Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Problems with cinematic footage being choppy

Reaction score
I am having real problems getting footage that looks anywhere smooth when using 'cinematic' settings. I've seen loads of youtube videos that show fantastic footage at 24FPS, but mine all look awful choppy and for me not watchable.

So I have a completely rubbish example here, just 14 seconds worth of two test clips if you can be bothered to download it. Shot in 4K at 24FPS with 1/50 shutter speed. This should be the magic recipe for cinematic footage, but I just see it as choppy. If I watch it scaled right down (light you might on youtube it isn't as bad, but watching it in native 4K just offends me). Obviously I can change to 30 or 60FPS, 60 especially is very smooth, but I feel I must be doing something wrong, or not doing something....

This is just a cut clip, no other effects so ignore the colours etc, I'm just interested in feedback on the choppiness and how to make it smoother - is there something I need to be applying in post (FCPX)? Feedback appreciated.

Dropbox - 4k 24fps test.mov

I am having real problems getting footage that looks anywhere smooth when using 'cinematic' settings. I've seen loads of youtube videos that show fantastic footage at 24FPS, but mine all look awful choppy and for me not watchable.

So I have a completely rubbish example here, just 14 seconds worth of two test clips if you can be bothered to download it. Shot in 4K at 24FPS with 1/50 shutter speed. This should be the magic recipe for cinematic footage, but I just see it as choppy. If I watch it scaled right down (light you might on youtube it isn't as bad, but watching it in native 4K just offends me). Obviously I can change to 30 or 60FPS, 60 especially is very smooth, but I feel I must be doing something wrong, or not doing something....

This is just a cut clip, no other effects so ignore the colours etc, I'm just interested in feedback on the choppiness and how to make it smoother - is there something I need to be applying in post (FCPX)? Feedback appreciated.

I wonder if this has been covered anywhere previously?....... Hmmmmm

X5 4K, 2.7K video is choppy (double frame)
Inspire 1 / Choppy video
Why can't I get smooth footage from the X5
Video choppy?? Your Inspire might be the problem! Dropped frames confirmed!
Can't get video correct, need tips
Video problems

watching it on my iphone i don't see it as choppy... or maybe because i need coffee at 7am just waking up [emoji15]

what are you trying to achieve? you want smooth slowmo footage?

I'm viewing in a 5K iMac, maxed out. Plays my 60fps 4K video just fine so don't believe it's a machine me spec problem.

I haven't checked for duplicate frames but will do shortly, although again as I get great 4K 60FPS footage don't think it's that....

What am I trying to achieve - well just experimenting and trying to get the right settings for general footage and following the guidelines for cinematic.

I imagine on a small screen it doesn't show the choppiness but certainly does when views at full 4K.

I'm viewing in a 5K iMac, maxed out. Plays my 60fps 4K video just fine so don't believe it's a machine me spec problem.

I haven't checked for duplicate frames but will do shortly, although again as I get great 4K 60FPS footage don't think it's that....

What am I trying to achieve - well just experimenting and trying to get the right settings for general footage and following the guidelines for cinematic.

I imagine on a small screen it doesn't show the choppiness but certainly does when views at full 4K.

Just saw the footage on a bigger screen and yes I see a slight choppy image.....what drone/camera combo were you using to film this? (just curious).

I just received my Inspire 2 on Wednesday this week and took it out for its first flight..just a quick test flight to test firmware and the quality of the image.

Auto WB and AF on this (that is why sudden exposure changes - don't mind it) - shot this in 4K (H264 / 29.97) = Still waiting on y CineSSD to be shipped by DJI

Here is the test video I took - wanted to see how it responds with fast pan moves - 4K turns out clear - still have to test it on TV UHD 4K to see its full potential (I was hoping it would not have choppy images..just read your post before even testing it out)

Just saw the footage on a bigger screen and yes I see a slight choppy image.....what drone/camera combo were you using to film this? (just curious).

I just received my Inspire 2 on Wednesday this week and took it out for its first flight..just a quick test flight to test firmware and the quality of the image.

Auto WB and AF on this (that is why sudden exposure changes - don't mind it) - shot this in 4K (H264 / 29.97) = Still waiting on y CineSSD to be shipped by DJI

Here is the test video I took - wanted to see how it responds with fast pan moves - 4K turns out clear - still have to test it on TV UHD 4K to see its full potential (I was hoping it would not have choppy images..just read your post before even testing it out)

Shot with Inspire 2, X5S, olympus 17mm.

Just watched yours on my iMac 5K, and yours is only choppy on the fast pans which is to be expected, but there aren't many moving shots to compare against mine.

If I shoot in 30FPS mine is smoother and 60FPS is buttery smooth :) But I am just wondering how people get it smooth at 24FPS. I see someone in another thread talking about switching on optical flow in Final Cut Pro which I have yet to try,

Shot with Inspire 2, X5S, olympus 17mm.

Just watched yours on my iMac 5K, and yours is only choppy on the fast pans which is to be expected, but there aren't many moving shots to compare against mine.

If I shoot in 30FPS mine is smoother and 60FPS is buttery smooth :) But I am just wondering how people get it smooth at 24FPS. I see someone in another thread talking about switching on optical flow in Final Cut Pro which I have yet to try,

Yeah wanted to see how far I could push it with the pans - I have a feeling the choppy issue you are having is just a minor PP fix - I can't say much on Final Cut as I haven't used it for the past 2 or more years.

I will try more today to film more tracking shots and see if I get that choppy image (hopefully not) - lets see, I will post as soon as I am done.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SUPER-WEB-DEVELOPMENT-LLP