Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Pilot Error Crash (Inspire 2)

Quick update
The drone is done and looks like new. They had to replace one extra part from the estimate so the total came in at $800 cad with the camera costs.

The extra part was the bottom plate with the downward sensor. I managed to get a small rock into the sensor and misigned it so despite a nearly not noticeable damage to the tiny glass the sensor didn’t work proper and added the extra 200 cost for Original.

I have yet to fly it but will on Thursday. They said they teat flew it and it worked perfect.

UPS did loose my camera however so dealing with that now and hoping for a positive outcome.

I will point out that the local DJI said he heard that the x4s might not be sold going forward. So that could make this interesting.

Here is a few pictures of the parts they replaced if you wanted to see them.

7b2ab019818ee36663a34a77426e42cf.jpg
c19891c139920a8650d3a970db22baf1.jpg
6a10ecdc77d4c3059a720e30618cfa77.jpg
9348f1466f183cdd8451a37368c4105f.jpg
17a2f2fdbc98b3eda598e744ae1ee051.jpg

Ouch! I've had my own crash recently with my I2.

I was out giving it a test flight after a firmware patch. I got some interference and it switched to ATTI mode on me suddenly, then got hit by a gust a wind at that exact moment which caused it to suddenly drift to the left and smack into a utility pole. Then I freaked out and went left instead of right, the props ground against the pole, and the whole thing came slamming down 20 feet on it's back where it did it's best job at trying to burrow into the ground until I was able to shut it off.

A month later and 400 dollars spent, I got the bird back up in the air and fully functional. But, I did learn quite a lot about how it's put together, what sort of things are in it and how not to break the connectors (I broke the forward vision system messing around and slipped with a small screwdriver.).

Still, when it happened, I thought I was gonna die. I feel your pain.

Reactions: Drone_Video
Ouch! I've had my own crash recently with my I2.

I was out giving it a test flight after a firmware patch. I got some interference and it switched to ATTI mode on me suddenly, then got hit by a gust a wind at that exact moment which caused it to suddenly drift to the left and smack into a utility pole. Then I freaked out and went left instead of right, the props ground against the pole, and the whole thing came slamming down 20 feet on it's back where it did it's best job at trying to burrow into the ground until I was able to shut it off.

A month later and 400 dollars spent, I got the bird back up in the air and fully functional. But, I did learn quite a lot about how it's put together, what sort of things are in it and how not to break the connectors (I broke the forward vision system messing around and slipped with a small screwdriver.).

Still, when it happened, I thought I was gonna die. I feel your pain.

Sorry to heard you also had a crash. It’s good you were able to fix your own that saved you a good deal of cash! My repairs I think were less broken parts than yours but considerable more money due to the labour.

I will say I felt a little like that Disney character “crash pad” from duck tales... glad my drone is back in the air too!

I got the inspire 2 up in the air on Thursday without the camera and she flew perfect. It held position solid and behaviour in the air was smooth

I did that latest firmware update .200 I think it was the day I crashed it but was so focused on the camera drift I didn’t notice how nice it flew in the 10 min before I used it to drill for oil!

Sry smooth flight and oddly no landing gear warnings like before...

Waiting on the camera still (while other thread talking about that mess). But with any luck I will have that before the end of next week.

Happy to be close to the end of this. The local shop did a really nice job putting it back together and it literally looks like a new aircraft!

Reactions: slim.slamma
I got the inspire 2 up in the air on Thursday without the camera and she flew perfect. It held position solid and behaviour in the air was smooth

I did that latest firmware update .200 I think it was the day I crashed it but was so focused on the camera drift I didn’t notice how nice it flew in the 10 min before I used it to drill for oil!

Sry smooth flight and oddly no landing gear warnings like before...

Waiting on the camera still (while other thread talking about that mess). But with any luck I will have that before the end of next week.

Happy to be close to the end of this. The local shop did a really nice job putting it back together and it literally looks like a new aircraft!

I was getting landing gear errors, mostly it saying it's going up and down when it's not. Usually when I was flying in sport mode. I gave it a teardown and wiggled some connections in the brain and it seemed to calm down. I have to get a new center gear thingy anyways since I snapped the plug for it the first time I seperated the legs from the body without checking. It still works, it's just got a dodgy plug.

Good that you're going though! It's always relieving to see your bird in the air. I was really critical of it for a few flights, had to make some adjustments to the propeller planes so they lined up, and it flew fine after that. Even at high speeds. I guess the point is, you have to kinda fiddle with it to get it back to 100%.

Reactions: Drone_Video
I guess I spoke to soon about DJI repair quality.

Just had a chance to test the camera today and it has some sort of dead pixel area / blotch in the middle of frame. It’s not a totally dead area just looks like th r pixels are shifted. And only happens on whiter images.

Also the camera has a blur on the right hand side and a white haze to it. Very similar to how my very first camera was from DJI.

Very disappointed with this camera. Don’t think they did any quality control on this.

Sounds like no QC was done before they shipped it back. Hope you get it worked out quickly and get back up in the air.

I came VERY close to crashing my I2 on a mountain last weekend by doing nearly the same thing you did. I felt stupid that I could make a mistake like that even after years of flying. Luckily I had enough altitude to realize what was going on and recover.

Sounds like no QC was done before they shipped it back. Hope you get it worked out quickly and get back up in the air.

I came VERY close to crashing my I2 on a mountain last weekend by doing nearly the same thing you did. I felt stupid that I could make a mistake like that even after years of flying. Luckily I had enough altitude to realize what was going on and recover.

Yeah. They for sure didn’t check it. It stuck out like a soar thumb when I saw my footage. Ruined an entire day of video for me. It’s a hobby of mine so not lost revenue or angry customer but I had to spend 250 bucks in gas and wear on the car so it had some cost to me

The local DJI store is telling me they can’t even order a x4s anymore. DJI stopped taking orders on them. I put in an order for an x5s and they are going to take my x4s on trade when it comes back from DJI fixed with 100 percent retail value credit. So I hope the x5s is worth it.

Your lucky you had some height. I only had 20 or so meters and even with cat like reflexes I was doomed.

Found another issue one of the fans inside is damaged so they have to take apart the inspire and replace that now also.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joe123