Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Prores/CinemaDNG License in the event of crash/loss/theft

Reaction score
I'm in the process of insurance shopping at the moment, and had a question: how are the Prores/CinemaDNG licenses handled in the event of a crash that destroys the I2 body or if the I2 body is lost, stolen or irretrievable (falls into a lake?). Can you transfer your license to a new replacement body, or do you need to purchase them anew? (in which case I'll add their cost to the insurance coverage).

I'm in the process of insurance shopping at the moment, and had a question: how are the Prores/CinemaDNG licenses handled in the event of a crash that destroys the I2 body or if the I2 body is lost, stolen or irretrievable (falls into a lake?). Can you transfer your license to a new replacement body, or do you need to purchase them anew? (in which case I'll add their cost to the insurance coverage).
You should be able to simply transfer the licence (well YOU can't but DJI can).
Get this in writing from DJI though (I know it will be painful to get anything resembling a coherent answer out of them).

This had been discussed before on another forum.. The only time DJI will transfer a license is if you have DJI Card and suffer a crash / replacement.

If you crash your bird and purchase a new drone, you will have to purchase a new license. This was backed up by a DJI rep on another forum.

There may be the possibility if you turn over your crashed hull to DJI they may be willing to transfer the license for you, but i can grantee you they wouldn't return the hull to you, as the licenses are tied to the serial number.

Reactions: DECinHSV
Jason, you mean the only time would be if you have DJI Care and the replacement is under the auspices of DJI Care? Thanks. Guess I'll include the price of the licenses + ssd in the hull/payload then and cover it for $7000.

This had been discussed before on another forum.. The only time DJI will transfer a license is if you have DJI Card and suffer a crash / replacement.

If you crash your bird and purchase a new drone, you will have to purchase a new license. This was backed up by a DJI rep on another forum.

There may be the possibility if you turn over your crashed hull to DJI they may be willing to transfer the license for you, but i can grantee you they wouldn't return the hull to you, as the licenses are tied to the serial number.
However, DJI ARE able to transfer a 'license' to another serial number - it will depend on the circumstances (and strict terms of the granted licence)

However, DJI ARE able to transfer a 'license' to another serial number - it will depend on the circumstances (and strict terms of the granted licence)

They don't actually "Transfer" the license, They assign a new license to the new Drone, and since the old license remains on the old Hull, they keep it, so that you don't end up with two licenses.

Hmm.. the situation I'm concerned about is what happens if I lose the drone somewhere unretrievable, like the ocean? I suppose the flight log of the crash might be sufficient for DJI to allow the license to be moved to a new drone, but who knows..

Reactions: Mike Harmon
They don't actually "Transfer" the license, They assign a new license to the new Drone, and since the old license remains on the old Hull, they keep it, so that you don't end up with two licenses.
Jason, I'm not questioning your info, but are you saying that from experience or have you read it somewhere? (a new license is generated for another aircraft) Thx in advance ~

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84