Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Prop Locks?

Reaction score
Hello,
Don't own an Inspire as or yet. Was a little afraid to be the first kid on the block
I see reference to "prop locks".
Does the Inspire not not have self tightening props?
What is the need for prop locks?
thanks

Hello,
Don't own an Inspire as or yet. Was a little afraid to be the first kid on the block
I see reference to "prop locks".
Does the Inspire not not have self tightening props?
What is the need for prop locks?
thanks
Could come off during flight. Prop locks next week. The craft is awesome tho

Thanks, but are they not self tightening.
Guess I just don't understand exactly what the problem is.
They do seem awesome though.

Thanks, but are they not self tightening.
Guess I just don't understand exactly what the problem is.
They do seem awesome though.
Self locking they are but its been a crash maybe pilots negligence so dji came out with locks. 3200 hundo take no chances i say

They are self tightening. The problem is that the blades are quite large so they have quite a bit of momentum. If for some reason they spin faster than the motors allow, they can come loose. A good way to cover yourself is with prop locks. Until then, a strong hand-tightening along with avoiding quick changes in direction will have to do for the more willing to risk it.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Seems what they are saying is if the props are not properly hand tightened a sudden slow down of the motors during flight could cause a prop to unscrew.
Sounds odd, but must be possible.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Anyone know how they work?

Yes... Here's a picture of a DJI prop lock close up !:D
31CiQL51heL._SX342_.jpg

Do not be worried about Prop LOCK . The Phantom has the same propellers and I have not heard of this problem. This could also happen with this model. However, in the situation in which this could happen would be that if there is a defect in the engine and it stops abruptly. Which anyway would fall inspires. Chances are pretty minimal for that happens.

It also has it in the situation where the winds would be strong enough that an engine stop suddenly to compensate for stabilization.

There has been a recent update made by DJI to decrease the motor speed gradually to prevent the motor stops too quickly.

If you tighten your propeller you will not have this problem But for those who do not want to take any chances, what I propose as a solution is to add a little blue thread lock on the engine's shaft with a qtips. But you have to put the threadlock whenever you remove propellers and replace it. Taking care not to put threadlock on the props. It takes at least half an hour before the threadlock take effect

It happened to me during my 18 years of flying with RC helicopters that motor nuts that holding the fan is unscrewed because of a backfire or if the engine start in reverse.

Take time to check your prop before each flight and you will not have any problem!

The Phantom has the same propellers and I have not heard of this problem.

The Phantom does not have the same propellers. The Phantom has 9" props and the Inspire has 13" props. The ones on the Inspire have double the sweep area of the Phantom's, and are much more massive and therefore contain more spinning inertia.

Ok, better understanding now.
Sound like with a little precaution (hand tightening) one should be pretty safe.
Unless I was going to leave the props on for extended periods I wouldn't be too crazy about using loctite.
On my 2+ I normally just spin them on, but with the larger props and more powerful motors on the Inspire I probably would
be more cautious.
Anyway, thanks for the comments.
Now, how to convince the wife this is really a good idea.
Humm.

All of you: please be aware that Loctite and plastic do not mix well. While the Inspire has props that contain some CF reinforcement, they are for the most part plastic. Loctite, even the weaker blue version, will degrade plastic over time. So if you get any on the plastic part of the Inspire hub, you are taking a chance that the prop will fail, even with the new prop locks installed.Don't compound the problem with another issue that will be added on top of the prop fly-off issue. In my opinion, ensuring that the props are hand -tightened snug, and avoiding extreme maneuvers will make the chance of a fly-off astronomically small.

All of you: please be aware that Loctite and plastic do not mix well. While the Inspire has props that contain some CF reinforcement, they are for the most part plastic. Loctite, even the weaker blue version, will degrade plastic over time. So if you get any on the plastic part of the Inspire hub, you are taking a chance that the prop will fail, even with the new prop locks installed.Don't compound the problem with another issue that will be added on top of the prop fly-off issue. In my opinion, ensuring that the props are hand -tightened snug, and avoiding extreme maneuvers will make the chance of a fly-off astronomically small.

61 mph , att.
30 mph bank turns.
Loctite half of half an eye drop and upside down dry. Hand tight i think has been sufficient but...

Plumbers tape maybe the best option. Although i1 prop hub and thread is all metal inside. Don't let it run down permatex medium strength blue. Apply with q tip hardly a drop. Tightens even better after after removing. But plumbers tape is the best i think
As long as you keep only a metal-to-metal contact, not a problem. However, applying it to these small threads at the flying location maybe a bit more problematic..especially if it is windy/cold...etc. If I was going to use a thread locking material, would prefer one that will not attack plastic

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters