700hp muscle car, you don't put your foot into it all the time and run all 700hp just backing out the driveway.

Reactions: Jeff48
It is middle summer where I fly and the mid-day temperatures reach into the low 90s F. Sometimes, but not every time, my ultra 7.85 will give a overheating warning. I usually keep flying, but try to stand in the shade of a tree or use my body to shade the CS from direct sun. My first 7.85 CS ultra overheated while in a case and lost its ability to give me a screen I could see. That CS was returned to DJI and they eventually replaced it. I think that the newer models are more resistant to heat damage.

Well thanks for the feedback thrill seekers. I've been putting off the most recent updates (had a friend who's I2 got bricked in the process). But looks like I know what I"m doing this weekend. Update and test before nxt week's shoot....

If You’re worried about upgrading the I2, just upgrade the CS firmware and Go4 app ( they upgrade at the same thing me on the CS). That is where the supposed overheating fix is.

Well...I"m planing on updating all items. Seems you just never know which update on which hardware will require an update on another piece of hardware. But I'll start there....brilliant.

Flew today and had same issue in minutes. Put a hoodman on and it slowed but did not stop the process.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool