Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Question about Search and Rescue volunteering

Reaction score
Hypothetical question:

As a 107 Pilot with an extensive fleet of quadrotor and fixed wing UASs, let's say I wanted to inform my local state police barracks and local FD/Rescue units that my company stands ready to assist with our equipment and personnel with emergency search and rescue operations on a pro-bono basis (for true emergencies only). Would I need a blanket COA to be able to do so? And if so, would I need a LEO/FD sponsor?

I've been interested in this too. According to part 107, commercial SAR operations by drone can only be undertaken by government agency, and only then with an emergency COA. They are supposed to be clarifying the rules "this winter" for non-government agencies but for now you have to go through the regular COA process. There have been other instances where hobbyists have helped with flood mapping and searches for people, but these are kind of ersatz efforts that fly under the radar.

Hi Doc_Bison: "According to part 107, commercial SAR operations by drone can only be undertaken by government agency, and only then with an emergency COA."

Where does it say that in Part 107? I can't find that.

Hypothetical question:

As a 107 Pilot with an extensive fleet of quadrotor and fixed wing UASs, let's say I wanted to inform my local state police barracks and local FD/Rescue units that my company stands ready to assist with our equipment and personnel with emergency search and rescue operations on a pro-bono basis (for true emergencies only). Would I need a blanket COA to be able to do so? And if so, would I need a LEO/FD sponsor?
The FAA person I asked this question told me you can assist any agency AS LONG AS you operate within the strict regulations provided in Part 107.(no night flying, no flying directly over people, etc. etc.)

Reactions: William Gaddy
I've been interested in this too. According to part 107, commercial SAR operations by drone can only be undertaken by government agency, and only then with an emergency COA. They are supposed to be clarifying the rules "this winter" for non-government agencies but for now you have to go through the regular COA process. There have been other instances where hobbyists have helped with flood mapping and searches for people, but these are kind of ersatz efforts that fly under the radar.

"According to part 107, commercial SAR operations by drone can only be undertaken by government agency, and only then with an emergency COA" ??? Can't find anything in Part 107 that states this...

The FAA person I asked this question told me you can assist any agency AS LONG AS you operate within the strict regulations provided in Part 107.(no night flying, no flying directly over people, etc. etc.)
In fact, the new rules allow public agencies to skip the public COA process and chose to operate under 107.

That's what the FSDO told me as well, but always to double-and-triple check is good, because sometimes they might not always be totally up-to-speed with the rapid rate of changes going on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop