Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Replacing motor bearings

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience on replacing the motor bearings?
I have managed to get the motor apart by removing the spring clip on the underside of the motor and then pulling off the top part of the motor, question is.. do I need some kind of bearing puller or is there some other way of extracting the bearing?
Thanks for any advice you can give me..

why would you, buy a new motor and replace the whole thing. if the bearings are bad then you should be thinking.. what else in the motor is probably bad also.

Reactions: Carlsberg
why would you, buy a new motor and replace the whole thing. if the bearings are bad then you should be thinking.. what else in the motor is probably bad also.

not true, it depends why the bearings are bad, and maybe he is upgrading them..... maybe they got hot during flights and the bell and magnets are fine still.

I havent replaced the bearings in the I1 but I have found other posts with their dimensions etc in the past....... If I ever find a ceramic bearing locally to replace it with I will.

In other motors, I simply use a flat balded screwdriver to encourage the bearing to slowly move off the post....... then in carefully press the other one on and make sure its flat.... I havent found it do be a problem without special tools

Reactions: Ftolino
not true, it depends why the bearings are bad, and maybe he is upgrading them..... maybe they got hot during flights and the bell and magnets are fine still.

I havent replaced the bearings in the I1 but I have found other posts with their dimensions etc in the past....... If I ever find a ceramic bearing locally to replace it with I will.

In other motors, I simply use a flat balded screwdriver to encourage the bearing to slowly move off the post....... then in carefully press the other one on and make sure its flat.... I havent found it do be a problem without special tools
Exactly correct m00se, if I buy a new motor it comes with the same cheap crappy bearings!
Its just a question of upgrading.
The size I need is 5x11x5 and the usual steel ball ones can be bought very cheaply and often in bulk packs.
The ceramic ball ones are what I want but as you have already said, finding a good supply of them is a bit tricky (locally)

Can you tell us where to get new motors? The E800 motors that DJI sell do not mount correctly. The only motors I have seen are parted out motors from crashed Inspires on Ebay. Its too bad too because the motor swap is actually a very simple process. Some of us would like to replace the stock bearings with upgraded ceramic bearings as part of a regular maintenance program.

the reason why you don't see much talk about bad motors on here is because they rarely go bad. where would you get a new one? ebay would be the first place i would start looking, odds are you would end up with a frame for 500 bucks that someone crashed and you scabb the motors of that one.

if you go that route then your voiding the warranty because as i've said time and time again, DJI does not want owners doing any work on their inspires, they demand you send it in so they can fix it. sounds like you already took yours apart so sending for free repairs might be out of the question unless you convince them they should honor the warranty and they agree.

most r/c pilots are "do it yourselfers" the inspire 1 is the BMW, Mercedes German made vehicle where the manufacturers want it sent in to the dealer every time even for the simplest of services.

at the first sign of trouble you should had informed dji about the problem and they would had fixed it for you for free and you wouldn't be searching for parts that may or may not work.

the reason why you don't see much talk about bad motors on here is because they rarely go bad. where would you get a new one? ebay would be the first place i would start looking, odds are you would end up with a frame for 500 bucks that someone crashed and you scabb the motors of that one.

if you go that route then your voiding the warranty because as i've said time and time again, DJI does not want owners doing any work on their inspires, they demand you send it in so they can fix it. sounds like you already took yours apart so sending for free repairs might be out of the question unless you convince them they should honor the warranty and they agree.

most r/c pilots are "do it yourselfers" the inspire 1 is the BMW, Mercedes German made vehicle where the manufacturers want it sent in to the dealer every time even for the simplest of services.

at the first sign of trouble you should had informed dji about the problem and they would had fixed it for you for free and you wouldn't be searching for parts that may or may not work.

DJI offers free repairs? o_O

While the Inspire may be a nice aircraft, its is hardly anywhere near the realm of Mercedes or BMW. First off, when i send my Merc in for work I don't get it back 8 weeks later. Second, the motor is not held in by 6 allen keys and two connectors. All we are asking for is the ability to service our aircraft without removing them from service for weeks on end.

Does anyone have any experience on replacing the motor bearings?
I have managed to get the motor apart by removing the spring clip on the underside of the motor and then pulling off the top part of the motor, question is.. do I need some kind of bearing puller or is there some other way of extracting the bearing?
Thanks for any advice you can give me..
Contact Boca bearings, they have the bearings and tool. you can also just tap them out with a screwdriver

I have the bearings. Got them from Boca Bearings. They don't have the tool. You can smash them out with a screwdriver. Some will go, others will not. I can show you a motor that even with heat applied, the bearing did not come out. The motor was eventually scrap, and so we tried to see just how much heat was necessary and the solder on the wires melted before the bearing budged. I do not recommend the 'tap with screwdriver' method.

Also, the bearings that came out of the motor when put on a 5mm rod and spun next to the replacement ceramic bearings, sound like they have rocks in them. The DJI bearings are junk.

Also, the bearings that came out of the motor when put on a 5mm rod and spun next to the replacement ceramic bearings, sound like they have rocks in them. The DJI bearings are junk.
Can one ask how many hours you have been flying with those bearings?

Hope this helps. An I've heard they use shity bearings . Just an FYI

Attachments

• 1474414388307-1446340460.jpg
    1474414388307-1446340460.jpg
    552.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 14744144220921196302215.jpg
    14744144220921196302215.jpg
    599.2 KB · Views: 41
Here's the part number on the invoice.

Attachments

• 14744152124501413407072.jpg
    14744152124501413407072.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 41
Says sold out I didn't have a problem with the bearings I'd rather have a e clip remover and installer then watching it go flying

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo