Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Recertification Test

Reaction score
Website
vantagepoint.video
So I'm due to recertify my Part 107 by Sep 1st and I had a quick question some of you might have some knowledge on.
I still have access to my initial training course I purchased through Drone Pilot Ground School. I know the recertification test is slightly different than the initial test, so do any of you foresee any problems if I just brush up using the same course?
In other words, is there anything new in the recertification test that I will miss if I don't study materials directly relating to the recert test?

Thanks in advance!

Tap into the current wave of study groups.... try to avoid all the 'pay for' study options. Everybody's trying to make a buck.

Part 107 Study Group / Drone Owners Network

Thanks, but not looking for recommendations. As I mentioned, I already have access to a great course (highly recommend) from when I initially got certified in 2016. Just asking if I can brush up using the same course or if there is new material in the recertification test that I need to learn that is different than the initial test.
I know it skips a few subjects like weather and loading performances, but questioning whether they added anything to it.

So I'm due to recertify my Part 107 by Sep 1st and I had a quick question some of you might have some knowledge on.
I still have access to my initial training course I purchased through Drone Pilot Ground School. I know the recertification test is slightly different than the initial test, so do any of you foresee any problems if I just brush up using the same course?
In other words, is there anything new in the recertification test that I will miss if I don't study materials directly relating to the recert test?

Thanks in advance!
Just took my recurrent exam yesterday. Study National Airspace System, regulations and operations. Do not bother with weather (thank God) or loading & performance. Only 40 questions. I got a 93% by missing stupid questions like how many days you have to file a change of address to the FAA. However, now that I know it's 30 days I am a much safer aviator (insert sarcasm avatar here).

And read the questions carefully, the feds test writers are Machiavellian and love to trick you.:eek:

Last edited:
Just took my recurrent exam yesterday. Study National Airspace System, regulations and operations. Do not bother with weather (thank God) or loading & performance. Only 40 questions. I got a 93% by missing stupid questions like how many days you have to file a change of address to the FAA. However, now that I know it's 30 days I am a much safer aviator.

And read the questions carefully, the feds test writers are Machiavellian and love to trick you.:eek:

Thanks! So nothing new compared to the initial test?

Yeah, they try to trick us with those questions way too much!

I certainly don't want to offend anyone for paying for study material.. I would simply make the point that it's not at all necessary. The study group link on FB has a wealth of free access study material recommended by the FAA. And the testing questions will continue to evolve. Some scored higher on the 2nd round due in part to the reduction of less relevant questions.

I took the recurrent test and passed with 95%, read each question thoroughly, review lat. and long., operations, crew management etc. I have a life time membership with Remotepilot 101, so I went back and reviewed what I mentioned above.
So yes, go back and review whatever study material you used last time. I would also recommend this $5.00 app. It has a comprehensive study guide/questions for part 107 (60 question test) and the recurrent test. It’s really good.EAE99202-1AF1-4CAF-A2C6-67039C5EF835.png

Reactions: licensed pilot
I took the recurrent test and passed with 95%, read each question thoroughly, review lat. and long., operations, crew management etc. I have a life time membership with Remotepilot 101, so I went back and reviewed what I mentioned above.
So yes, go back and review whatever study material you used last time. I would also recommend this $5.00 app. It has a comprehensive study guide/questions for part 107 (60 question test) and the recurrent test. It’s really good.View attachment 21520
Awesome, thanks! I'll check out that app.
I think I'm going to review the entire course just to brush up on everything. Even if it's not in the recert test it'll be good as a refresher.
Passed with a 90 originally, maybe I can bump that number up a bit ;)

Reactions: Bigdz
Just took my recurrent exam yesterday. Study National Airspace System, regulations and operations. Do not bother with weather (thank God) or loading & performance. Only 40 questions. I got a 93% by missing stupid questions like how many days you have to file a change of address to the FAA. However, now that I know it's 30 days I am a much safer aviator (insert sarcasm avatar here).

Lol. That’s sort of how I felt with the weather briefing questions. I knew all that from taking private pilot exam years ago, but couldn’t help but wonder why I needed to read a weather briefing to fly a drone.

There is at least one question that's been modified: "You are operating a 1,280 g (2.8 lb) quadcopter for your own enjoyment. What FAA regulation is this sUAS operation subject to? (A) 14 CFR Part 107. (B) 14 CFR Part 48. (C) This operation is not subject to FAA regulations. The answer, B, was originally Part 101(?) or something like that. Now it's Part 48. That's the only change I've noticed.

My study materials came from a simple, but effective, $20 book. Link is here: Remote Pilot Test Prep

I've since purchased their 2019 edition but I didn't have to as they provide free updates here: FAA Knowledge Exams

For those of you who already have your study materials you may want to just check out these updates to see if anything new catches your eye. That one question is the only one I've seen that's different so far.

Just passed the Recurrent Exam with 95%. Attached is a file summarizing my testing experience. IMPORTANT INFORMATION if you are planning on taking the exam.

Attachments

• FAA Remote Recurrent Exam.txt
    3.8 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: ringolong
Thanks for sharing and good recall! What I found particularly baffling the first time I took the test was not being allowed to review the questions I got wrong (note: I passed, just not 100%). I actually wanted to go back so I could learn from my mistakes. Isn't that what the FAA should be promoting? I also found a few of the questions awkwardly phrased and intentionally misleading which to me defeats the purpose of ingraining knowledge in our brains. But all good in the end.

Did you have to file with IACRA again? I passed my test the other day...didn't see a place on IACRA to file - the instructions say not to create another application

Just as a follow up.
Did a very quick review through the main subjects in Drone Pilot Ground School (skipping weather and loadings) and then took their recertification specific test a few times.
Ended up passing with a 100% score on the final test. So yeah, just a little pumped ;)

Thanks again for the previous help guys!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool