Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Pilot license to drone

Reaction score
Anyone else concerned about FAA proposed laws to require pilot license for flying drones?

Anyone have some clarification on this?

Anyone else concerned about FAA proposed laws to require pilot license for flying drones?

Anyone have some clarification on this?
They are supposed to come out with regulations in September of 2015 I believe. .
there has been talk about needing a pilots license but let's wait and see..
No need to worry about things we don't know are even going to happen. .
So have fun and fly safe..

If you want a 333 exception to fly commercially then yes you need a private pilots license and about $30k for an attorney to file the paperwork for you. Or you can wait like the rest of us until they come out with the real regulations, expected some time in 2017. After the election.

If you want a 333 exception to fly commercially then yes you need a private pilots license and about $30k for an attorney to file the paperwork for you. Or you can wait like the rest of us until they come out with the real regulations, expected some time in 2017. After the election.

WOW, I thought we had it tough here in the UK. Best of luck to you US fliers.

You already need PPL theory in France for S3 / commercial drone flying... (I think)
They're just trying to squash the issue into already existing legislation - what they think is the most compatible, I guess.
There needs to be a completely new system.

Looks like its just for commercial drone use yes? So if I just like being a hobbyist for youtube purposes, I don't need one yes? I really want to get an inspire, but the stigma surrounding drones is really bothering me.

Did you guys hear they had to post signs around the super bowl to remind idiots not to fly their drones into the game? They shouldn't have to do that.

Disney is also having issues with idiots flying their drones over their land, spying on new rides.

If the idiots among us keep doing stupid stunts with their craft, expect things (regulations) to get worse...fact of life...

I have spoken with a local FAA person (Head of the UAV decision in Atlanta, Ga.) and he specifically told me I needed a recreational or sporting license which is indeed a pilots license. I have received a blanket COA which allows me to fly at or below 200 ft. Guess I'm gonna save up and take the course. Asked a local flight school about overall cost and it starts at 10k!! Bummer!

I know this post is old but figured it might help someone as I have been searching for people's experiences regarding pilots license and this is the only one I've seen really.

I have spoken with a local FAA person (Head of the UAV decision in Atlanta, Ga.) and he specifically told me I needed a recreational or sporting license which is indeed a pilots license. I have received a blanket COA which allows me to fly at or below 200 ft. Guess I'm gonna save up and take the course. Asked a local flight school about overall cost and it starts at 10k!! Bummer!

I know this post is old but figured it might help someone as I have been searching for people's experiences regarding pilots license and this is the only one I've seen really.
For what purpose? Are you trying to operate commercially? My understanding was the blanket COA as you described applies to those with FAA 333 exemptions. Hobbyists do not need a pilots license and can fly above 200' (but below 400'). If this FAA guy is telling you that a license is required to fly recreationally, then that's concerning.

Did you guys hear they had to post signs around the super bowl to remind idiots not to fly their drones into the game? They shouldn't have to do that.

Disney is also having issues with idiots flying their drones over their land, spying on new rides.

Both of these activities are illegal currently. Most people aren't even aware there are laws on the books about what you can and can't do with drones. We really need better education and enforcement...Ignorantia juris non excusat

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
For what purpose? Are you trying to operate commercially? My understanding was the blanket COA as you described applies to those with FAA 333 exemptions. Hobbyists do not need a pilots license and can fly above 200' (but below 400'). If this FAA guy is telling you that a license is required to fly recreationally, then that's concerning.

Yes I'm trying to operate commercially. Sorry if I missed a post that was referring to

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Hobbyist do not need a pilots license. For what ever reason, he called it "recreational & sporting license" which apparently r different but either will work for commercial flying. If ur a hobbyist, then either of the two r not needed.

Yes I'm trying to operate commercially. Sorry if I missed a post that was referring to
Sorry for the misunderstanding. Hobbyist do not need a pilots license. For what ever reason, he called it "recreational & sporting license" which apparently r different but either will work for commercial flying. If ur a hobbyist, then either of the two r not needed.
All good. I'm still not clear on your current status though. You said you received a blanket COA, but after double checking the FAA literature, the blanket COA only applies to entities who have received a 333 exemption. Are you already 333 exempt? If not, can you share more details about this COA that was granted?

All good. I'm still not clear on your current status though. You said you received a blanket COA, but after double checking the FAA literature, the blanket COA only applies to entities who have received a 333 exemption. Are you already 333 exempt? If not, can you share more details about this COA that was granted?

For sure! Hope this is what ur talking about. I have completed two of four requirements. When I complete the other two my Blanket COA (200 ft. Limit) will be just a COA allowing me to fly up to 500 ft. I personally was hesitant to become exempt as it would restrict how I fly but realized the sooner I'm exempt the sooner I can legally make money which is why I purchased the I1 in the first place. So basically, I'm exempt but don't get get to fly commercially from how I understand. So while I'm exempt, I'm not really! Once I spend months completing a pilot license and intend on doing so asap.

If u haven't applied for exemption, then u can fly at ur own risk breaking the current rules (until caught) which I suspect many r doing while being cautious. I can no longer do that as I have to send in my flight data each month ensuring I fly within the FAA's guide lines.

For sure! Hope this is what ur talking about. I have completed two of four requirements. When I complete the other two my Blanket COA (200 ft. Limit) will be just a COA allowing me to fly up to 500 ft. I personally was hesitant to become exempt as it would restrict how I fly but realized the sooner I'm exempt the sooner I can legally make money which is why I purchased the I1 in the first place. So basically, I'm exempt but don't get get to fly commercially from how I understand. So while I'm exempt, I'm not really! Once I spend months completing a pilot license and intend on doing so asap.

If u haven't applied for exemption, then u can fly at ur own risk breaking the current rules (until caught) which I suspect many r doing while being cautious. I can no longer do that as I have to send in my flight data each month ensuring I fly within the FAA's guide lines.
Ok that makes sense. I feel similarly that the restrictions to operate under the exemption seem extreme for what I would be doing which is a major reason why I've decided to wait until the FAA gets their act together. Thanks for clearing up my confusion and best of luck with the rest of the process.

Both of these activities are illegal currently. Most people aren't even aware there are laws on the books about what you can and can't do with drones. We really need better education and enforcement...Ignorantia juris non excusat

Why not post a link to these Laws so we all can see them please.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters