Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Real estate pay hits rock bottom!

Reaction score
Website
www.video-vermont.com
The following is an exchange on thumbtack with a realtor:
  • need a few pictures of the view from my land I am selling in Newport NH

• Need your physical address so I can look it up on Google Earth and find out if there are any obstructions, such as trees, power lines, cell towers etc

• JG
    481 east mountain Rd Newport I don't think there is it's a 12 acre parcel

• Just had a look, and wondering what kind of shots you might want since the property seems surrounded by trees

• JG
      When you get to the cleared spot there is panoramic views of mount Sunapee. It's right there. No trees blocking it

• okay, thanks. I can do this for $250, cash or cheque upon delivery which will immediately following the flight. I can give you up to 10 high res images. Mission date/time dependent on weather. Can be there on 24 hours notice provided weather is okay.

• JG
      Sorry that's really high. I have a photographer who takes pictures of the whole house and then drone pics for $200. I was looking for someone for less than that since I only need a few pics of land. I'm a real estate agent. Thank you for your quote though.

• My price takes into account travel, equipment, insurance and licensing. You should be aware that if you hire an unlicensed pilot you could be subject to a $10,000 fine

The following is an exchange on thumbtack with a realtor:
  • need a few pictures of the view from my land I am selling in Newport NH

• Need your physical address so I can look it up on Google Earth and find out if there are any obstructions, such as trees, power lines, cell towers etc

• JG
    481 east mountain Rd Newport I don't think there is it's a 12 acre parcel

• Just had a look, and wondering what kind of shots you might want since the property seems surrounded by trees

• JG
      When you get to the cleared spot there is panoramic views of mount Sunapee. It's right there. No trees blocking it

• okay, thanks. I can do this for $250, cash or cheque upon delivery which will immediately following the flight. I can give you up to 10 high res images. Mission date/time dependent on weather. Can be there on 24 hours notice provided weather is okay.

• JG
      Sorry that's really high. I have a photographer who takes pictures of the whole house and then drone pics for $200. I was looking for someone for less than that since I only need a few pics of land. I'm a real estate agent. Thank you for your quote though.

• My price takes into account travel, equipment, insurance and licensing. You should be aware that if you hire an unlicensed pilot you could be subject to a $10,000 fine

I get this all the time.. "I need aerial of 20 acres. Max budget $150"... PFFFST. Please.

Ya... thumbtack is a joke. I went almost two years before getting a gig through them. Had all but given up. Ive done 3 jobs total on there. I no longer bother quoting residential...commercial only and they are cheapskates too...$250 is the least I will do a shoot for.

Photography work just doesn't pay anymore.

Rural mountain restaurant has business cards from some woman who does equestrian photos for $40 including the prints. Costs more to drive a truck there and back much less provide photos too. She must be a horse lover to do it so cheap.

Realtors make a haul out of their commission percentage, but are very cheap to pay anyone for anything. I've seen them get out of their $85,000 Cadillac Escalades and do cellphone snappies after putting up a For Sale sign. I know a sign company that got stiffed by one realtor as well as one local politician.

Reactions: Highrpm955
Photography work just doesn't pay anymore.

Nothing has really changed, same thing applies to aerial photography. If someone wants to buy a drone and "start a business", their chance of success is very low. The cream rises to the top. Without an established reputation as an excellent photographer, without a storefront, without offering other services, you will just be fighting over nickels and dimes. I also see the framed photographs for sale for $40 in restaurant entry ways and I look them over, silently critiquing them, knowing that I sell more $ of photographs in an average day than that person will sell in 10 lifetimes. What I have said here applies just as much to horse photography, wedding photography, real estate photography or aerial photography.

Reactions: kcobello
Nothing has really changed, same thing applies to aerial photography. If someone wants to buy a drone and "start a business", their chance of success is very low. The cream rises to the top. Without an established reputation as an excellent photographer, without a storefront, without offering other services, you will just be fighting over nickels and dimes. I also see the framed photographs for sale for $40 in restaurant entry ways and I look them over, silently critiquing them, knowing that I sell more $ of photographs in an average day than that person will sell in 10 lifetimes. What I have said here applies just as much to horse photography, wedding photography, real estate photography or aerial photography.

Well, what is inevitable as that when the tools of the trade get commoditized, it's not surprising that there's a race to the bottom. In photography, this has happened. Anyone can by a Canon Elph and suddenly they're David Fincher and Jeff Cronenweth... Photography is one thing. But drone piloting (commercially) at least requires a license, insurance, (and sometimes a film permit)... what's galling are all the people who buy a P3 at Best Buy and are willing to fly for $20, when the insurance alone costs at least $10 (Verifly) and gas and wear and tear just getting to the job site is likely at least that. I just don't get it. Who ARE these idiots flying jobs for $20?

Guys doing this don't have insurance guaranteed. And if someone says they do it for that rate and they DO have insurance, they are taking a loss or lying.

Not sure I believe other posts that said they were doing it for $20 and they have 107. That doesn't add up.

In another post, the guy said, I do it because I'm having fin and why not make a couple bucks while I'm at it....

The answer to that is go to a flying field and fly your brains out. Because not only are you LOSING money, but you screw it up for pros.

Last edited:
I was asked to gather images of areas in our community. The area is an island and has 3 airports within 5 miles class B and D airspace that almost intersect the flight areas. One airport is enhanced E outside the D. Waivers will have to be applied for. There are about 15 locations. The pay is a $400 sponsorship on the game board they are making with the images. NOPE.

Don't panic. I've seen this cycle repeat itself many times. When technology and low prices allow anybody and everybody to get in the game there is an big upswing of people trying to break into the business and willing to go very cheap thinking they will gain clients and experience. They fall out pretty quick. Most clients soon realize that images that are not "amazing" can do more harm than good. The old adage that it's the magician - not the wand - will soon be apparent. For those clients that just won't spend the money - quit wasting your time - they will always be low producers in the RE game.

Yes it is aggravating as hell, but if you are a true professional you'll see this as a passing phase. I often let clients know that - you can certainly find someone that chargers less for this service but you might be throwing away good money. This is an investment and as a general rule you get what you pay for.
I also recommend that they ask to see examples of the other fellows work. If you don't see what you want for your shoot, you will be disappointed and will have wasted good money that could have gone into a properly produced video or photo session. Your portfolio is key. Make sure they have a look at your best work before you meet. And then deliver what you promised.
I have done quite a few jobs after first losing the job to a amateur that promised the moon and then failed to deliver. Most of those clients end up apologizing and saying: "I'll never make that mistake again."
So just hang in there and know that This too will pass.

When I bought my Inspire 1 in 2015 and went for the 333. I saw the hand writing on the wall real fast. I did the 4th of July fireworks here and there was some excitement from the city organizers and police about doing it, so we did it the way it should've been done. On the night of the 4th, about 15 drones showed up. I bought mine to fly for fun and do recreational fun videos like looking for wild game. I have done a few fishing, bow fishing, and gator hunting videos. I personally know 4 people here thinking they will make a living doing real estate, I know they're in for a rude awakening, have fun and fly safely!!

Don't panic. I've seen this cycle repeat itself many times. When technology and low prices allow anybody and everybody to get in the game there is an big upswing of people trying to break into the business and willing to go very cheap thinking they will gain clients and experience. They fall out pretty quick. Most clients soon realize that images that are not "amazing" can do more harm than good. The old adage that it's the magician - not the wand - will soon be apparent. For those clients that just won't spend the money - quit wasting your time - they will always be low producers in the RE game.

Yes it is aggravating as hell, but if you are a true professional you'll see this as a passing phase. I often let clients know that - you can certainly find someone that chargers less for this service but you might be throwing away good money. This is an investment and as a general rule you get what you pay for.
I also recommend that they ask to see examples of the other fellows work. If you don't see what you want for your shoot, you will be disappointed and will have wasted good money that could have gone into a properly produced video or photo session. Your portfolio is key. Make sure they have a look at your best work before you meet. And then deliver what you promised.
I have done quite a few jobs after first losing the job to a amateur that promised the moon and then failed to deliver. Most of those clients end up apologizing and saying: "I'll never make that mistake again."
So just hang in there and know that This too will pass.
Equipment is so cheap that even the clients are buying and calling themselves PROFESSIONALS!! All they have to do is buy a P 4 and they're in business because it's called The Phantom 4 Professional......

On the other hand, some of these real state companies "are" professional and you can hook up with a good company in the space and help them or become part of the team.
This is a short video we did (hastily) showing one of these companies on the move.
So what is all of the beeping about? its the sound of updating the software on 60 DJI Inspire 2 systems bound for a big Real Estate corporation. UAVExperts.com just finished building, updating, configuring and test flying these 60 Inspire 2 systems with full Pro Rez license for one of our many corporate and industrial clients. This is the first batch moving toward 150 to 180 systems.

Welcome to the world of Professional Real Estate Photography.

There are clients who use their iphones to take their MLS photos. These are not the clients you want. Thumbtack, Craig's List and any other bidding type sites attract bottom feeders who mistakenly think that undercutting market pricing is a valid business model. The good news is that they tend to not last, but there is an abundance of these illegal and uninsured operators right now looking to jump on the drone bandwagon without understanding that a business is run to make a profit. Drones are also not your business, your business is providing a profesional service which happens to leverage drone tech and other technology. If you are just thinking drones you are already doomed.

I once sat in on a seminar on drone photography were the speaker revealed his amazing secret of bringing a microSD card duper to instantly give clients their photos. I cringed and walked out, no profesional photographer would ever just give a client unedited, uncropped, non exposure blended and uncorrected photos. The most time consuming part of the job is the post processing work, which is just as important as taking good shots in the first place. My point is there is a lot of bad information out there and there are a lot of hacks, be patient, ride it out and develop profitable clients.

Tip: On all your email correspondence add the link to the FAA airman certificate inquiry FAA Registry - Airmen - AirmenInquiry - Name Search so clients can easily check if a pilot is licensed and include something about how important it is to verify liability insurance. You can also include that it is against the law to hire an unlicensed drone pilot.

There are clients who use their iphones to take their MLS photos. These are not the clients you want. Thumbtack, Craig's List and any other bidding type sites attract bottom feeders who mistakenly think that undercutting market pricing is a valid business model. The good news is that they tend to not last, but there is an abundance of these illegal and uninsured operators right now looking to jump on the drone bandwagon without understanding that a business is run to make a profit. Drones are also not your business, your business is providing a profesional service which happens to leverage drone tech and other technology. If you are just thinking drones you are already doomed.

I once sat in on a seminar on drone photography were the speaker revealed his amazing secret of bringing a microSD card duper to instantly give clients their photos. I cringed and walked out, no profesional photographer would ever just give a client unedited, uncropped, non exposure blended and uncorrected photos. The most time consuming part of the job is the post processing work, which is just as important as taking good shots in the first place. My point is there is a lot of bad information out there and there are a lot of hacks, be patient, ride it out and develop profitable clients.

Tip: On all your email correspondence add the link to the FAA airman certificate inquiry FAA Registry - Airmen - AirmenInquiry - Name Search so clients can easily check if a pilot is licensed and include something about how important it is to verify liability insurance. You can also include that it is against the law to hire an unlicensed drone pilot.

Amen.

Good point about search and liability. I

Good idea to add the link, even on your site.

I wonder if either dronebase Thumbtack , would never join either certify 107 pilots? Perhaps their books should be audited or subject to a class action suit by legitimate operators.

I realized VERY early on that residential real-estate was a bust. That said, I've done fairly well in the commercial/industrial real-estate market, with most invoices @ 4 figures.

D

Reactions: Hammer_155

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan