Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Sample exam for Unmanned Aircraft General (UAG) Certificate

There are a few training companies that are cheat sheeting their students towards the exams. Very successfully as well. Their database with questions and verified answers is kept in the 'locker'. They will never share it with the world.
The one I know (close firend) collects and records verified answers for some decades now. He also digs really deep into the matter and carefully explains why the answers are what they are.

I think in a class room situation test exams and keys work brilliantly. But only if the answers are discussed and explained. In a on line test it's not possible to check wether the student has studied and understood the material or is just seeing familiar patterns.

There are a few training companies that are cheat sheeting their students towards the exams. Very successfully as well. Their database with questions and verified answers is kept in the 'locker'. They will never share it with the world.
The one I know (close firend) collects and records verified answers for some decades now. He also digs really deep into the matter and carefully explains why the answers are what they are.

I think in a class room situation test exams and keys work brilliantly. But only if the answers are discussed and explained. In a on line test it's not possible to check wether the student has studied and understood the material or is just seeing familiar patterns.
Agree, generally. I've taught criminal justice at the college level since 2002. If test keys are used as a crutch and without thorough study, then they will not be effective. However, they do "close the circle" as a pedagogical tool, and provide that immediate feedback to the student. Should never be used to replace the learning process. A test, even a mock one, w/o a test key does not close the feedback loop; an essentiall step with students, particularly millennials who require that immediate feedback. I understand why CATS, a for profit company, keeps the answers secure; I fail to understand why the FAA (well, I fail to understand a lot about the FAA WAYS) treats the test key for this sample test as a national secret.

So now, to fly an Inspire 1, I have to have the same license as a fella flying a Carbon Cub?

Frankly, I think this is stupid. It's over-kill.

Just my two cents.

No you don't. This is for commercial operators only. The FAA has never required RC flyers to have an FAA certificate. Read SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT. Hobbyists don't need a remote pilot certificate if:
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and
(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)).

Special Rule for Model Aircraft Remains Federal Law | AMA Government Relations Blog

Okay, thank you, LP, for the clarification. Much appreciated.

Still it looks like over-kill for someone limited to 400 feet above ground and line-of-sight flying. Then again, the total tonnage of what I don't understand would be enough to sink a Nimitz Class aircraft carrier!

That second link to the booklet included "Sport Pilot," which would apply light sport aircraft, such as the Icon A5 and the Carbon Cub, either of which I would love to own.

Okay, thank you, LP, for the clarification. Much appreciated.

Still it looks like over-kill for someone limited to 400 feet above ground and line-of-sight flying. Then again, the total tonnage of what I don't understand would be enough to sink a Nimitz Class aircraft carrier!

That second link to the booklet included "Sport Pilot," which would apply light sport aircraft, such as the Icon A5 and the Carbon Cub, either of which I would love to own.

Well, I agree with you that the initial FAA response was a bit over the top (requiring manned aircraft pilot licenses for commercial operators) but the FAA was only reacting to their organizational culture (as a licensed pilot since 1970 I assure you the FAA is an organization of mostly pilots and that is how they think /which is logical).

It is only safe and reasonable to ensure operators in the National Airspace have the necessary aeronautical knowledge to do so safely and the written exam now does that. Keep in mind the feds are not only considering consumer level Phantoms and Yuneecs, but very large UAVs under 55 lbs. operated by large companies and the safety of manned aircraft in this mix. The 400 foot limit still involves large numbers of public safety and EMS helicopters plus fixed wing aircraft involved in take off and landings and other low level activities (we r not the only one taking photos.)

Are we still going to have commercial operators flying like yahoos? Of course. But now they also risk their remote pilot certificate, in addition to other local penalties.

Reactions: Bigdz
The FAA did away with PTS Practical test standards and implemented ACS airmen certificate standards a while back. Basically the old Gleim big red book (all 654 questions, answers and the reason why) is a thing of the past. The FAA stopped updating the question banks years ago despite many books still published testing guides. That's the key point, they are meant as testing guides after you've completed training, though many people just crammed using the guide and got passing scores. Not so tough for private pilot, or instrument rating with only a couple hundred question, and a bit tougher for ATP's. It won't take long for a drone test guide to be published. I personally already explored the idea, publishing, and updating and determined that it's not even worth the hassle compared to the profitability. Some of the larger training companies will try to fool some folks into believing that's it's necessary but the process, the material, and the guides will be prolific within months, for free.

The FAA did away with PTS Practical test standards and implemented ACS airmen certificate standards a while back. Basically the old Gleim big red book (all 654 questions, answers and the reason why) is a thing of the past. The FAA stopped updating the question banks years ago despite many books still published testing guides. That's the key point, they are meant as testing guides after you've completed training, though many people just crammed using the guide and got passing scores. Not so tough for private pilot, or instrument rating with only a couple hundred question, and a bit tougher for ATP's. It won't take long for a drone test guide to be published. I personally already explored the idea, publishing, and updating and determined that it's not even worth the hassle compared to the profitability. Some of the larger training companies will try to fool some folks into believing that's it's necessary but the process, the material, and the guides will be prolific within months, for free.

"Gleim big red book" doesn't ring a bell must have been before my time...I think I was a pilot before Pontius.

I took the prep course from remotepilot101.com ... very informative and comprehensive study guide and videos. Taking the Exam in T-minus 3 hours at my local KTC.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alecia4669